Thread: 'Aloha From Hawaii' - 40th Anniversary Special Planned

TCB Mafia

'Aloha From Hawaii' - 40th Anniversary Special Planned

Please go to the following URL:

http://www.elvismatters.be/index.php...nieuws&id=6480

Information courtesy of www.elvismatters.com

Brian

Re: 'Aloha From Hawaii' - 40th Anniversary Special Planned

A 40th Aloha party held by a Belgium fanclub is all very well, but Aloha's anniversary deserves a LOT more than this!

After clicking the above link and translating the text into English, the following caught me eye:

Incidentally, EPE also planning a special on "40 years of Aloha", more news about that later.

I wonder exactly what sort of "special" EPE is planning?

TV Land network in America had a statue put in Hawaii to commemorate the Aloha Special a few years back they ran the Aloha Special a couple of times and had special links at their website for Elvis related information.
    Since the Aloha Boxset that EPE has already released is suppose to contain all footage for the Aloha special-not sure what they can do which would contain new filmed sections of the event-unless they perhaps totally remix the camera angles in some way or form.
    To quote the hoopla a few years back explaining how Aloha was originally taped:
    ......... There were no video tape machines dedicated to a certain camera, selections were made live during the rehearsal and Aloha broadcast...........
    Last edited by KPM; 03-21-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    Work in Progress!

......... There were no video tape machines dedicated to a certain camera, selections were made live during the rehearsal and Aloha broadcast...........
    I wonder how many more times do I have to repeat myself

The entire Aloha event was recorded by SEVEN video recording machines, with five of these each slaved to a different camera. So we have at least 5 hours of unseen Aloha footage from different angles from these cameras alone.
    Plus as I have already said, at least another 2-3 hours of the audience entering, the events outside the HIC and footage from the crane cam on the beach.

Each camera used in Aloha, was hooked up to it's own video recorder- so just imagine all of those unseen angles waiting to see the light of day.

Again, I shall quote Steve Orland, Videotape Editor- Aloha From Hawaii

"We rented a forty foot produce truck in Honolulu and created a videotape recording, playback and editing facility inside, complete with four quadruplex (2" tape) machines.....................three smaller tape machines were located in another truck.....................The other machines, and these as well once the opening playback was finished, were used to record the entire event: two machines recording the same "full program" feed that was sent to the satellite and the remaining machines each "slaved" to a different camera inside the Center.

So just to simplify if anyone is still confused:

CAMERAS 1 & 2--------recording the Aloha feed as it went out live with all of the edits etc (in other words the TV version as it appeared onscreen)

CAMERA 3-------------hooked up to it's own video recorder. All footage from this particular camera recorded in it's entirety

CAMERA 4-------------hooked up to it's own video recorder. All footage from this particular camera recorded in it's entirety

CAMERA 5-------------hooked up to it's own video recorder. All footage from this particular camera recorded in it's entirety

CAMERA 6-------------hooked up to it's own video recorder. All footage from this particular camera recorded in it's entirety

CAMERA 7-------------hooked up to it's own video recorder. All footage from this particular camera recorded in it's entirety
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 03-25-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Fixed .html coding

Quote Originally Posted by JRtherealJR View Post
    ......... [B]There were no video tape machines dedicated to a certain camera, selections were made live during the rehearsal and Aloha broadcast...........

The entire Aloha event was recorded by SEVEN video recording machines, with five of these each slaved to a different camera. So we have at least 5 hours of unseen Aloha footage from different angles from these cameras alone.
    Plus as I have already said, at least another 2-3 hours of the audience entering, the events outside the HIC and footage from the crane cam on the beach.

Each camera used in Aloha, was hooked up to it's own video recorder- so just imagine all of those unseen angles waiting to see the light of day.

"We rented a forty foot produce truck in Honolulu and created a videotape recording, playback and editing facility inside, complete with four quadruplex (2" tape) machines.....................three smaller tape machines were located in another truck.....................The other machines, and these as well once the opening playback was finished, were used to record the entire event: two machines recording the same "full program" feed that was sent to the satellite and the remaining machines each "slaved" to a different camera inside the Center.

