Thread: John Wilkinsons Elvis book

John Wilkinsons Elvis book

I was just wondering who Else has read this book here? I finished reading it about a week or so ago. I have mixed feelings about the book, although it doesn't trash Elvis there are some elements in the book that bug me.

I really don't like it when people say Elvis was a bad guitar player and that he only knew three chords. I play guitar and i learnt to play 12 bar blues from watching Elvis on the 68 comeback and he knew a lot mroe than three chords and he knew more than the standard chords strutcures for chords like c,d, g,. Now I'm not saying Elvis was a great guitarist like James Burton but people seem to forget that the initial sound that everyone raves about on his Sun recordings is Scotty lead guitar, Bills bass work and Elvis' rhythm guitar.

Just wondering what others think.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Re: John Wilkinsons Elvis book

I read Johns book a couple of years ago, can't say I found anything offensive or enlightening about it.......

The thing which bugs me more than anything with all books written about him by friends', lovers etc......is they all claim to have that 'one on one' time with him, where Elvis bares his soul to them..........I'm sure they are all fantasists

As for the guitar playing.....I don't play any instrument, so I can't say how good he was technically..........however, he looked great to me in the 68 special..........oh yeh baby......lol
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: John Wilkinsons Elvis book

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    I was just wondering who Else has read this book here? I finished reading it about a week or so ago. I have mixed feelings about the book, although it doesn't trash Elvis there are some elements in the book that bug me.

I really don't like it when people say Elvis was a bad guitar player and that he only knew three chords. I play guitar and i learnt to play 12 bar blues from watching Elvis on the 68 comeback and he knew a lot mroe than three chords and he knew more than the standard chords strutcures for chords like c,d, g,. Now I'm not saying Elvis was a great guitarist like James Burton but people seem to forget that the initial sound that everyone raves about on his Sun recordings is Scotty lead guitar, Bills bass work and Elvis' rhythm guitar.

Just wondering what others think.
    I hate it to when people act like Elvis couldnt play the guitar. I know Elvis joked about only knowing 3 chords but he knew more than that.

I loved in the 68 special just watching him play the guitar. My favorite is "Baby what do you want me to do." I could listen to that all day when he is playing the beginning of the song going up and down the frets. "Tiger man" might be my next favorite.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy