Thread: Fans In Or From Memphis

TCB Mafia

Fans In Or From Memphis

On March 29 at 7 p.m., Rhodes College’s Mike Curb Institute for Music will present “Sun, Sam Phillips, and the Spirit of Memphis Music: A Conversation with Peter Guralnick, Knox Phillips, and Mike Curb” in the McCallum Ballroom of the Bryan Campus Life Center on campus. The event is free, but seating is limited and reservations should be made online at http://alumni.rhodes.edu/curbconversation

Speakers will discuss the history of Rock 'n Roll, Sun Records and Sam Phillips, and the music industry at large.

A music critic, writer and historian, Peter Guralnick is author of the two-volume biography of Elvis Presley titled Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love. He also wrote the documentary “Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock 'n' Roll” about the Sun Records founder.

The oldest son of Sam Phillips, Knox Phillips is a Memphis music producer and promoter as well as a Rhodes alumnus. In 2007, he was presented a Lifetime Achievement Award by the local chapter of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Science that oversees the Grammy awards.

Chairman of Nashville-based Curb Records, Mike Curb has more than 45 years in the industry as a songwriter and producer and is one of the most prominent figures in the entertainment world today. He also has made generous investments in higher education.

The Mike Curb Institute for Music at Rhodes was founded in 2006 through a generous gift from the Mike Curb Family Foundation to foster awareness and understanding of the distinct musical traditions of the South and to study the effect music has had on its culture, history, and economy.

Those with specific inquiries about the March 29 event can contact Dr. John Bass, program manager of the Mike Curb Institute for Music, at (901) 843-3786 or [email protected].

Brian

Re: Fans In Or From Memphis

Things like this are exactly the reason I am moving to Tennessee when I graduate from nursing school next year.

Re: Fans In Or From Memphis

what I wouldn't give for my own private jet - and the means to just fly to these types of events at will..

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go