17. Polk Salad Annie
    18. Introductions
    19. Suspicious Minds
    20. Can't Help Falling in Love

REVIEWS:

my boy
    Jungleroom76
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cd_on_stage_ftd.jpg  
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 05-09-2012 at 03:05 PM.

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Re: On Stage: February 1970

Absolutely loving this release the sound quality is stellar! Great version of "Release Me" on CD-2 and great audience interaction on "Polk" track 17 CD-2.

The quality of all the songs including the unreleased is very high – "Hound Dog" is of note for its superb drumming similar to the original (CD-2).

Thumbs up FTD

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by my boy View Post
    Absolutely loving this release the sound quality is stellar! Great version of "Release Me" on CD-2 and great audience interaction on "Polk" track 17 CD-2.

The quality of all the songs including the unreleased is very high – "Hound Dog" is of note for its superb drumming similar to the original (CD-2).

Thumbs up FTD
    Thanks for the initial impressions Dave!!

Just received my copy yesterday so I am anxious to see what goodies are hidden on this release!!

TCB!
    Mike

Cadillac King

WOW, you guys have he anxious to get a hold of my copy of this. Can't get enough of the 69-71 stuff!!!!

IM

This release is absolutely fantastic, the sound reproduction is awesome, have to say for me it's the best live realease FTD have ever done.
    Go out and buy this, You will love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1966 View Post
    This release is absolutely fantastic, the sound reproduction is awesome, have to say for me it's the best live realease FTD have ever done.
    Go out and buy this, You will love it!
    Got to agree

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    Thanks for the initial impressions Dave!!

Just received my copy yesterday so I am anxious to see what goodies are hidden on this release!!

TCB!
    Mike
    It's top quality Mike – there's alternate ad libs for example on CD-1 and "Let It Be Me" on the original towards the end Elvis say's 'take it home' on the unreleased track it's, "take it home baby!!" – little touches like that are throughout and as I mentioned–– it's high quality...

It's top quality Mike – there's alternate ad libs for example on CD-1 and "Let It Be Me" on the original towards the end Elvis say's 'take it home' on the unreleased track it's, "take it home baby!!" – little touches like that are throughout and as I mentioned–– it's high quality...
    Thanks again Dave!! Perhaps we could convince you to present a full review of the CD when you have the spare time to do so??

TCB!
    Mike

Thanks again Dave!! Perhaps we could convince you to present a full review of the CD when you have the spare time to do so??

TCB!
    Mike
    Will do my best Mike

Will do my best Mike
    Sounds GREAT my friend!!

TCB!
    Mike

Without question Elvis Presley ON STAGE (Feb 1970) and his summer festival extravaganza – TTWII in concert movie are career peaks – Follow That Dream’s 2-CD classic album version includes the original album, plus quality unreleased tracks from a period when ‘E’ was firing on all cylinders. Elvis was performing a unique set-list bereft almost completely of his famous hits, but instead featured classic cover versions of the contemporary artists of the day: Songwriting aces and performers – Neil Diamond, swamp rocker John Fogerty, Del Shannon, and the swamp fox - Tony Joe White (“Polk Salad Annie”) - Elvis performed this favourite almost most of his on-stage career. Add Ray Peterson’s wonderful, “The Wonder Of You” which became a big hit for Elvis,and Little Richard’s high octane “Long Tall Sally,” and I think you get the picture – a smorgasbord of rock ‘n’ roll and sublime ballads...

Spread into four with the original album, plus the Feb 18 Midnight show, Feb 18 Dinner show, and finally the Feb 19 Midnight show recordings (presumable there's more in the can) –– FTDs version is a veritable corker! Sound is simple stunning, which is the norm if Vic Anesini is involved, and he duly was. Opener “See See Rider” sounds sharp and better than ever before, it's maybe the default version for the R&B stomper... Likewise who can resist air-guitar to James Burton's solo on “Runaway” – but it’s those ‘chica bom, chica boms’ on “Polk” that really astound! The Sweets could be in the room...

The unreleased tracks include little asides, some will be new to your ears, some were edited in to the original album.

Disc Two is more of the same high quality Elvis and of special note is a great version of “Hound Dog,” performed with original drum sound. Elvis takes some liberties with the lyrics on “Kentucky Rain,” and "Don’t Cry Daddy" (CD-1 I digress), however the songs are so well performed in particular the Feb 19 Midnight show recordings have a gusto and looseness with a triple whammy finish of “Let me gooohhhh, urgh, **** right honey” –– on “Release Me” (trk 16, CD-2) – and is fantastic! Additionally “Polk Salad Annie” that follows is again high quality with a slightly different bass runs towards the climax and has JB spitting out blues licks at will throughout,it’s not an eight minute version as stated but there’s captivating audience interaction for the few minutes that follow.

The Elvis classic “Suspicious Minds” includes the ‘shove it up your nose line’ - usually a barometer for a good, loose version – and yes, it’s quality – Elvis quietens the band during the hushed “caught in a trap” part near the climax before exploding into the chorus again, brilliant! You can even hear one of the Sweets giggle at one point and obviously Elvis is teasing them... I’’ll stick my neck out and say it’s one of the best Feb 1970 SM released – just listen to the guitar intro alone, but it’s Elvis’s voice that’s the star, sounding flawless, full and rich. The song is very close to the later TTWII versions, almost identical in fact and its fascinating to hear its live progression to what became a live powerhouse... Additionally there’s subtle differences that the keen listener will pick up here and there, and it’s all a total joy to listen to.

With over 20 unreleased tracks and a gorgeous booklet and package as always from FTD, it's pure gold from the golden year of 1970...
    Last edited by my boy; 03-29-2012 at 03:19 AM.

THANK YOU SO MUCH DAVE!!!

Reading your review makes it seem like I've just listened to the album myself, it is SO descriptive and informative!! MANY THANKS MY DEAR FRIEND for your insightful review!!

TCB!
    Mike

THANK YOU SO MUCH DAVE!!!

Reading your review makes it seem like I've just listened to the album myself, it is SO descriptive and informative!! MANY THANKS MY DEAR FRIEND for your insightful review!!

TCB!
    Mike
    My pleasure.

Here's a review for the ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 FTD release that I have just completed:

I must admit that upon initially hearing that the "Follow That Dream" (FTD) Collector's Label would be releasing the ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 album as part of their "Classic Albums" series, I was indifferent. Not because of the album itself or the material, but more just a personal feeling that we fans have been inundated with releases featuring Elvis' 1970 live concert material over the last few years. However, I am happy to report that the newest reincarnation of the ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 album by the fine folks at FTD put my feelings of indifference to rest by the end of the first song!!!

Once again, the FTD team has taken material, which was seemingly thought by many fans to be nearly perfect when last released on the main RCA/Sony label as part of their "Legacy Edition" series in 2010, and improved it yet again. The results are arguably one of the best "Classic Albums" releases on the FTD label ever and quite possibly one of the best Elvis albums ever!! Thanks to FTD, the new "Classic Albums" release of ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 has given this reviewer a whole new appreciation of Elvis' early 1970's concert output.

Following on the heels of Elvis' historic recording sessions at the American Sound Studios in Memphis during the winter of 1969 and his triumphant return to live concert performing during a 4-week sold out engagement at the International Hotel in Las Vegas during July & August 1969, the original release of ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 presented Elvis' fans with 10 brand new live recordings captured during Elvis' second sold-out run at the International Hotel in late January & February 1970. What made the original album so historic was not only did Elvis' name appear no where on the album jacket (except for small print along the jacket spine), but none of the ten songs featured on the album were Elvis' songs. Elvis' producer, Felton Jarvis, wanted to focus the ON STAGE album on some of Elvis' more contemporary live material instead of his own back-catalog of hits. New material such as SEE SEE RIDER, PROUD MARY and the now infamous Tony Joe White composition POLK SALAD ANNIE showcased a much more diverse Elvis Presley that was clearly in touch with not only his own musical roots, but the contemporary sounds that were shaping the landscape in early 1970. Now with the addition of 30 additional live recordings captured by Felton Jarvis and RCA, the FTD release of ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 provides fans with an even greater look at Elvis' concert performances during his second full season at the International Hotel.

The new "Classic Albums" release of ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 kicks off Disc One with the 10 songs that made up the original album release in 1970. Not only is it a treat to hear fine performances such as SWEET CAROLINE, THE WONDER OF YOU and LET IT BE ME again, but the sound quality has never been better! What I personally thought to be unable to be improved upon from the aforementioned "Legacy Edition" release of 2010 has been made even better this time around!! But Ernst & Co. didn't stop there...thanks to their tireless efforts, both discs of the new ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 FTD release sound absolutely incredible!! The musicians sound like they are performing right there in the room with the listener with such clear and crisp sound, while Elvis' voice (to me anyway) sounded just right in the mix. Trust me -- this material has NEVER sounded better!!

As for the material itself, once the original 10-track album is complete, FTD has provided fans with 30 additional tracks which were recorded during the dinner and midnight shows on February 18th and the midnight show on February 19th. This time, not only are newer performances such as WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES and RELEASE ME featured, but Elvis classics like SUSPICIOUS MINDS, DON'T CRY DADDY, KENTUCKY RAIN and IN THE GHETTO provide a more well-rounded look at an early 1970 Elvis concert! Hearing live recordings of LONG TALL SALLY, LOVE ME TENDER and even HOUND DOG (featuring some fantastic drumming reminiscent of the early days) taken at more serious and less frenzied paces is indeed a true delight. The highlights of the new ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 FTD release are far too many to list...suffice it to say the entire 2-disc set is one big highlight!!

The artwork for the ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 album is typical for the "Classic Albums" series from FTD, with both discs created to simulate the original orange album labels and the customary tri-fold 7-inch digipak design. The front cover of the release features the original album front cover artwork, with the original back cover art and a seldom seen action shot of Elvis on stage on the inner panel. The back cover of the package is simply, yet tastefully designed with a black & white shot of Elvis along with the track listing for the set. Once again, as per usual, the set also includes a 12-page booklet which provides great detail on the timeline surrounding the recording and release of the original album back in 1970. Photos of various RCA memos, documents and other memorabilia pertaining to the original album along with some rare color and black & white concert photos of Elvis round out the informative booklet, which I found most interesting to read while listening to the album.

What I initially thought would be one of those rare FTD releases that would not spend much time off of my shelf has become just the opposite! Thanks to the great folks at the "Follow That Dream" Collector's Label, the new (and dare I say ULTIMATE?) "Classic Albums" 2-CD release of ON STAGE - FEBRUARY 1970 has spent little time out of my CD player...it's THAT good!!

TCB!
    Mike

Thanks my friend for excellent reviews.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

Reading these reviews inspired me to place my order. I received my copy yesterday and absolutely love it. I have played it over and over again.. Thanks for the great reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Eap1956 View Post
    Reading these reviews inspired me to place my order. I received my copy yesterday and absolutely love it. I have played it over and over again.. Thanks for the great reviews!
    One of FTDs finest I think...

Cadillac King

Just got this beauty in the mail yesterday. Can't wait to listen to this one after my turkey dinner!!! Elvis at his best.

IM