Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which one from the Sweet Inspirations was related to Whitney Houston?

Re: Which one from the Sweet Inspirations was related to Whitney Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    So who were the ladies who backed Elvis in the Gospel segment of Singer Presents Elvis! aka the 68 Comeback Special?
    I wonder why Elvis didn't ask them to be with him in Vegas, or were they booked elsewhere?
    Darlene Love and The Blossoms. Elvis did ask them to tour with him but Darlene said they couldn't. But it was for personal reasons.

Speaking of Darlene, it's been no secret that she had a fling with Elvis during the Change Of habit movie, but she's tried to protect his image by blowing it off as innocence. According to Darlene in a recent interview, she said that he came on to her but that she was too scared to take him up on his offer. She said that they were real good friends and that she and Elvis once hung out at the Memphian Theater when the girls were in town in the 70's.

Over the years, Darlene has changed up her story about the romance. She's even admitted "they weren't going to let him be with a black girl", referring to his family and his people around him.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lisarose View Post
    So who were the ladies who backed Elvis in the Gospel segment of Singer Presents Elvis! aka the 68 Comeback Special?
    I wonder why Elvis didn't ask them to be with him in Vegas, or were they booked elsewhere?
    They were The Blossoms, Darlene Love, Fanita James, Jean King. They also appeared in "Change of Habit" when Elvis sang Rubberneckin and at the end singing in the church.
    Darlene Love has done several acting roles including playing Danny Glovers wife in the Lethal Weapon films.
    Her voice was lead on many Motown hits and she had to fight to get credit for her vocals.
    I think the Blossums were backing Tom Jones during Elvis's return to live performances.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    They were The Blossoms, Darlene Love, Fanita James, Jean King. They also appeared in "Change of Habit" when Elvis sang Rubberneckin and at the end singing in the church.
    Darlene Love has done several acting roles including playing Danny Glovers wife in the Lethal Weapon films.
    Her voice was lead on many Motown hits and she had to fight to get credit for her vocals.
    I think the Blossums were backing Tom Jones during Elvis's return to live performances.
    According to Love, they began working with Tom Jones in 1971. How ironic too that Jones had The Blossoms as his opening act and backup singers to his shows the same way that Elvis did with The Sweet Inspirations. I have always felt that Tom copied Elvis and was envy of him, even though they were close friends.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    No, the fourth person was Ann Williams who was a church friend of Estelle Brown of the Sweet Inspirations, who was called on to replace Cissy. Millie was white. From my understanding, Cissy stayed on past the 1969 Vegas engagement and was recording with the Sweet Inspirations during the On Stage sessions in February in Las Vegas but left during that period when her daughter Whitney had to be hospitalized. She never returned. Ann came on for the following Vegas engagement in August of 1970 but left shortly after. The Sweet Inspirations then decided not to replace her with another girl and became a trio.
    Thank you so much Brian! That makes much more sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12