Thread: The Complete Elvis Presley Masters

The Complete Elvis Presley Masters

I cant help but feel slightly let down by the set as a whole, i guess the intial price put many of us off, plus as we get the Legacy releases in great sound and packaging i kinda feel i dont need the box anymore.
    Do u all believe this is a good a set as a whole package as the BEATLES STEREO BOX SET released slightly before the King ?

Re: The Complete Elvis Presley Masters

Well it depents on what you already got and from which year it comes the remaster, and if you're interested in Elvis music as a whole, or just about certain moments in his career.

I think the box its a winner and does justice to Elvis recording carreer as it never ever before. Now we have to understand that elvis recording career as a whole is five times the amount of material recorded by the beatles, so yes, the box is huge and turns out to be way expencive, and of course not all of what Elvis recorded is great, but being a "Complete" set, bad stuff like some of the soundtracks had to be there. But its all put together in the right context, the book and the box art is perfect to me for that purpouse.

Maybe a "Selected Works" version of it, containing 15 out of 30 CD's, reducing costs, with just the good stuff, could be the "Definitive Set" at one point in the future, but the "COmplete Masters" set it was something that historically had to be done to preserve and reevaluate Elvis musical/recorded legacy (the whole bunch I mean).

I gues it is just not a product for every fan, not even aimed for the die hard fans, but it was mostly thinked as a tribute-statement about Elvis remarkable recording carreer, kind of an academic enciclopedic job where EVERYTHING IS FINALLY PUT IN ITS RIGHT PLACE AND IN THE RIGHT WAY/SOUND, as Elvis catalogue for many decades was a total mess.

I wouldnīt recomend the get the set for Elvis starters. If I'm asked how to start an Elvis musical collection right now, I would rather point at: Elvis '75, then if there is more interest: each and everyone of the double CD/double album Legacy releases to date and to come, and the Legacy Box set: Young Man With the Big Beat.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 02-08-2012 at 01:15 PM.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Well it depents on what you already got and from which year it comes the remaster, and if you're interested in Elvis music as a whole, or just about certain moments in his career.

I think the box its a winner and does justice to Elvis recording carreer as it never ever before. Now we have to understand that elvis recording career as a whole is five times the amount of material recorded by the beatles, so yes, the box is huge and turns out to be way expencive, and of course not all of what Elvis recorded is great, but being a "Complete" set, bad stuff like some of the soundtracks had to be there. But its all put together in the right context, the book and the box art is perfect to me for that purpouse.

Maybe a "Selected Works" version of it, containing 15 out of 30 CD's, reducing costs, with just the good stuff, could be the "Definitive Set" at one point in the future, but the "COmplete Masters" set it was something that historically had to be done to preserve and reevaluate Elvis musical/recorded legacy (the whole bunch I mean).

I gues it is just not a product for every fan, not even aimed for the die hard fans, but it was mostly thinked as a tribute-statement about Elvis remarkable recording carreer, kind of an academic enciclopedic job where EVERYTHING IS FINALLY PUT IN ITS RIGHT PLACE AND IN THE RIGHT WAY/SOUND, as Elvis catalogue for many decades was a total mess.

I wouldnīt recomend the get the set for Elvis starters. If I'm asked how to start an Elvis musical collection right now, I would rather point at: Elvis '75, then if there is more interest: each and everyone of the double CD/double album Legacy releases to date and to come, and the Legacy Box set: Young Man With the Big Beat.
    Well said my friend!!

There had to be a COMPLETE MASTERS set released, if for no other reason, than to catalog Elvis' entire output during his lifetime. I think this set was really created for the musical historians to be able to put Elvis' entire body of work into its proper context. Yes, obviously collectors also focused on this set, but the sole purpose of THE COMPLETE MASTERS SET was to deliver the entire catalog of work from Elvis' lifetime for historical documentation.

If fans want to have Elvis' entire catalog, they do have the option of purchasing the Franklin Mint version of this set...obviously the fact that it's a bit easier for most people to afford the Franklin Mint set since the cost is broken up into installments is a major factor in the decision of whether to purchase the Sony version or the Franklin Mint version. Plus, the packaging for the FM set is different than the Sony set so that is also something that has to be considered too. But material wise, both sets have the exact same thing in the exact same sound quality (from what people have been saying when comparing these sets)...the only difference is that the FM set has the songs divided up into categories (ballads, movie songs, love songs, 50's, 60's, 70's, etc.) whereas the Sony set has everything in it's historically correct place when it was recorded by Elvis. But still...the FM set does offer fans a bit of an easier way to have the entire Presley catalog.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Certainly not bad advice to give to an Elvis fan just starting out!!

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    Certainly not bad advice to give to an Elvis fan just starting out!!

TCB!
    Mike
    Followed by the '68 Comeback Special 4 Cd Box and the Gospel Box Set: I Believe. Let's not forget about those!!!

A list of essential current cd's to start an Elvis collection from zero right now! that would be a fun thread!

Well said my friend!!

There had to be a COMPLETE MASTERS set released, if for no other reason, than to catalog Elvis' entire output during his lifetime. I think this set was really created for the musical historians to be able to put Elvis' entire body of work into its proper context. Yes, obviously collectors also focused on this set, but the sole purpose of THE COMPLETE MASTERS SET was to deliver the entire catalog of work from Elvis' lifetime for historical documentation.
    Yes, I do think that was the goal for sure. It was really TCB... People critizes Jorgensen a lot, but what he achieved with that box set is, after decades of hard and devoted work, to secure Elvis musical legacy not just in terms of: is it still selling records? but in terms of: this is how future generations, 50 years from now will get to know the full picture, this is the way to go for serious music studies in the future, that's beyond music critics debating about Elvis #30 No.1 hits.

I do anyhow have a few objections about the selections on the alternate and rare bonus CD's. But the masters are, finally, THE masters.

Anyway, I don't own that set, is way to expensive for me, but I do know a guy who owns it, believe me, its beautiful!!!

The mix on Patch It Up its unique! its not the one on Walk A Mile In My Shoes: the essential 70's masters, neither the one in the FTD That's The Way It Is classic albums series. There are a few other unique tracks like that. Some of the soundtracks are so impresive to hear in this remastering work, Roustabout, Speedway, Live a Little Love..., Change of Habit, as they weren't re-released since the old Double Features series (not a great sound then) and never covered by FTD.

I've never got the chance to check out the FM set, guess the remaster/mixes are the same ones as in the Complete Masters set, as in fact this are the definitive masters now, thatīs what we will get on any legacy release for at least 10 years from now or even more.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 02-09-2012 at 01:51 AM.

Well said by all, in fact i also like the idea of a thread discussing the "essential" Elvis cds u would get if u were starting from scratch. This is a great time in Elvis collecting, FTD, LEGACY, the CM SET , we are geting great official stuff now in superb sound and cool packaging too, also a few essential imports have been released recently too, maybe someone could start a thread on the "must have" releases for the newbie .......
    btw, how well did the CM SET really sell ? do we know ...........

Theres no doubting if money was no object we would all just have to own a copy [if we ever played it or not] simply because its the best collection of his for years, and they have had a few trys at getting it right, saying that can we confidently say that this will be the ultimate set to own, will they redo the masters again in 5/10 years time, could it be any better ? or have we got the best set possible ?
    Last edited by dennyelvis; 02-09-2012 at 08:49 AM.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Raised on rock, I believe they only made like a 1,000 of them. I do wonder if they were all sold, maybe Brian knows. I didn't buy one either to expensive and especially since I have every cd or song any way. But I would have liked to have it all in one package.

I’m sure they were only bought by big Elvis fans, not your once in a while fan.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

I would have loved it......but sometimes as much as you want to, you can't justify spending that amount of money.....
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by dennyelvis View Post
    Well said by all, in fact i also like the idea of a thread discussing the "essential" Elvis cds u would get if u were starting from scratch. This is a great time in Elvis collecting, FTD, LEGACY, the CM SET , we are geting great official stuff now in superb sound and cool packaging too, also a few essential imports have been released recently too, maybe someone could start a thread on the "must have" releases for the newbie .......
    btw, how well did the CM SET really sell ? do we know ...........

Theres no doubting if money was no object we would all just have to own a copy [if we ever played it or not] simply because its the best collection of his for years, and they have had a few trys at getting it right, saying that can we confidently say that this will be the ultimate set to own, will they redo the masters again in 5/10 years time, could it be any better ? or have we got the best set possible ?
    According to the reports, the initial series of 1,000 limited edition, numbered sets sold out almost immediately through pre-orders before it was even released.

Supposedly, because of the success of the initial run, Sony was planning on doing a second run of the set exactly the same as the first run, except the new batch wouldn't be individually numbered. I never did hear how many Sony planned to release in the second issue...

TCB!
    Mike

Yes, I do think that was the goal for sure. It was really TCB... People critizes Jorgensen a lot, but what he achieved with that box set is, after decades of hard and devoted work, to secure Elvis musical legacy not just in terms of: is it still selling records? but in terms of: this is how future generations, 50 years from now will get to know the full picture, this is the way to go for serious music studies in the future, that's beyond music critics debating about Elvis #30 No.1 hits.

I do anyhow have a few objections about the selections on the alternate and rare bonus CD's. But the masters are, finally, THE masters.

Anyway, I don't own that set, is way to expensive for me, but I do know a guy who owns it, believe me, its beautiful!!!

The mix on Patch It Up its unique! its not the one on Walk A Mile In My Shoes: the essential 70's masters, neither the one in the FTD That's The Way It Is classic albums series. There are a few other unique tracks like that. Some of the soundtracks are so impresive to hear in this remastering work, Roustabout, Speedway, Live a Little Love..., Change of Habit, as they weren't re-released since the old Double Features series (not a great sound then) and never covered by FTD.

I've never got the chance to check out the FM set, guess the remaster/mixes are the same ones as in the Complete Masters set, as in fact this are the definitive masters now, thatīs what we will get on any legacy release for at least 10 years from now or even more.
    Well, the rarities that were chosen to be released through this set could probably be argued and debated indefinitely...obviously they were chosen as what Ernst thought were the best outtakes to help tell the Elvis Presley story. Honestly, I think the story would have been told just fine if they had just released the masters without any outtakes or rarities, but that's probably also another discussion...

TCB!
    Mike

Well, the rarities that were chosen to be released through this set could probably be argued and debated indefinitely...obviously they were chosen as what Ernst thought were the best outtakes to help tell the Elvis Presley story. Honestly, I think the story would have been told just fine if they had just released the masters without any outtakes or rarities, but that's probably also another discussion...

TCB!
    Mike
    Yes is true, its so subjective that it is almost pointles to argue about it, let's just say it was the producer choice and that's it.

I just think in terms of story telling, more balance between 50's/ early 60's and late 60's and 70's was needed on those bonus CD's

Yes is true, its so subjective that it is almost pointles to argue about it, let's just say it was the producer choice and that's it.

I just think in terms of story telling, more balance between 50's/ early 60's and late 60's and 70's was needed on those bonus CD's
    Can't argue with that my friend, but as I said before, this set would have been just fine if it had only contained the master recordings and that was all. To me, the outtakes really don't make much sense being included...it's certainly a nice addition, but not necessary in my opinion.

TCB!
    Mike