Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Elvis Holy Land Experience-what's your take?

The Elvis Holy Land Experience-what's your take?

I'm sure you all have by now read or heard about this new project by EPE and the Israel tour company that is taking a group of Elvis fans to the Hold Land on an Elvis-themed religious adventure. To me, I find it pushing the envelop to a limit by EPE. However, I also see Israel using Elvis to draw in tourism in a country facing possible war fare with Iran by agreeing to go along with it. I'm on the fence with this. A part of me feels that it's crossing the line by involving Elvis-an entertainer and Jesus-the savior, while another part of me feels it's maybe a good thing to grow more world attention to Elvis and possibly new fans. But what would Elvis have thought of it? In my own opinion. I feel that he would have said it's going too far and wouldn't have agreed with his own estate participating in it as it singles out other religions. Elvis was Christian, but he also studied other religious beliefs such as Islam among others.

What is your personal take on this controversial tour?
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Re: The Elvis Holy Land Experience-what's your take?

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Elvis was Christian, but he also studied other religious beliefs such as Islam among others.
    Elvis never studied Islam. Ever.

He may not have studied it, but I'm sure he was aware of it. Anyway,how do you know???
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif

I'm sure you all have by now read or heard about this new project by EPE and the Israel tour company that is taking a group of Elvis fans to the Hold Land on an Elvis-themed religious adventure. To me, I find it pushing the envelop to a limit by EPE. However, I also see Israel using Elvis to draw in tourism in a country facing possible war fare with Iran by agreeing to go along with it. I'm on the fence with this. A part of me feels that it's crossing the line by involving Elvis-an entertainer and Jesus-the savior, while another part of me feels it's maybe a good thing to grow more world attention to Elvis and possibly new fans. But what would Elvis have thought of it? In my own opinion. I feel that he would have said it's going too far and wouldn't have agreed with his own estate participating in it as it singles out other religions. Elvis was Christian, but he also studied other religious beliefs such as Islam among others.

What is your personal take on this controversial tour?
    Man,this is a hot one. As this is not a political forum I will not give my full personal views on this except to say I feel EPE should stay away from this one. Elvis was very apolitical and did not air his political views in public, for this reason I believe he would treat this the same way.
    Not sure what what EPE hopes to achieve by this. Are they working hand in hand with the US government or just chasing the almighty dollar?
    Of course it may draw world attention to Elvis,but for all the wrong reasons. AS for new fans believe me,there are a lot of Elvis fans in both Israel and Iran (re videos)
    Last year I was honored to be asked to be an administrator for a group on Facebook called "Iran/Elvis" by a young lady called Jila. Not knowing what to expect I was amazed at the number of young Iranians who interact with this group and there love for Elvis. Unfortunately, because of censorship in this country and broadband problems they can not always view You Tube clips that are posted but always comment on the many pics of Elvis that are posted.
    I myself do not follow any religion. I'm a humanitarian and find the good in people without religion getting in the way.

Last edited by Cliff; 03-31-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    Elvis never studied Islam. Ever.
    When I say "studied" I mean that he looked into it and read about it and didn't judge it. He even owned a Koran which is the Muslim bible and the class stained windows in the Meditation Garden has depictions of Islamic settings.

i don't think Elvis had seen it as a very good idea and i don't either. it's going to far IMO.....
    "you don't know it until it hits you"

you're the tea in my coffee - i'm the coke in yer choc

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

I guess I don't understand the logic behind it, doesn't make sense to me. I don't know what EPE is thinking about mixing Elvis with religion. I don’t think Elvis would approve of this at all.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

When I say "studied" I mean that he looked into it and read about it and didn't judge it. He even owned a Koran which is the Muslim bible and the class stained windows in the Meditation Garden has depictions of Islamic settings.
    Thanks for this info. He also met with the Shah of Iran and was given a ring by him. Mind you, this would have been before the Ayatolah and Islam took over. Have searched the net high and low and can not find a pic of the Shah and Elvis together.

PAHLAVI RING
    Last edited by Cliff; 03-31-2012 at 01:22 PM.

International Level Nicole Presley's Avatar

I´m sure Elvis doesn´t like it.

I'm on the fence on this one too. There's nothing that will get tempers flared like the subjects of Religion and Politics. Maybe they need to take a step back and re-evaluate the whole idea. Pehaps take the religious aspect out of it and just make it about Elvis and uniting Elvis fans from all over.

He even owned a Koran.
    Elvis never owned a Koran. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    Elvis never owned a Koran. Ever.
    Maybe you should ask EPE about that. Or, ask Mohammed Ali who presented it to him as a gift. Back in 2001, EPE was about to put it out on display at the time of 911, but because of world wide criticism and outcry towards Muslims, EPE decided wisely not to put it out publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by Awickedreigndrop View Post
    I'm on the fence on this one too. There's nothing that will get tempers flared like the subjects of Religion and Politics. Maybe they need to take a step back and re-evaluate the whole idea. Pehaps take the religious aspect out of it and just make it about Elvis and uniting Elvis fans from all over.
    Very good point. I think EPE's greed and money hungry ways will be their downfall.

Very good point. I think EPE's greed and money hungry ways will be their downfall.
    Its so funny to me-ironic in the truest sense.
    Elvis leaves no real rules in his will except to protect his estate and to make sure it grows-no guidance really on how to protect the estate, no specific mentions of a list of dos and don't. He wanted everything to be kept protected for Lisa-thats the bottom line. Probate courts are legally bound to follow the wishes of the deceased-and they must follow it to the letter. Elvis could have left very specific detailed instuctions as to what could be done, and what was totally out of bounds-...He.....Did........Not!!
    He did not own his music, he did not own his films-we all know this-he barely owned his own image if you read the probate judges thoughts on the deals with Col Parker. (that the judge found to be so ridiculous that he ordered the estate to sue Parker to break all contracts)
    Elvis did not plan out his financial situation well, probably never thinking he would not be able to make a million in a couple weeks time anytime he wanted till he died. (and he never thought he would die so young)
    So the estate has been protected to the fullest-in ways that were pioneered during Elvis's lifetime by Parker and Elvis ........if you have any of the 100s of "50s "trinkets" in your memorabilia or "1960s trinkets" or "70s trinkets"..........
    The "will has been executed to the letter of Elvis's wishes as defined by the probate court" under the rules Elvis left-which were more or less anything goes.
    I understand most don't like some, or all of the way, Elvis's wishes have been fullfilled-but he left that open, for a reason that most lawyers will stress-you do not tie the hands of those who are trying to fullfill your wishes after you are gone-they will possibly meet obstacles or problems that can not be foreseen years or decades in advance and if you put to many conditions-you can defeat your primary goal which is usually to protect and grow an estate.
    I will not continually jump on EPE because sometimes they do things I may not think right..... they have accomplished the goal Elvis set-Lisa and family are set for at least a couple generations financially.

I would bet my housecat that had they failed in the early 80s, some people would have said-"They did not do enough, they did not FILL IN THE BLANK"
    but because they have done what was called for with no preconditions set by Elvis in his will-they are the bad guys? Never ceases to amaze me-to quote Elvis himself.

As far as the Holy Land tour-it may be a little much, but then again when Elvis recorded his first gospel records some pastors called it "BLASPHEMY"
    When he did "Peace in the Valley" on Ed Sullivan many religious leaders and church members could not believe he had the gall to sing sacred music.
    If we are critical of making money with a religious component to it-then what of the money from the gospel music that Elvis made during his life, what about the sacred Christmas music that has surely put much money into his pocket during his lifetime?
    In our area a gospel singer promotes his appearances in area churches in newspaper ads and posters as "In the Gospel Style of Elvis Presley"
    He takes an offering for his appearances....................................... ..........................I think times have changed some.
    People who get a blessing from hearing Elvis sing gospel music and who enjoy fellowship with other Christians will probably also enjoy going to the Holy Land as a group and visiting places they have only read about in the Bible or seen film....they have a common bond, a common link in being Christian and loving to hear Elvis sing gospel songs.
    So on whole I do not see this as such a huge sudden departure-they sponser cruises for Elvis fans, many people enjoy them and make new friends.
    Elvis talked of wanting to do more as perhaps a preacher or singing evangalist....perhaps a pipe dream or thinking outloud........but bringing together people-even religious people can not be a bad thing IMO
    Last edited by KPM; 03-31-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    Work in Progress!

Not sure what correct decision is but can only suggest what E may have thought of it. He was certainly a spiritual searcher but definitely think he took public stance of neutrality when it came to any socio-political and religious issues. Think he was very aware of alienating fans by making any public declaration of his views. For this reason I believe he would not have undertaken such a tour if he was alive for fear of causing offense.

I've been wanting to participate in a Holy Land Tour for many, many years now, but with this - Elvis & the Holy Land? I don't know. It's not too hard to see the connection. We all know that Elvis was a devout Christian, and very intent on learning all he could about Christianity from all points of view, but how would they tie the two together without coming off as exploitatious? (is that a word?)

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

[QUOTE=Cliff;406214]Man,this is a hot one. As this is not a political forum I will not give my full personal views on this except to say I feel EPE should stay away from this one. Elvis was very apolitical and did not air his political views in public, for this reason I believe he would treat this the same way.
    Not sure what what EPE hopes to achieve by this. Are they working hand in hand with the US government or just chasing the almighty dollar?
    Of course it may draw world attention to Elvis,but for all the wrong reasons. AS for new fans believe me,there are a lot of Elvis fans in both Israel and Iran (re videos)
    Last year I was honored to be asked to be an administrator for a group on Facebook called "Iran/Elvis" by a young lady called Jila. Not knowing what to expect I was amazed at the number of young Iranians who interact with this group and there love for Elvis. Unfortunately, because of censorship in this country and broadband problems they can not always view You Tube clips that are posted but always comment on the many pics of Elvis that are posted.
    I myself do not follow any religion. I'm a humanitarian and find the good in people without religion getting in the way.

You are 100% right . Elvis would never involve himself with political / religious matters . He was a seeker and studied about many religions and respected them all . And it is posiible ( strongly ) that he studied about Islam among many other religions too.
    I personally thank you for what you've done for Iran/Elvis. The number of his fans are growing in Iran because of imroving international communicative technology.

He was the firstest with the mostest.

I have read somewhere that Elvis owned a Quran and put it in his meditation garden ofcourse owning a Quran or reading it doesn't mean necessarily to be a muslim but it shows his interest and respect about seeking other religions and his spiritual side.

He was the firstest with the mostest.

Update to the ring given to Elvis by the Shah.

" This ring ( which symbolizes a high rank of Iranian Navy) was given to Elvis and he wore it for a few years but after hearing about Shah's political attitutes he put it away and his grandmother sold it ($320000 ) after his death"

I feel this shows that Elvis did indeed take an interest in other countries and politics.

Or, ask Mohammed Ali who presented it to him as a gift.
    Where is your proof that Ali ever gave Elvis a Koran?

Back in 2001, EPE was about to put it out on display at the time of 911, but because of world wide criticism and outcry towards Muslims, EPE decided wisely not to put it out publicly.
    Again, where is your proof for any of this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast