Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is supposedly in RCA Vaults 7-31-69

Re: This is supposedly in RCA Vaults 7-31-69

Yes I know its suppose to mean professional footage-but since there is no sourcing given for each item on the list, its hard to take a list this size seriously. It looks like all the rumors and wishes of we fans over the last 35 years.
    Some of the items are higher in probability than others, but still its just heresay right now.
    Would love for it all to be true.
    Work in Progress!

Also there is something wrong on the list. Elvis did not perform on january 23. He started on january 26 and ended on february 23.

1973. Forgot to write that.

But after all I think it's very hard to believe that there is no more professionally filmed stuff than the known. -- I just don't know why. -- I guess Elvis himself did not care as he wanted people to see him live,and not on film. The 3 tv-specials and the 2 movies (T.T.W.I.I. and E.O.T) was not his idea. Of course he was interested to do a very good job,and also did his best,but it was not he who came up with the idea. Even the 68-special was Parker's idea from the first when he wanted him to do "something else". - - Later on I guess Parker did'nt think over it. Elvis was alive,and was doing concerts all the time. Why use cameras? ----- I hope I'm wrong. ----- At least at special events there should have been some cameras rolling. Like the 1961 concerts, the opening or at least one of the 69 concerts, maybe Houston in 70, new years eve 75. As examples.
    The only reason I can imagine there were cameras in Vegas in 69 is that (as far as I know) NBC have in their contracts to sending an reprise of the 68-show in 1969. Which they also did. (They then replaced "Blue Christmas" with "Tiger man".) But maybe they want some new extra material as a bonus,and that is maybe the rumour-explanation from the above-mentioned list about NBC filmed some few songs in Vegas in 69. - But this is just what I think.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LPM1254 View Post
    But after all I think it's very hard to believe that there is no more professionally filmed stuff than the known. -- I just don't know why. -- I guess Elvis himself did not care as he wanted people to see him live,and not on film. The 3 tv-specials and the 2 movies (T.T.W.I.I. and E.O.T) was not his idea. Of course he was interested to do a very good job,and also did his best,but it was not he who came up with the idea. Even the 68-special was Parker's idea from the first when he wanted him to do "something else". - - Later on I guess Parker did'nt think over it. Elvis was alive,and was doing concerts all the time. Why use cameras? ----- I hope I'm wrong. ----- At least at special events there should have been some cameras rolling. Like the 1961 concerts, the opening or at least one of the 69 concerts, maybe Houston in 70, new years eve 75. As examples.
    The only reason I can imagine there were cameras in Vegas in 69 is that (as far as I know) NBC have in their contracts to sending an reprise of the 68-show in 1969. Which they also did. (They then replaced "Blue Christmas" with "Tiger man".) But maybe they want some new extra material as a bonus,and that is maybe the rumour-explanation from the above-mentioned list about NBC filmed some few songs in Vegas in 69. - But this is just what I think.
    Interesting question, but my guess is the answer is very simple...$$$$$$$$$

By the time Elvis was back on tour in the 70's, The Colonel was at his greediest in terms of stealing as much money from Elvis as he could, and filming concerts would cost money and cut into the touring profits, thus cutting into The Colonel's take. The Colonel probably just didn't see the need to film concerts...believe me, if he had any idea on how to make money from filming Elvis' shows, he would have done it!! My guess is he just didn't want to spend the extra money to film the shows, thus adding more money to the greedy b*****d's pockets!!!

To be honest, I am a bit mystified as to why more important shows like the Astrodome shows, the Madison Square Garden shows or other more high-profile shows weren't filmed or contracts weren't worked out to televise the shows. I can understand why The Colonel didn't work out a deal to film/televise the opening Vegas '69 shows...after being off stage for so many years, there was some hesitation as to how Elvis would be received by a live audience and there is nothing worse than falling flat in front of a filmed/televised audience...so that one I can understand why there were no deals worked out for a film/TV project. But once it was clearly established that Elvis was indeed back and would be out on tour, I don't know why there weren't more filmed/televised projects worked out. Although another point of speculation has to be that The Colonel always had a thing about not over-exposing Elvis, so perhaps he felt if there were more concerts televised/released, it would cut down on attendance at shows??

Some points to ponder...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

By the way, I'd like to welcome you to TCB-World LPM1254!!

We're glad to have you as a part of our TCB-World family!!

TCB!
    Mike

Oh,thank you Mike! -- I've been here for some years,but have not been so active as you can see. --- I guess the most people here is from the us? --- Actually I've been in the us 4 times. Visiting new states every time. Now I've been in 29,missing 21. - All the 50 before I'm 50 years old is my goal...
    That leads to a funny question. I knew it once,but I have forgotten. How many states never saw an Elvis-concert? I believe it is about 8. I know for sure Alaska, Vermont, New Hampshire, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Delaware. That's those I remember just taking it out of my head.
    Do I miss someone?

I know that some people record every concert they do, I have a friend who is huge a Hank Williams Jr. fan and he says that Hank Jr. videofilms and records every single concert he has done since the video cameras became common place.
    Williams likes to review his shows and he keeps the copies-smart IMO.
    Work in Progress!

Oh,thank you Mike! -- I've been here for some years,but have not been so active as you can see.
    Well we're happy you're active with us now!!

That leads to a funny question. I knew it once,but I have forgotten. How many states never saw an Elvis-concert? I believe it is about 8. I know for sure Alaska, Vermont, New Hampshire, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, Delaware. That's those I remember just taking it out of my head.
    Do I miss someone?
    New Jersey I believe is one he never performed in either...

I think that's all of them.

TCB!
    Mike

Bad Rumor!
    TCB,
    See See Rider

WOW!!!!

I have never seen this website before!!!

www.rareelvispresley.com

What am amazing resource just from the few minutes I spent browsing it just now...

Nice site www.rareelvispresley.com

Thnx

Coming On Strong

it`s funny about all this stuff from 1969 as we all know that felton and rca didn`t bring any recording equipment before the 20th of august and Joan Deary (who came in my convnetion 3 times in Montreal) always says that there were no recording in the early vegas engagements..so....
    steve

Steve is right, there was no RCA guys before Aug 20. Yet, another kind of recording could have been made and that's the tape from?

Going a bit out of topic.

Some times I wonder how great would be if Felton Jarvis would still be around us. The amount of knowlege we would have both: about Elvis sessions and recorded or not live stuff, but mostly about how was Elvis at work session by session.

To bad... rest in peace F.J.

Its hard to say what may have been done at the beginning in 69, I mean even a high quality reel to reel tape unmixed from a single feed would be a great find and I guess it could have been done with little or no fanfare if Elvis, Parker or someone at RCA had wanted to hear the opening night.
    The fact that the cases exist in the photo leaves open the question why go to the trouble to right all the songs down if no tape existed??
    I must say RCA in general seems to have been a pretty haphazard company when it came to keeping records.....sales, recording date details, where the raw elements for recording dates were in storage after the album was released......they just seem really disorganized.
    Work in Progress!

Coming On Strong

after the dead of Felton, I met his wife a few times near nashville and we had a chance to talk with others from Europe (they were the buyers) and she also talks about the stress of recording live but Felton was alrewady working to overdubbed and making some final touch to some recording that elvis did in memphis in the beginning of the year.She said that he didn`t left for vegas before the 19th and that he had to receive the quipement and rca people on the 20th to begingg recording on the 22nd.
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve grayson View Post
    after the dead of Felton, I met his wife a few times near nashville and we had a chance to talk with others from Europe (they were the buyers) and she also talks about the stress of recording live but Felton was alrewady working to overdubbed and making some final touch to some recording that elvis did in memphis in the beginning of the year.She said that he didn`t left for vegas before the 19th and that he had to receive the quipement and rca people on the 20th to begingg recording on the 22nd.
    steve
    That some valuable first hand info, thanks so much Steve.

Coming On Strong

this is some stuff that I know for sure because it happen to me. When I was with Joan Deary we had long talk somethime 3-4 hours long she was a very special friend and a very special woman. Ms Jarvis also was real nice. I remember Ms. Jarvis when she told me and the other guys that Felton tell hwer that the sound engeneer had some recording tape..bruce jackson and bill porter.
    thansk, steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12