Thread: Great review/article at TCM about Elvis on Tour

Great review/article at TCM about Elvis on Tour

This is a very nice article and has some points and comments I have never heard. (no mention of SE Release)
    http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...s-on-Tour.html
    Work in Progress!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

Re: Great review/article at TCM about Elvis on Tour

I think Lisa Marie owed it to her father and his fans (the ones that made her rich after all) to buy the rights to all material from TTWII and On Tour. Uncut material and all unused footage. It's like having paintings from Rembrandt, but store them somewhere in a barn, for none to see.

If it's commercially not interesting to release a proper On Tour (for MGM and the company that owns the outtakes), then the owners of Elvis' Legacy (Lisa) should do so.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

she won't want to spend the $$$$$$$$$$
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Thanks for posting that’s a nice article. There are some nice points and things I have never thought of about how the film was put together. I do remember seeing how awkward the scene was where the old guy presented Elvis with a flower guitar. The guy was like the girls wanted to give you something unique, never seen you play the guitar. AWKWARD. Elvis was always nice though. I surprise they didn’t mention the old man and the elevators, why they added that into the film. That’s the worse part of the movie they even kept it in the new release.

I don’t think Lisa will purchase these I would love to see it happen though. They don’t seem to purchase anything that cost even a little bit of money. I see so many things that come up for auction that could be bought and I don’t think they put any bids on the items. I guess they feel they have plenty of Elvis artifacts in storage.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Great article, I enjoyed it, thanks for posting.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Thanks so much for posting that Ken...I had never seen it before!!

Certainly, ELVIS ON TOUR was a groundbreaking documentary on many levels, but watching it today it appears somewhat outdated with the techniques used in the film. While it was nice to FINALLY get an official DVD release of EOT, it really is time for MGM/Turner/Warner Brothers/EPE or whomever to turn all of the tapes over to the right people so that we can finally get an updated EOT release, a' la THAT'S THE WAY IT IS - SPECIAL EDITION.

And for pete's sake, if a special edition of EOT is ever produced, please leave out the segment with the elderly man telling us what hallways, doors and elevators Elvis would be using....I'd much rather see another Elvis performance in its place!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    I think Lisa Marie owed it to her father and his fans (the ones that made her rich after all) to buy the rights to all material from TTWII and On Tour. Uncut material and all unused footage. It's like having paintings from Rembrandt, but store them somewhere in a barn, for none to see.

If it's commercially not interesting to release a proper On Tour (for MGM and the company that owns the outtakes), then the owners of Elvis' Legacy (Lisa) should do so.
    EPE has tried in many ways to either buy or somehow work together with Warners on this very idea of getting the outtakes cleaned up and out to the fans-but Warners is not interested in selling or licencing the footage to EPE... Todd Morgan said this in an interview in 2007:
    Todd Morgan- 'We have suggested to Warner Brothers on several occasions the possibility of their someday licensing to EPE the Elvis, That's the Way It Is and Elvis on Tour footage for us to produce special additional DVD releases or partnering with us on such special releases as Andrew Solt did with us on last year's Elvis/Sullivan DVD set. Nothing like that is actually in the works with Warner and EPE at this time, but it remains open for consideration in our ongoing and very good relationship with Warner Brothers. In whatever scenario it might happen, we just hope there will be special additional DVD releases of material from the two Elvis MGM concert films'.

So it is not EPE or Lisa who is the stumbling block-it is Warners.....as I have said in the past-they know they have a goldmine....everytime they re-release any film by Elvis they make money with little overhead.
    Blueray has given them a new opportunity to make money off of product that costs little to put out and everytime a new advance comes along in home video they will make new money. I know it stinks, I know its not fair to we fans but thats just the way they see it.
    Last edited by KPM; 02-16-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Work in Progress!

it's okay holding out........they could find they overplay their hand. Fans are getting older, there might be less who care whether this ever sees the light of day
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    it's okay holding out........they could find they overplay their hand. Fans are getting older, there might be less who care whether this ever sees the light of day
    I am one of those fans getting older and I know what you are saying.
    I also think one of the things which has hurt the chances of Warners spending some cash to really put out a top notch SE of EOT with plenty of outtakes is the fact that someone in their vaults decided to copy and release all the footage Warners owned in the vaults a few years back-it may have made this person some money but it did not help get this stuff released properly/legally.
    All the outtakes came from whomever copied the footage and sold it.... now much of the unreleased footage is on YouTube from EOT and TTWII and IMO it has hurt the chances of Warners spending any cash to put out the things we want.
    I love the outtakes but would love even more the chance to buy them legally at the store.
    Warners logic would be-
    Its been out there for several years and anyone who really wants the unreleased footage probably already has it (which is not true but sadly I think that would be their thinking)
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    EPE has tried in many ways to either buy or somehow work together with Warners on this very idea of getting the outtakes cleaned up and out to the fans-but Warners is not interested in selling or licencing the footage to EPE... Todd Morgan said this in an interview in 2007:
    Todd Morgan- 'We have suggested to Warner Brothers on several occasions the possibility of their someday licensing to EPE the Elvis, That's the Way It Is and Elvis on Tour footage for us to produce special additional DVD releases or partnering with us on such special releases as Andrew Solt did with us on last year's Elvis/Sullivan DVD set. Nothing like that is actually in the works with Warner and EPE at this time, but it remains open for consideration in our ongoing and very good relationship with Warner Brothers. In whatever scenario it might happen, we just hope there will be special additional DVD releases of material from the two Elvis MGM concert films'.

So it is not EPE or Lisa who is the stumbling block-it is Warners.....as I have said in the past-they know they have a goldmine....everytime they re-release any film by Elvis they make money with little overhead.
    Blueray has given them a new opportunity to make money off of product that costs little to put out and everytime a new advance comes along in home video they will make new money. I know it stinks, I know its not fair to we fans but thats just the way they see it.
    That was in 2007. A lot has changed since then concerning the economy for thing, and EPE's financial backing with the purchase by AGM. I'm not saying that EPE will make an offer or have or haven't, just that there's a possibility now today that wasn't there prior to 2007.

If Time-Warner has no plans to use the unreleased shelved footage from the two concert films, it is possible that EPE/CKX could make a respectable offer to them for the complete rights to the masters of the two plus all unseen and unreleased footage. EPE could then remaster it and restore the footage and release it like they did with Aloha SE and make a profit off of it by marketing it commercially.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    That was in 2007. A lot has changed since then concerning the economy for thing, and EPE's financial backing with the purchase by AGM. I'm not saying that EPE will make an offer or have or haven't, just that there's a possibility now today that wasn't there prior to 2007.

If Time-Warner has no plans to use the unreleased shelved footage from the two concert films, it is possible that EPE/CKX could make a respectable offer to them for the complete rights to the masters of the two plus all unseen and unreleased footage. EPE could then remaster it and restore the footage and release it like they did with Aloha SE and make a profit off of it by marketing it commercially.
    That was exactly the argument when Sillerman took over-and we see the results.

As I have shown Time-Warner was approached by EPE for buying the footage outright or some sort of licensing of the footage in which EPE, Warners and perhaps another producer would work together....Warners was not interested...that is the bottom line....you can not negotiate if one of the parties is not interested in selling.
    Why is Warners so unlikely to sell-because it knows it does not have to sell......it does not have to invest much capital to produce re-issues, it does not have to do anything and they will continue year in and year out making profit on all the films they own-including EOT and TTWII.....

Once again we come to the fact that the music and films are priceless......all bought and paid for long ago and the owners know they can reap benefits for many many more years........like the tortoise and the hair fable-the tortoise slowly and deliberately pushed forward to a profitable end......the same thing applies here.
    I do agree EPE should keep trying to acquire the footage (as the statement "it remains open for consideration...."suggests)-but do not think its fair to blame them because it was not a part of the estate when Elvis died, nor for the fact that Warners does not want to sell.
    Logically would anyone here sell the music or films if we owned them? IMO NO a goldmine is a goldmine.
    Work in Progress!