Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Jones Spins Another Tale

TCB Mafia

Tom Jones Spins Another Tale

March 24th 2012
    TOM JONES SPINS ANOTHER TALE - The Welsh warbler has done it again...As a judge on the new UK music talent show, ‘The Voice’, it wasn’t long before old Jonesy boy was revealing another new story about Elvis.

This time Tom told of how one day in the 1960s Elvis invited him to Graceland and so he arrives in Memphis and heads on over to Graceland. When he arrived he was met by Priscilla but no Elvis and so he asked her where he was? He claims that Elvis had suddenly remembered that he had no guitars in the house (yep, not a single guitar at Graceland).

Anyway, the tale never stopped there and Jones went on to say...”and so, Elvis drove to a music store and told the girl behind the counter that Tom Jones was coming over and I have no guitars at home. And so he bought a couple.

Article courtesy of www.elvis-express.com/

Brian

Re: Tom Jones Spins Another Tale

I have heard this before, but I think the story I heard was that it was when Elvis and Priscilla were in Hawaii in 1968. There are photos to document the visit and since it was just a vacation rental I suppose it was possible that Elvis would have no instruments there, but to visit Graceland and have no guitars is ludicrous. Me thinks that perhaps the boy toy from Wales is getting a touch of the dementia. About as true as the time he said Elvis' range was quote, "almost as good as mine"

By the way while we are Tom Jones bashing as a woman I do not find this guy attractive at all. They say in Hawaii Elvis kept his shirt on next to Tom on the beach because he was self conscious of his skinny chest. Rest assured Elvis you were hotter!

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Tom Jones is just another person who jumps on the "Elvis and I were best buds" train. One of the many "stories" that drives me crazy is when Tom Jones said Elvis sang to him in the shower, I say give us a break Tom. The only thing I do like about Tom is he always talks about Elvis in a positive light. I do like some of his songs too.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Elvis sang to him in the shower ....?? Mmmmm thats crazy yes I like some TJ songs too, went to many of his shows in the past, he still got it, I just wish he didnt have to keep bringing Elvis subject in order to be in 'limelight ' , especially if he began to forget some of the real story behind it... I meant its good to remember the good times he spent with the King, but ...having Elvis singing to him in the shower, thats quite a strange encounter .

Couldn't agree with you more. when you see photos of the two together it is like beauty and the beast. It's incredible to think poor E was self conscious, can;t understand why.his chest so much sexier than Sir Tom's with just the right amount of chest hair and that gorgeous tan. Tom's repeated name dropping is becoming irritating!
    Quote Originally Posted by josephinebeau View Post
    I have heard this before, but I think the story I heard was that it was when Elvis and Priscilla were in Hawaii in 1968. There are photos to document the visit and since it was just a vacation rental I suppose it was possible that Elvis would have no instruments there, but to visit Graceland and have no guitars is ludicrous. Me thinks that perhaps the boy toy from Wales is getting a touch of the dementia. About as true as the time he said Elvis' range was quote, "almost as good as mine"

By the way while we are Tom Jones bashing as a woman I do not find this guy attractive at all. They say in Hawaii Elvis kept his shirt on next to Tom on the beach because he was self conscious of his skinny chest. Rest assured Elvis you were hotter!

Am i the only one who doesnt get bothered by TJ his stories at all??
    he was elvis his friend and i always find his story very facinating,it shows us periods of elvis life where tom jones happened to be with.

Not really, I'm of the same mind. I take anything someone says about Elvis with a grain of salt and who knows how much the media twisted what Tom had to say anyway?

Media didn't twist it. Not sure if you saw him on The Voice last night but it was a pathetic attempt to lure a contestant into his camp by dropping E's name. I know they had a mutual respect for each other and spent some time together especially in Vegas where it would have been more difficult not to bump into each other but to sound off like they were blood brothers is bending the truth to say the least.

Sure I can believe that, Tom has a fantastic ego...Elvis didn't, but Tom may have been a bit jealous of Elvis' popularity and wanted to boost himself up a bit. Not very nice, but understandable...people are like that.

I thought Tom Jones only visited Graceland after Elvis passed over.

Tom being now 72 may have just misremembered the place this story happened-as has been mentioned I recall this supposedly happened in Hawaii not at Graceland
    Work in Progress!

Tom Jones And Engelbert Humperdink are very quick to tell story and like to say that they were a little bit better than the King lollllllllll they need Elvis to get attention
    Me and Elvis
    it's a montage

You know what irritate me the most ? was when i went to see Engelbert and he said something that Elvis got the idea of sideburn from him... I dont know if it was joking or what,... but Elvis had his own story about his sideburn and nothing to do with Engelbert... what annoys me the most that he said it so many times, so that people know that there was a ' connection' between him and the King... * duh * in one way i feel proud that this living legend still needs the Elvis connection story to stay famous , but really I think ... he needs to move on ....

Quote Originally Posted by readyseve View Post
    Media didn't twist it. Not sure if you saw him on The Voice last night but it was a pathetic attempt to lure a contestant into his camp by dropping E's name.
    Yes they did twist it, because Tom correctly cited Hawaii as the location, not Graceland. It's not a new story and it's one that is corroborated by others.

And it wasn't at all pathetic. It was a light-hearted moment in the show and the audience understood and laughed. Will i Am then similarly did a Michael Jackson name drop for the same purpose and, again, it was intended to be fun. Elvis also came off in a good light. The implication from Tom was that he had experience singing with the best (Elvis), so he would be a good mentor.

Note that Lee Dawson has amended his article on Elvis Express to reflect what Tom actually said.

Well there you have it.... It is good in a way that they drop Elvis' name as it shows they are aware of his greatness and want some of it to shine on them too.

Is this part of the show on youtube yet?

RIP Tommy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmSim1CncLI

This clip has part of it, and this is edited, but Jones mentions Hawaii, and the guitars

Thanks Rene. Boy he is a big name dropper for sure, I will admit he has a nice resume though.

RIP Tommy

i saw the show,when the judges were dropping names,tom said listen,i was in hawwaii with elvis presley.the other judges thought...shit,ye cant beat that,and laughed.then william said some muck about mj. but as was said before,keep mentioning the kings name and its all good
    LETS BE FRIENDS!

Agree that it keeps E's name in public consciousness which is great but am weary of Tom suggesting that he and E were best buds. This isn't the first time he has done it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast