Thread: question regarding 1969 concert

Backstage Pass

question regarding 1969 concert

Hello:

DOes anyone know why Vegas was chosen for Elvis to make his first concert in 8 years? It seems like a strange choice for a rock performer, especially in 1969, to make his comeback performance.

Re: question regarding 1969 concert

I don't know the answer but i think some of the reasons would be. Elvis loved Vegas, the strip was changing new hotels were goin up, Elvis was offered to be the performer who opened the International Hotel but decided it was better if Barbra Striesand did that. The money would have been very good at the time and he had some satbility of being at the one venue and not having to go straight back on the road.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Col. Parker had business connections in Vegas also it was just on the crest of a nostalgia wave where a number of so called "lounge acts" had starting to perform again.

The International was the beginning of a new Vegas atmosphere-it was at the time the most modern and biggest showroom in town.
    Vegas had been haven to traditional entertainers such as Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Red Skelton, Danny Thomas, etc...and when the International was slated to open they wanted a new direction in entertainment which was Elvis.
    Elvis and the Colonel turned down opening the hotel with the idea that during the month that Streisand opened the showroom all the bugs in the sound system, lighting system, timing for meals would be worked out and it would make an easier opening for Elvis.
    Elvis was the first major real rock artist to appear in a Vegas main showroom which drew in a whole different crowd of people-the showroom actually turned a profit from ticket sales which up to Elvis was unheard of in Vegas. Profits in Vegas had always come from the gaming tables and the meals and entertainment were just to keep people comfortable and ready to gamble and were not expected to make money.
    Its funny Elton John said in the 70s he would hate to end up in Vegas like Elvis-singing for his supper, and yet because Elvis opened the door for rock artists in Vegas-"Elton John and many other rock artists have made a pretty penny since then singing for their supper"Somewhere along the way Mr John should apologize for that statement he made in the 70s.
    Last edited by KPM; 03-27-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Its funny Elton John said in the 70s he would hate to end up in Vegas like Elvis-singing for his supper, and yet because Elvis opened the door for rock artists in Vegas-"Elton John and many other rock artists have made a pretty since then penny singing for their supper"Somewhere along the way Mr John should apologize for that statement he made in the 70s.
    Oh so true!

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

I bet now Elton would like to have a 1/4 of Elvis' career in Vegas. No artist has ever brought the town to their knees like Elvis.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I bet now Elton would like to have a 1/4 of Elvis' career in Vegas. No artist has ever brought the town to their knees like Elvis.
    Right on my friend.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...