Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elvis' childhood friend Sam Bell who grew up with him in Tupelo

Re: Elvis' childhood friend Sam Bell who grew up with him in Tupelo

There are many many great stories about Elvis and his upbringing, his respect and love of all kinds of music including black music.
    Country artists do not claim Elvis stole country music, nor do gospel artists, nor does Dean Martins children, and by the same token no one accuses Chuck Berry, Fats Domino or Ray Charles of stealing country since all had influences from the Grand old Opry-even Chucks first hit the song "Maybelline" was very close to a Bob Wills song "Ida Red"....no one has attacked him for his influences.
    The truth about Elvis and his influences is not hidden, it is not played down, it is not whitewashed-my goodness it is the idea of the melting pot of style that is the Elvis rock story-the fact is the truth is ignored and claimed to be lies.
    You can tell the truth, you can prove the truth but you can not make someone believe the truth who does not want to believe it.
    There is no magic pill, nor publicity campaign that will force belief-if those who do not believe-do not wish to see truth.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    There are many many great stories about Elvis and his upbringing, his respect and love of all kinds of music including black music.
    Country artists do not claim Elvis stole country music, nor do gospel artists, nor does Dean Martins children, and by the same token no one accuses Chuck Berry, Fats Domino or Ray Charles of stealing country since all had influences from the Grand old Opry-even Chucks first hit the song "Maybelline" was very close to a Bob Wills song "Ida Red"....no one has attacked him for his influences.
    The truth about Elvis and his influences is not hidden, it is not played down, it is not whitewashed-my goodness it is the idea of the melting pot of style that is the Elvis rock story-the fact is the truth is ignored and claimed to be lies.
    You can tell the truth, you can prove the truth but you can not make someone believe the truth who does not want to believe it.
    There is no magic pill, nor publicity campaign that will force belief-if those who do not believe-do not wish to see truth.
    I can't argue with that. And you bring up a great point on how Berry and Charles both took from Country music and called it their own. It's no different in what Elvis would do a couple years later. It's a double standard if you ask me when one race (blacks) can claim one thing when they are just as guilty for the same thing they are claiming. This is why I do not support affirmative action anymore. It's one sided when it is not no longer needed.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    I can't argue with that. And you bring up a great point on how Berry and Charles both took from Country music and called it their own. It's no different in what Elvis would do a couple years later. It's a double standard if you ask me when one race (blacks) can claim one thing when they are just as guilty for the same thing they are claiming. This is why I do not support affirmative action anymore. It's one sided when it is not no longer needed.
    That is another bone of contention which is hard to impress upon young people-Elvis had begun developing his style from the moment he got his first guitar in 48. Elvis was singing in Memphis at school, on his porch, with others etc....starting in Junior High.....according to Red, Sonny, GK, Jerry.....he went to Sun in 53 and had his first songs released "Thats Alright Mama/Blue Moon of Kentucky" in 54......he began touring and had club dates starting then-Chuch Berry, Little Richard and Bo Diddley all had their first hits in 55. Elvis was a year ahead of them all with "Thats Alright Mama" in 54.
    But try and point that out to someone who just automatically repeats what they have heard- that Elvis stole his music from Berry, Richard and Diddley and they were the real pioneers.
    I have tried correcting this misinformation a dozen times with people in person and on the Net-they just simply call me a liar or worse a racist protecting the "Image of Elvis"
    The facts have always been known, have always been on record for anyone who knows anything about the birth of Rock-but today they are ignored because the myth that Elvis stole his style-is what some want and seem to need to believe.
    There is no denying Elvis was influenced by black musicians just as he was by all the styles which make up rock-but until 1955 when the major players of Berry, Diddley and Richard had their first hits-he had never heard of them-how could he steal in 53-what he had not even heard yet.
    Now I point this out to anyone who uses the word steal in relation to Elvis music-and the couple years difference in record releases-but it is not accepted.
    Work in Progress!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123