Thread: We Remember the King - Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Roy Orbison

We Remember the King - Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Roy Orbison

I'm sure most of you have heard this song but i was browsing YouTube and found this song it's beautiful and just thought I'd share it with you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqhFwZd1Q6k
    I did it my way.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: We Remember the King - Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Roy Orbiso

I'm surprised that Jerry Lee would even say the word King back then, he was still jealous of Elvis at that time.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Re: We Remember the King - Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Roy Orbiso

I don't hold it against jerry lee he had his own chemical courage going on at the time, at the time, it's a good album 'CLASS OF '55'
    Nice tribute to the king though.

I think over time Jerry Lee has mellowed on the subject of Elvis some-but perhaps not much
    Work in Progress!

Its a truly great album, with Roy taking Elvis's place, just imagine what a release it would have been with him there too ! talk about a SUPER GROUP ? Love the 8mins+ of Big Train from Memphis too ............

Thank you my dear friend! Beautiful song it is just important to me!!
    I always respected Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison ! The rest .... No matter ..For me
    I'll Remember You!!!

I think Jerry Lee regrets ever marrying his own 13 year old first cousin. That immediately killed his career overnight. There's no telling how big he would have gotten, especially with Elvis going into the Army at the same time, had he just left incest alone or kept it to himself. But I doubt he would have ever been as big or bigger than The King is today. I'm sure, just like Johnny was, he's still bitter and envy of Elvis' fame and following in death 35 years later. Most of today's current artists are.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    I think Jerry Lee regrets ever marrying his own 13 year old first cousin. That immediately killed his career overnight. There's no telling how big he would have gotten, especially with Elvis going into the Army at the same time, had he just left incest alone or kept it to himself. But I doubt he would have ever been as big or bigger than The King is today. I'm sure, just like Johnny was, he's still bitter and envy of Elvis' fame and following in death 35 years later. Most of today's current artists are.
    You see I never got that take about Johnny being bitter toward Elvis.
    I read his autobiographies and seen many interviews and I never got that from listening or reading his words.
    He always seemed to admire his talent-he even praised Elvis for his rhythm guitar work on the Sun records, saying that Elvis had perfect rhythm on those sessions that was on the money.
    He once said Elvis told him he wanted to see how many girls he could make on the road-Johnny winked and said "He did pretty good"
    Work in Progress!

I do think Cash always respected Elvis, every interview I heard or read he talked about how he knew there was something special about Elvis.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I do think Cash always respected Elvis, every interview I heard or read he talked about how he knew there was something special about Elvis.
    Yes, that's true. He even appreciated Elvis' "Danny Boy" from 1976 so much, that he wanted to record it himself. I guess it was the kind of setting and arrangement that really impressed Johnny.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Now Carl Perkins was a real Elvis fan-he talked of how Elvis was the perfect package, talent, voice, looks, moves.
    Roy Orbison also had a real respect for Elvis-if you have ever seen the video "A Black and White Night"-that was done a short time before Roy died you see he had not only stars like Bruce Springstein, Bonnie Raitt, K.D. Lang etc but he basically had Elvis's band driving the music-Tutt, Burton, Jerry on bass, Glen D. on piano.
    Work in Progress!

Yes there are plenty of interviews with Carl talking about how Elvis had it all and how Elvis made Blue Suede Shoes even bigger for him. I know Roy Orbison thought the world of Elvis and even wrote a song for Elvis, that Roy ends up recording.

RIP Tommy