CAMERAS 1 & 2--------recording the Aloha feed as it went out live with all of the edits etc (in other words the TV version as it appeared onscreen)

CAMERA 3-------------hooked up to it's own video recorder. All footage from this particular camera recorded in it's entirety

CAMERA 4-------------hooked up to it's own video recorder. All footage from this particular camera recorded in it's entirety

CAMERA 5-------------hooked up to it's own video recorder. All footage from this particular camera recorded in it's entirety

CAMERA 6-------------hooked up to it's own video recorder. All footage from this particular camera recorded in it's entirety

CAMERA 7-------------hooked up to it's own video recorder. All footage from this particular camera recorded in it's entirety
    There were definitely multiple cameras, and as many as 7 as you listed. I'm sure EPE has all of the different angles as they used some for the special edition version.

Do you know if the opening acts were filmed or even performed for that special event? Also, why no footage of the band or the audience during the Space Odyssey or after Elvis leaving the stage? I have always found this to be an unsolved mystery.
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 03-25-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Fixed .html coding
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia

A 40th Aloha party held by a Belgium fanclub is all very well, but Aloha's anniversary deserves a LOT more than this!

After clicking the above link and translating the text into English, the following caught me eye:

Incidentally, EPE also planning a special on "40 years of Aloha", more news about that later.

I wonder exactly what sort of "special" EPE is planning?
    The EPE Special is one and the same as the Belgian one. They are both working together on it. Scott Williams from EPE was in Belgium recently working things out.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Quinn View Post
    The EPE Special is one and the same as the Belgian one. They are both working together on it. Scott Williams from EPE was in Belgium recently working things out.

Brian
    Thanks Brian!

TCB Mafia

Elvis Presley’s "Aloha from Hawaii" 40th Anniversary Celebration in Honolulu, Hawaii
    January 10 –15, 2013
    Experience six days and five nights of Elvis-themed musical entertainment, movie screenings, panel discussions and tours of places Elvis loved to visit when he was in Hawaii with this vacation package. This luxurious Elvis celebration culminates with an amazing multi-media experience as Elvis Presley presents his “Aloha from Hawaii” concert, exactly 40 years after it became the most watched television concert in history.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Quinn View Post
    Elvis Presley’s "Aloha from Hawaii" 40th Anniversary Celebration in Honolulu, Hawaii
    January 10 –15, 2013
    Experience six days and five nights of Elvis-themed musical entertainment, movie screenings, panel discussions and tours of places Elvis loved to visit when he was in Hawaii with this vacation package. This luxurious Elvis celebration culminates with an amazing multi-media experience as Elvis Presley presents his “Aloha from Hawaii” concert, exactly 40 years after it became the most watched television concert in history.

Brian
    Here's a wild idea. How about EPE put it back on tv in the US on say, NBC for Thanksgiving night when everyone is with their families and looking for something to watch together? That would be huge in gaining new fans instantly. This should be a no brainer.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

or what about bringing it back on tv on sattelite, where the whole world can see it!

......... [B]There were no video tape machines dedicated to a certain camera, selections were made live during the rehearsal and Aloha broadcast...........

Well my friend my information comes from the liner notes of the Deluxe boxset-which I'm sure you must have. Where do the quotes from Mr. Orland come from?From the boxset notes:
    The concert was shot with several cameras. However there was not a tape deck dedicated to each camera. Camera choices were made during the concert and fed to only three video tape machines. One machine recorded the directors choices for the live satellite transmission and incorporated the :montage effect-mulitipel images from the concert seen on screen all at once in video blocks................two other machines captured whatever camera choices were made for those machines................................... For this deluxe editon DVD set the January 14th concert has been re-edited from scratch with remastered sound and picture. The producers of this set worked with the three existing choices of tape to assemble, in their opinion, the best possible presentation of the material including the eliminations of virturally all montage screen look of the original presentation...................
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 03-25-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Fixed .html coding
    Work in Progress!

Well my friend my information comes from the liner notes of the Deluxe boxset-which I'm sure you must have. Where do the quotes from Mr. Orland come from?From the boxset notes:
    The concert was shot with several cameras. However there was not a tape deck dedicated to each camera. Camera choices were made during the concert and fed to only three video tape machines. One machine recorded the directors choices for the live satellite transmission and incorporated the :montage effect-mulitipel images from the concert seen on screen all at once in video blocks................two other machines captured whatever camera choices were made for those machines................................... For this deluxe editon DVD set the January 14th concert has been re-edited from scratch with remastered sound and picture. The producers of this set worked with the three existing choices of tape to assemble, in their opinion, the best possible presentation of the material including the eliminations of virturally all montage screen look of the original presentation...................
    So, let me get this straight- your information comes from the liner notes of the Deluxe box set which could have been written by anyone, and my information comes directly from Steve Orland himself who actually worked on Aloha, supervised all of the videotaping, set up the recording trucks and edited the show.

I think I know which information I'm going to trust, mate.

Just remember, EPE staff are not neccessarily Elvis fans and they are not known for their accuracy- over the years they have had suits on display at Graceland dated wrongly and with the wrong belts on them, and on the Deluxe set whose liner notes you keep referring to, they have put the wrong photos on the main menus.

Please track down the JAT book "ELVIS IN HAWAII" and you will have all the information about Aloha straight from Marty Pasetta, Ray Klausen and Steve Orland as well as reproductions of Aloha-related notes and documents.

But anyway, good luck with your DVD liner notes lol.......
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 03-25-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Fixed .html coding

So, let me get this straight- your information comes from the liner notes of the Deluxe box set which could have been written by anyone, and my information comes directly from Steve Orland himself who actually worked on Aloha, supervised all of the videotaping, set up the recording trucks and edited the show.

I think I know which information I'm going to trust, mate.

Just remember, EPE staff are not neccessarily Elvis fans and they are not known for their accuracy- over the years they have had suits on display at Graceland dated wrongly and with the wrong belts on them, and on the Deluxe set whose liner notes you keep referring to, they have put the wrong photos on the main menus.

Please track down the JAT book "ELVIS IN HAWAII" and you will have all the information about Aloha straight from Marty Pasetta, Ray Klausen and Steve Orland as well as reproductions of Aloha-related notes and documents.

But anyway, good luck with your DVD liner notes lol.......
    First off my friend-this is not personal. You have the right to believe what you want-and so do I.which is a wonderful thing.
    You have a book and I have the liner notes, all the guys you list were consultants on the DVD box set so we have some conflicting information and-until more footage is released I have to go by the official information released by the people who own all the footage, have it in their vaults and just recently recently reviewed all they have for the box sets production.
    Now memories are not always foolproof, we are talking 40 years and even the best memories can be wrong-just as liner notes can be wrong.
    Everyone can make mistakes, EPE, SONY, TURNER, or even Orland, Pasetta, Klausen. Of the 60 plus books I have about Elvis not one is mistake free. As far as suits belts etc Elvis had his names for certain suits, the designers had their names, and fans gave them names- to be fair its not hard to understand mix ups. Everyone is human.
    I am more or less an open minded guy, but until a huge amount of unreleased footage is forthcoming from Aloha-I will go with the official statements posted in the liner notes............................................. ......totally understanding that they could be in error just as memories of 40 years ago could be in error.
    The liner notes mention 3 tape machines were used-you claim 7 which in my count means their could be up to 4 hours of some type footage still unreleased (if Orlands memory is correct). "IF" its correct there could be come logical reasons that the footage was not used-perhaps the other 4 cameras just recorded crowd shots from a distance, another did closeups of individuals in the audience, band members shots etc......just as not all the unreleased footage from TTWII and EOT was footage of Elvis....perhaps most of the other footage was just secondary footage where Elvis was not central.
    Another explaination might be that the footage from the other 4 cameras was just not kept-videotape was expensive in 1973-so they recorded the rehearsal show with cuts made by Pasetta as it happened, the same with the live show they kept footage from the main cameras and along the way the tapes were recorded over because they had the footage they.
    In 1973 the idea of saving every single piece of tape or film from a finished project was pretty much not done they had no inkling that in the future "DVD extras" would be a plus....since they were just getting into VHS production.
    I understand where you are coming from-but until any new footage is announced I will have to go by the stated official explaination.
    I think if I was "sandbagging footage" I would have left the detailed explaination about only 3 video machines off the liner notes completely....that way they could announce lost footage found in the future with no contradiction of their own notes. (especially since the original people are quoted in this book you mention)
    But stranger things have happened. As I say about things like this time will tell. If you are correct, Orlands memory is correct then something will be released-2013 would be the optimal year so we will see.

Oh and thanks for the wishes of good luck that means a lot
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 03-25-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Fixed .html coding
    Work in Progress!

EPE will annoy us with all their birthdays perpetual!

They'd better get out of EOT unpublished, 1977, etc.

They begin to puff ourselves up royally.

And I'm not talking imitators who are invited each year in August at Graceland ... in his own house!
    Last edited by Tommy; 03-24-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Please refrain from name calling......'imitators names' that are not favorable, thank you very much.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    First off my friend-this is not personal. You have the right to believe what you want-and so do I.which is a wonderful thing.
    You have a book and I have the liner notes, all the guys you list were consultants on the DVD box set so we have some conflicting information and-until more footage is released I have to go by the official information released by the people who own all the footage, have it in their vaults and just recently recently reviewed all they have for the box sets production.
    Now memories are not always foolproof, we are talking 40 years and even the best memories can be wrong-just as liner notes can be wrong.
    Everyone can make mistakes, EPE, SONY, TURNER, or even Orland, Pasetta, Klausen. Of the 60 plus books I have about Elvis not one is mistake free. As far as suits belts etc Elvis had his names for certain suits, the designers had their names, and fans gave them names- to be fair its not hard to understand mix ups. Everyone is human.
    I am more or less an open minded guy, but until a huge amount of unreleased footage is forthcoming from Aloha-I will go with the official statements posted in the liner notes............................................. ......totally understanding that they could be in error just as memories of 40 years ago could be in error.
    The liner notes mention 3 tape machines were used-you claim 7 which in my count means their could be up to 4 hours of some type footage still unreleased (if Orlands memory is correct). "IF" its correct there could be come logical reasons that the footage was not used-perhaps the other 4 cameras just recorded crowd shots from a distance, another did closeups of individuals in the audience, band members shots etc......just as not all the unreleased footage from TTWII and EOT was footage of Elvis....perhaps most of the other footage was just secondary footage where Elvis was not central.
    Another explaination might be that the footage from the other 4 cameras was just not kept-videotape was expensive in 1973-so they recorded the rehearsal show with cuts made by Pasetta as it happened, the same with the live show they kept footage from the main cameras and along the way the tapes were recorded over because they had the footage they.
    In 1973 the idea of saving every single piece of tape or film from a finished project was pretty much not done they had no inkling that in the future "DVD extras" would be a plus....since they were just getting into VHS production.
    I understand where you are coming from-but until any new footage is announced I will have to go by the stated official explaination.
    I think if I was "sandbagging footage" I would have left the detailed explaination about only 3 video machines off the liner notes completely....that way they could announce lost footage found in the future with no contradiction of their own notes. (especially since the original people are quoted in this book you mention)
    But stranger things have happened. As I say about things like this time will tell. If you are correct, Orlands memory is correct then something will be released-2013 would be the optimal year so we will see.

Oh and thanks for the wishes of good luck that means a lot
    KPM, you make some interesting points there & the scenario you raise about footage from the other 4 cameras being mostly audience shots is possible. But if you watch Aloha carefully all of the cameras are on the move constantly throughout the show. They had that big camera rig on wheels behind Ronnie Tutt and the others cameras were never stationery, so I believe that the unreleased footage is a mix of audience / Elvis / musicians of which there must be some great new angles of Elvis which have never been seen.

As for the crane camera which swung above the audience- the footage recorded from this would probably be long shots of the stage and audiience shots as they already had 3 cameras on stage for closeups.

The Aloha book I was quoting from was published in 1998, and the research that went into it was exhaustive & I honestly put much more faith in it than the Deluxe DVD booklet. The Deluxe Aloha set clearly does not have all available footage despite the liner notes saying it is "absolutely complete"! A glaring omission is the footage of the entertainment outside the HIC of which nothing extra was included.

I always enjoy lively Elvis debate- especially when it concerns ALOHA FROM HAWAII, but all we can do at this point is wait and see.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Please refrain from name calling......'imitators names' that are not favorable, thank you very much.

Duly noted!

KPM, you make some interesting points there & the scenario you raise about footage from the other 4 cameras being mostly audience shots is possible. But if you watch Aloha carefully all of the cameras are on the move constantly throughout the show. They had that big camera rig on wheels behind Ronnie Tutt and the others cameras were never stationery, so I believe that the unreleased footage is a mix of audience / Elvis / musicians of which there must be some great new angles of Elvis which have never been seen.

As for the crane camera which swung above the audience- the footage recorded from this would probably be long shots of the stage and audiience shots as they already had 3 cameras on stage for closeups.

The Aloha book I was quoting from was published in 1998, and the research that went into it was exhaustive & I honestly put much more faith in it than the Deluxe DVD booklet. The Deluxe Aloha set clearly does not have all available footage despite the liner notes saying it is "absolutely complete"! A glaring omission is the footage of the entertainment outside the HIC of which nothing extra was included.

I always enjoy lively Elvis debate- especially when it concerns ALOHA FROM HAWAII, but all we can do at this point is wait and see.........
    Yes if they are sandbagging footage I would assume the 40th anniversary would be the year to bring forth some "new found lost footage" so next year could be the time. If they wait till the 50th anniversary-not sure I'll still be around
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Yes if they are sandbagging footage I would assume the 40th anniversary would be the year to bring forth some "new found lost footage" so next year could be the time. If they wait till the 50th anniversary-not sure I'll still be around

But my friend, you dream completely !
    All this will come out in 6 generations !

They prefer to be with their wheat crappy ashtrays for sale at Graceland or on their website.

I've been to Graceland 31 times since 1978, and it is shameful

Thnx KPM,

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    But my friend, you dream completely !
    All this will come out in 6 generations ! They prefer to be with their wheat crappy ashtrays for sale at Graceland or on their website.

I've been to Graceland 31 times since 1978, and it is shameful
    Thnx KPM,
    What will come out in 6 generations-you lost me?
    They prefer??-They do not own the music, they do not own the films-they have made overtures to Warners about buying or working together on some things such as EOT and TTWII-but Warners has declined. Sony is not in the least interested in selling the music.
    So all that Elvis left Lisa in his will was his image and Graceland which was not in 1981 self supporting.
    The probate judge did not like the way the estate was headed(to bankruptcy) and plans were submitted to make the Graceland a profitable growing estate (as Elvis's will dictated) the probate judge felt that the opening of the home for a ticket buying public was the best way to secure the future of the estate for Lisa and he okayed the plan.
    Ashtrays, posters, mugs, photos, plates, jewelry, tapestrys, paintings, IE Trinkets.....were nothing new while Elvis was alive, he signed off on the marketing and selling of such items.......all the way back to 1956 when Teddy Bear Pink Lipstick was sold along with hundreds of other items.....nothing new.
    If he had owned his music and owned all or a portion of his films all this would have been different.
    I do not agree with all EPE has done-but do not fault them for doing what Elvis's asked to be done in the will-which was to protect and grow the estate for Lisa.
    Elvis did'nt leave a list of things not to do in order to fullfill his wishes.
    Very very curious..... you obviously do not approve of the way EPE handles things-so why visit Graceland 31 times and support the company that you disaprove of?
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast