Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madonna Set To Break UK Elvis Record

TCB Mafia

Madonna Set To Break UK Elvis Record

In the midweek charts, Madonna's latest record is on course to top the album charts next Sunday making it her 12th No.1 album. Elvis and Madonna currently have 11 each - so Madonna will become the solo artist with the most No.1 albums in the UK. The Beatles have 15. Sad but inevitable - our man cannot compete.

Brian

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: Madonna Set To Break UK Elvis Record

That stinks. But you never know Elvis might have another #1 too.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

International Level Nicole Presley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Quinn View Post
    In the midweek charts, Madonna's latest record is on course to top the album charts next Sunday making it her 12th No.1 album. Elvis and Madonna currently have 11 each - so Madonna will become the solo artist with the most No.1 albums in the UK. The Beatles have 15. Sad but inevitable - our man cannot compete.

Brian
    Elvis would have had more number one hits if he would have lived longer. She´s already older than he was. She had more time.

Its just something we have to understand-Elvis alive could compete with anyone in the music business, but being deceased and unable to record new things is something that can not be overcome. Who knows how many more albums and singles he would have recorded in the last 35 years and how many may have hit #1. Madonna is still actively recording and actively touring promoting her records. Hard to somehow compete when you are dead 35 years (but still own numerous records of achievement)
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Its just something we have to understand-Elvis alive could compete with anyone in the music business, but being deceased and unable to record new things is something that can not be overcome. Who knows how many more albums and singles he would have recorded in the last 35 years and how many may have hit #1. Madonna is still actively recording and actively touring promoting her records. Hard to somehow compete when you are dead 35 years (but still own numerous records of achievement)
    That's The Way It Is

That's right! plus:

1. We can't be sure somewhere this decade Elvis might have another one, as it happened with Elvis 30 #1

2. On the other hand, and music wise, those records mean nothing. EPE and RCA have given too much weight to Elvis historic selling records, cause Elvis is a product to sell, and that is their proof of success, but really? guess Bob Dylan or Charles Mingus has no value at all under that logic.

Elvis musical and historic value, as well as his iconic status is never just about that. EPE and SONY are only after the money, but when you go somewhere else, journalists like Guralnick, or everytime a great artist talks big about Elvis musical talents, its never about how much money did he made for a record label... like the great essay on the 1975 book: Mystery Train by Greil Marcus, well he doesn´t even needs to go there to make a case about Elvis being the most importan force on popular music.

And well, we don't love him cause he's a big money maker for UK music industry right? So... let's no fixate to much as fans about those rat races, where supossedly not here because of the golden goose right? And even if Elvis is still the guy with more #1 in other areas: Does that really give him more new fans? and if it does, those might be kind of frivolous ones.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 03-28-2012 at 03:22 PM.

I agree Elvis can't compete with today's artist but in his day he was the guy to chase and for 35 years he still is the guy to beat. He has a lot more records that he holds that today's artist are still trying to catch. So even when she breaks his record there are still a lot more out there she has to catch.

I still haven’t given up on that he might still have a number one out there someday, hey maybe even two.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    That's right! plus:

1. We can't be sure somewhere this decade Elvis might have another one, as it happened with Elvis 30 #1

2. On the other hand, and music wise, those records mean nothing. EPE and RCA have given too much weight to Elvis historic selling records, cause Elvis is a product to sell, and that is their proof of success, but really? guess Bob Dylan or Charles Mingus has no value at all under that logic.

Elvis musical and historic value, as well as his iconic status is never just about that. EPE and SONY are only after the money, but when you go somewhere else, journalists like Guralnick, or everytime a great artist talks big about Elvis musical talents, its never about how much money did he made for a record label... like the great essay on the 1975 book: Mystery Train by Greil Marcus, well he doesn´t even needs to go there to make a case about Elvis being the most importan force on popular music.

And well, we don't love him cause he's a big money maker for UK music industry right? So... let's no fixate to much as fans about those rat races, where supossedly not here because of the golden goose right? And even if Elvis is still the guy with more #1 in other areas: Does that really give him more new fans? and if it does, those might be kind of frivolous ones.
    I know what you are saying my friend but unfortunately in this world for centuries, the amount of money made by anyone in any field is normally the gauge used to identify success or failure.
    Marcus, Guralnick, and many of the earlier editors of Rolling Stone magazine see the greatness and historic cultural significance of Elvis and his pioneering rock music......EPE nor Sony did anything to give them that insight-they came upon that by themselves.
    Todays "ruling class of editors and music writers" are just ignoring what Marcus and Guralnick saw so readily in their day and time.....
    I am afraid that respect and acknowledgement of true greatness is something that can not be marketed-it has to be felt inside a person and the current rock writers just seem to not get the connection between what was before Elvis and the bridge he became to all that has come since.
    Even the good marketing ideas that Sony has had which have stressed the artistry and talent of Elvis have been largely ignored by the mainstream rock media.....I have said this for years there has been a rewriting of rock history by the last couple generations of rock media, and they seem to think the era of the Beatles and the 60s was the beginning of what they have decided is rock and roll and that unless you wrote your songs you were somehow not an artist.
    How do you combat ignorance of greatness, blindness of talent-because it does not fit someones preceived notions and wrong assumptions?
    If great box sets like 50s, 60s, and 70s are released and sent to the critics and they really do not listen to them but glance at the covers and then they write about them with no real insight into the greatness and talent inside them-its pretty hard to change minds.........and I really believe this happens quite a bit.
    These people feel they know Elvis so well, yet they are skimming the surface-they automatically tell themselves....
    "he did not write, he did not progress beyond his movie image, and his Vegas period"
    Todays rock critics-the MTV generations-from a totally different viewpoint as Guralnick and Marcas, that viewpoint has a lack of understanding of the Big Bang Elvis was-and wants to say that Big Bang actually started in 1963 and the Beatles.
    I am saddened as I write this, but I think its unfairly true.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Elvis' last No.1 album in the UK was 'The King' (Greatest Hits Compilation) in 2007. It went straight into the charts at No.1 selling some 45,034 copies in its first week. It dropped to No.2 in its second week with 27,005 copies; dropped to No.4 in its third week selling 18,069 copies and dropped to No.10 selling just under 14,000 copies in its fourth week. As of the end of October, 2007 it had sold 111,600 copies giving Elvis a UK Gold album. Surprisingly, 'The King' also gave Elvis his first No.1 album in Germany and peaked at No.2 best selling album in Europe and No.7 best selling album on the Combined World Chart.

It should also be remembered that Elvis has more No.1 singles (21) in the UK than either Madonna or The Beatles and more No.2's; he also has more weeks on the charts than any other artist or group. Up until the advent of Glee, Elvis also had more UK hit singles in the 21st Century than any other chart act with 25. He remains at No.2.

One can never discount Elvis - it depends on the product, the amount of marketing spend and airplay. Sony (UK) maintain that he is a constant in their Top 10 back catalogue artists. He could easily get another No.1 in the near future.

Brian

Elvis' last No.1 album in the UK was 'The King' (Greatest Hits Compilation) in 2007. It went straight into the charts at No.1 selling some 45,034 copies in its first week. It dropped to No.2 in its second week with 27,005 copies; dropped to No.4 in its third week selling 18,069 copies and dropped to No.10 selling just under 14,000 copies in its fourth week. As of the end of October, 2007 it had sold 111,600 copies giving Elvis a UK Gold album. Surprisingly, 'The King' also gave Elvis his first No.1 album in Germany and peaked at No.2 best selling album in Europe and No.7 best selling album on the Combined World Chart.

It should also be remembered that Elvis has more No.1 singles (21) in the UK than either Madonna or The Beatles and more No.2's; he also has more weeks on the charts than any other artist or group. Up until the advent of Glee, Elvis also had more UK hit singles in the 21st Century than any other chart act with 25. He remains at No.2.

One can never discount Elvis - it depends on the product, the amount of marketing spend and airplay. Sony (UK) maintain that he is a constant in their Top 10 back catalogue artists. He could easily get another No.1 in the near future.Brian
    I agree that another number one album, and definitely a single in GB could easily happen (especially the single)
    As far as GLEE.
    You and I both know that comparing "the entire cast of Glee" to Elvis is comparing a flock of humming birds to one magnificant American Eagle.
    I would hope that people with discerning thinking ability will see that Elvis's achievements are his and his alone-and Glees achievements are among
    15-20 talented young people.........not including the writers of the show, directors of the show, musical conductors, choreographers, arrangers and composers, and lastly the fact that it all is seen and promoted weekly on TV.
    Even the modern rock critics whom I spoke of in an earlier post should be able to see the difference between the entire production of Glee and Elvis Presley. (if not then perhaps the state of todays rock music critics is worse than I imagined)
    Work in Progress!

One can never discount Elvis - it depends on the product, the amount of marketing spend and airplay. Sony (UK) maintain that he is a constant in their Top 10 back catalogue artists. He could easily get another No.1 in the near future.

Brian
    Brian thanks for the info. It stinks to have to mention Glee in the same sentence of Elvis or any other actual entertainer. I think all of that is a joke with Glee.

RIP Tommy

How do you combat ignorance of greatness, blindness of talent-because it does not fit someones preceived notions and wrong assumptions?
    If great box sets like 50s, 60s, and 70s are released and sent to the critics and they really do not listen to them but glance at the covers and then they write about them with no real insight into the greatness and talent inside them-its pretty hard to change minds.........and I really believe this happens quite a bit.
    These people feel they know Elvis so well, yet they are skimming the surface-they automatically tell themselves....
    "he did not write, he did not progress beyond his movie image, and his Vegas period"
    Todays rock critics-the MTV generations-from a totally different viewpoint as Guralnick and Marcas, that viewpoint has a lack of understanding of the Big Bang Elvis was-and wants to say that Big Bang actually started in 1963 and the Beatles.
    I am saddened as I write this, but I think its unfairly true.
    Yes I know and I agree with you, EPE and Sony won't care about that at all as to them changing priorities is not in the ageenda, no way. And generally speaking, the whole rock and pop music scene is about the same thing as EPE and Sony.
    What can I say? its like Frank Zappa said -Rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, in order to provide articles for people who can't read-. Its just about target marketing.

Something weird, about the generation that wants to think that rock started in '63 with the Brits, many fans in Elvis camp actually rather ignore the 50's, and only care about the post army or post '68 comeback, I mean nothing wrong if they like those periods more, but when they simply dismiss 50's Elvis and everything he meant then, or not even aware of it, well its kind of funny right?

Young Man with The Big Beat was a great move in as you said: combat ignorance of greatness, and avoid the rewriting of rock history. Not a product aimed to reach #1 right? but it selled well, got nominated for a grammy, and more than anything, it got reviews that for the first time in years went beyond the superficial talk on Elvis cliches you mention, now that is long term vision, you got a #1 in a month, you change peoples minds in decades. Of course that wasn't EPE or Sony but Ernst baby. He promised long time ago a SUN box set, I hope that will go mainstream and not FTD. I rather see more proyects like that in the future than another greatest hits, remixes or duets proyects just aimed to get the No#1 spot.

Just a point i would like to make, whenever some recording star sells a lot they always measure them to elvis,
    Like the late great Roy orbison said 'HE WAS THE FIRSTEST WITH THE MOSTEST'
    Mr johnny cash said 'NO ONE HAS ANY IDEA HOW GREAT HE REALLY WAS'

We Always Know How Great He Still Is.

If ELVIS had lived longer, this would not be happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

LONG LIVE ELVIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

No matter how many records are broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO ONE CAN TAKE HIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Tommy; 03-30-2012 at 06:10 PM.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    If ELVIS had lived longer, this would not be happening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

LONG LIVE ELVIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

No matter how many records are broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO ONE CAN TAKE HIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Amen to that my friend!
    Last edited by Tommy; 03-30-2012 at 06:10 PM.

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    Amen to that my friend!
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still wonder why so many people buy her records in the first place,...? she cant sing, well she can But she is just average without the glam and dancers and all those lighting on stage , she is average singer. I remember Sir Elton John said something about it when Madonna won an Awards, he said something about her sang lypsinc in her Live concerts. Ye, truth hurts, ... and now she is is set to break UK Elvis records ?

At least my ears is fine and well enough to recognize what a great quality of music is, ... Elvis does this time to time again to me personally, although the man is gone, to me those records breaking is just a number... Quality is more important than Quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by buttonhead View Post
    I still wonder why so many people buy her records in the first place,...? she cant sing, well she can But she is just average without the glam and dancers and all those lighting on stage , she is average singer. I remember Sir Elton John said something about it when Madonna won an Awards, he said something about her sang lypsinc in her Live concerts. Ye, truth hurts, ... and now she is is set to break UK Elvis records ?

At least my ears is fine and well enough to recognize what a great quality of music is, ... Elvis does this time to time again to me personally, although the man is gone, to me those records breaking is just a number... Quality is more important than Quantity.
    I second this!

Backstage Pass

Records are made to be broken, and this was bound to happen sooner or later. To me what made some of Elvis's achivements more special was he was the first to create that record, and Madonna or anyone else can't take that away from him. Like for example: the first artist to have a single debut at #1 in the UK. He had the first single to be #1 on the 3 main charts. The first single to achieve 1 million advance orders..... and so on.

TCB Mafia

In the UK Midweek Album Charts, Madonna's new album is already down to No.5 in its second week and dropping rapidly.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast