Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songs that elicit an emotional response

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

Songs that elicit an emotional response

This is a very interesting analysis of the sonic properties of songs that make people cry or give them goosebumps, using Adele's Someone Like You as an example (because of the way many people react to it).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203646004577213010291701378.html

I wonder if any of you have such responses to any of Elvis's songs and if so, what part(s) of those songs. Also, can anyone identify some of the patterns identified in the article in any EP songs?
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Re: Songs that elicit an emotional response

Not sure about the psycho babble, but IVE LOST YOU, DONT CRY DADDY, AMERICAN TRILOGY, and others, sure do it for me .........

The most obvious one to me is Unchained Melody.......
    Of all the covers that Elvis did of other people's songs, I always prefer his interpretation of it.......except Unchained Melody. I love the Righteous Bros version....

The thing with UM, is the obvious connection that a few short weeks later he wouldn't be here, the way he struggles his way through (hampered I'm sure by sitting down), that cheeky grin......just makes me fill up, I want to start bawling.......I get this mixture of immense sadness....and a deep frustration, that I wanted to get hold of him and give him such a shake/slap to try to make him see what he was doing to himself.

People want to see an official release of EIC, in upgraded quality......no, not for me. I've seen what I need to see, it's enough.

Long Black Limousine
    What Now My Love (in Aloha, the line 'no-one would care if I should live or die'....it's the expression on his face)
    It's Easy For You
    Separate Ways

there's many more of course
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Lately for me it's been Don't Cry Daddy.

International Level spanish eyes's Avatar

I feel emotional when I listen to Elvis sing simply because he feels what he's singing, so he parts his heart and soul into it and I feel that.

Deb I can so relate to you about What Now My Love, that song has brought tears to my eyes.

The laughing version of Are you Lonesome Tonight is my cheer up song, cos when I hear him laugh, he lifts my spirits.
    You ask how long I love you, I'll tell you true,
    until the Twelfth of Never, I'll still be loving you

LIF

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Wow already some good ones. Debtdbruno, I really like Its easy for you and What now my love are some of my favorites too. I would maybe add "Its Over". There are so many.

But the song that really sums it up for me is Bridge over troubled water. When he sings that song it makes me think about how I feel when I hear his music.... When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them off....When time gets rough and friends cant be found (Elvis will be there) I could go on and on with this song. Here is one of my favorite versions.

Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    The most obvious one to me is Unchained Melody.......
    Of all the covers that Elvis did of other people's songs, I always prefer his interpretation of it.......except Unchained Melody. I love the Righteous Bros version....

The thing with UM, is the obvious connection that a few short weeks later he wouldn't be here, the way he struggles his way through (hampered I'm sure by sitting down), that cheeky grin......just makes me fill up, I want to start bawling.......I get this mixture of immense sadness....and a deep frustration, that I wanted to get hold of him and give him such a shake/slap to try to make him see what he was doing to himself.

People want to see an official release of EIC, in upgraded quality......no, not for me. I've seen what I need to see, it's enough.

Long Black Limousine
    What Now My Love (in Aloha, the line 'no-one would care if I should live or die'....it's the expression on his face)
    It's Easy For You
    Separate Ways

there's many more of course
    Unchained melody & My Way (CBS VERSION) by elvis. I Would love to see the Official release of EIC With the outtakes. what i noticed is that they talk awesome/great about the soundtrack but when it gets to the footage people get mad and go no he wasnt in a good shape
    well let me tell you. Elvis was 42.Having a great voice still! And for me i love elvis in concert it was the first time i got introduced to elvis and made me became a elvisfan. Looks like people cant seem to accept his '77 look. Sure elvis was sick and lonely. But Elvis was Elvis u cant expect a guy from 42 to still do the same thing he did 20 years earlier. U cant either compare EIC to TTWII, Those where 7 years between and Elvis had alot goin on in his life between those years. EIC Will always be my favourite Elvis Documentary

I agree totally.........he was a middle aged Man, and to be totally honest, I thought he was a bit too thin in the 68 special, and TTWII. Physically, I would say in On Tour he looked about right....just a bit pale and a terrible hairstyle.....lol

The holiday pics of Hawaii in the March....he just looked a bit 'tubby'.....but not bad. The jumpsuits made him look far worse. It was all around the gut area, his arms and legs looked quite thin.

Regarding the vocals, I think he pulled it out of the bag with the bigger vocal songs, but more upsetting to me was the mumbling, and slightly incoherent talking.....that is not what the general public need to be re-reminded of......
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Well For Me It's 'Anything That's part of you'
    'Love Me, Love the life i lead'
    'Take my hand precious lord'
    'Do You know who i am'
    Theses Tracks get me all the time, And never fail to move me.

Everyone has some amazing songs that do get an emotional response, What Now My Love is an awesome song and performance, as is Unchained and My Way. There are so many that can Emotionally touch you, being that my Mother and Father have passed on, I cannot make it thru Mamma liked the roses or My Boy without shedding a tear, love these songs and that's why I'm even more of a fan of his music because he could make you feel the words and feel the emotions as he sang. So many to choose from! That's why he'll always be The King!! Thank U Elvis!! TCB!!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Definitely an interesting topic...

Songs like NEVER AGAIN, LOVE COMING DOWN, I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN, BITTER THEY ARE HARDER THEY FALL, and especially PIECES OF MY LIFE have to be at the top of the list for me. And if you look at this particular list, you can obviously see the connection that they are all autobiographical songs, having a deep meaning for Elvis. Thus, I think these songs really provide a true emotional response for the listener.

The live version of MY WAY from the '77 CBS special also provides an emotional response, but in the case of this particular version of the song, the response comes more from seeing the video. I don't know think the song comes across the same if you just listen to the audio versus seeing the performance. I think once a fan as seen the performance, it takes on a whole different response for the fan...if that makes any sense...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Loving Arms for me, his voice,and the way he sings it is superb, you know he is wanting to get back to his love,listen to him when he sings ''Singing somewhere in the lonely night, dreamin of the arms that held me tight''......goosebumps every time.

Don't Cry Daddy probably get to me the most.
    Long Black Limousine
    You Gave Me A Mountain

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kathy parkinson View Post
    Loving Arms for me, his voice,and the way he sings it is superb, you know he is wanting to get back to his love,listen to him when he sings ''Singing somewhere in the lonely night, dreamin of the arms that held me tight''......goosebumps every time.
    Me too. There are several others already mentioned that do the same, but this is a big one for me and it also features one of the properties the article describes:

"...unexpected deviations in the melody or the harmony. Music is most likely to tingle the spine, in short, when it includes surprises in volume, timbre and harmonic pattern."
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

The gospel songs "Stand by Me" "Somebody Bigger than You and I" "You'll Never Walk Alone" have strong emotional contact to me.
    Also "Tender Feeling" from Kissin Cousins, "Home is Where the Heart is" from Kid Galahad, "That Someone You Never Forget"
    many more.... really too many to mention.
    Work in Progress!

Stand by me is another emotional song for me. Trilogy, countless others!

I always cry while listening to
    Green green grass of home
    and I feel deeply emotioned also with
    Pieces of my life and
    Help me make it tru the night
    Before anyone did anything,
    Elvis did everything

The power of a song is something amazing, But the power of Elvis singing a song is totally uplifting.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Another one I forgot to list is THERE'S A HONKY TONK ANGEL (WHO'LL TAKE ME BACK IN)...especially when Elvis sings the line "Oh, when there's an old friend out there...and she's waiting...Lord, she's happy just holding my hand." That is some GOOD STUFF right there, especially when you listen to the emotion in his voice on some of the undubbed outtakes on the PROMISED LAND FTD release!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast