View Poll Results: How Do You Rate 'Elvis In Concert'?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 Out Of 10

    2 8.33%
  • 4 Out Of 10

    2 8.33%
  • 6 Out Of 10

    1 4.17%
  • 8 Out Of 10

    9 37.50%
  • 10 Out Of 10

    10 41.67%
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Elvis In Concert

  1. #1
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993

    Elvis In Concert

    I remember long ago buying Elvis In Concert, it must have been about 1981/82 I was ten or eleven at the time, I was well on the way with my record collection but most of them were compilation albums, mainly Camden releases. The record shops where I lived in a small town were limited and the internet not yet available. I only ever saw records in the Elvis Monthly which I was subscribed to. Imagine my surprise when I went to a town that was 3 times the size of mine with a massive record store with collectables!!! I could barely contain myself as I thumbed through original LP's in cellophane wrappers. I eagerly looked through albums I had never heard of!

    Being a 70's fan and coming across 'Elvis As Recorded In Madison Square Gardens', 'Aloha From Hawaii' and 'That's The Way It Is' were pure heaven to me. I have to admit that back then I was more a style over substance kind of person and the album covers I liked the most were generally the album I would buy. There were rows and rows of Albums, I felt like a kid in a candy store.

    I had two or three albums in my hand already when I cam across 'Elvis In Concert', I just paused, this album was a double, not just a double album, but a double album with four, yes four concert shots!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	displaysmaller.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	53724

    In the mind of a 10 or 11 year old it made sense to me to buy this album because I got more for my money, not only did I get four cool concert shots but I got two albums to listen to as well. As soon as I got home I had a ritual that always followed a purchase, I cleaned the album with my duster, shut the curtains and closed my eyes and listened, firstly came the fans comments and then the opening vamp, it gave me goose bumps. In my minds eye I could see the Elvis that was on the Inside covers where he is wearing the 'American Eagle' Jumpsuit. It didn't occur to me that this was Elvis in the latter stages of his career! Listening to the album back then I was happy to hear any new material and because I hadn't heard 'On Stage' or 'The Memphis Sessions' I was happy in my ignorant bliss.

    I bring this up because I was happily sitting with my iPod on random when I heard the fans comments from this album:-

    "He's The King", "He Will Always be The King No Matter What" and "I've Been To His House Many Times, Touched The Gate and Everything".

    Just hearing these words made way to an explosion of memories from listening to this album! Over the years I had shied away from 'Elvis In Concert' through years of listening to earlier material that packed more punch, also my mind now related the Image of Elvis wearing the 'Mexican Sundial' to this album and those shows in Rapid City & Omaha. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this album, so laid back with my eyes closed and listened start to finish on my iPod. 'Elvis In Concert' isn't perfect by any means, however it isn't as bad as my mind had told me either.

    So give it a spin, you never know, you might like it.

    Here are a couple of wallpapers inspired by 'Elvis In Concert' for those interested.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elvispresleywallpaperam.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	53731

  2. #2

  3. #3
    From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    where Kentucky Rain falls
    Posts
    5,175

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Matt, thank you for sharing your fond memories and cool wallpapers.

    The album really does make a nice listen. The fan comments may be non-essential and could be viewed as filler, but they do help capture the Elvis concert experience. It adds to the buildup that 2001 already instills.

    And not to say I don't like the CBS special and the concerts that comprise it, but the album is definitely better than the special IMO.

    Of course many of us have discussed how we would have done the special differently (its being rush-produced is apparent) as far as what should have been included and wasn't, and vice versa...but I remember playing the album and really loving its final track, And I Love You So. Incidentally I heard that before I heard the studio version from Today and I also heard the album before seeing the special. Anyway, I really thought that was a stellar recording and quite a moving one at that.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

  4. #4
    Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    in the cold Kentucky rain
    Posts
    7,513

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Matt Thanks for the post and Wallpapers.

    The special is a nice listen to imo. It shows an artist who has finally performing and the demons of his life are getting the better end of him yet he still pours his heart out. Sad in a way, but then you just can't help but think he still loved it up there.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977


  5. #5
    TCB Mafia EnigmaticSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Beucha
    Posts
    1,754

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Yes, it could have gotten a better rating.. if some things had been done differently, which Lonnie pointed out.
    Elvis' voice was very good, if you like the quality of a ballad- or classical singer.
    I was only a little Fabian when I bought it.. and I liked the versions of If You Love (Let Me Know), Trying To Get To You, It's Now Or Never.. these gems were/are irreplaceable!
    Nowadays, the same CD is still there, with a lot of scratches - haha!
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

    all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

  6. #6
    With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Empire State
    Posts
    9,609

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    FANTASTIC WALLPAPERS MATT!!!

    I agree wholeheartedly with your synopsis of the EIC album!! EIC was one of the first albums I listened to as a kid when I was initially discovering Elvis...in fact EIC was the only live album that my parents owned, thus it was the only live album I heard for quite a while until I began discovering the other live albums. Some of those live performances remain favorites even to this day...FAIRYTALE, MY WAY and AND I LOVE YOU SO being the 3 main ones.

    Certainly the album has a different feel to it when you only hear the audio versus when you have seen the video. Clearly, listening to just the album doesn't give the listener a true sense of what was truly wrong with Elvis when it was recorded. Yes, you can tell that something is not quite right, but without the video to accompany the audio, the listener really can't grasp how physically exhausted and ill Elvis really is. Sometimes I almost wish I had never seen the video, as now when I listen to the EIC album, I can picture the images from the video in my mind and it really does put a different light on those performances.

    Excellent post Matt...very thought provoking to be sure!!

    TCB!
    Mike


    TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!


  7. #7
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    I like the album-but not the memories the album brings back.
    I got that album as soon as it came out and the thrill of hearing it was tempered by the fact that he had just died.
    Good album thou.
    Work in Progress!

  8. #8
    Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Assen, Netherlands
    Posts
    6,349

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    This was the only live album my father had. He had all 50s and 60s LP's. So the CBS special was something very special for me as a 10 year old kid. I loved the artwork with the foldout images of Elvis in his amazing suits. I thought he was so extremely cool and was always having battles with my sisters that Elvis was bigger than Madonna and Michael Jackson (yes, it was in the mid 80s then lol)
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

    Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom






  9. #9
    Cadillac King Kajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    267

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Elvis vocally at his best. This is definitely one of hi finest works.

  10. #10
    Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Assen, Netherlands
    Posts
    6,349

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    Elvis vocally at his best. This is definitely one of hi finest works.
    Please, this is by far not his finest vocal works. Listen to the Rock 'n Roll songs like Teddy Bear, Jailhouse Rock or Don't Be Cruel. Painful to listen to.

    The only songs that are really sung fantastically are the powerballads and gospels, along with a few slower songs like Early Morning Rain.

    One can only achieve amazing vocals a full show long, when the artist is in good condition. Many images (and footage) from Elvis during this period, and the fact that Elvis died 6 weeks later proof contrary.

    Elvis did deliver something else though, something that's way more difficult than just hitting notes perfectly and that is emotion.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

    Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom






  11. #11
    Coming On Strong
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    85

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    This was a favorite back in the day though I can now reflect on some disappointing performances (mainly the old rockers) mixed with the excellent (the big ballads). It's not all bad as some would have you believe.

  12. #12
    Cadillac King Kajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    267

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Please, this is by far not his finest vocal works. Listen to the Rock 'n Roll songs like Teddy Bear, Jailhouse Rock or Don't Be Cruel. Painful to listen to.

    The only songs that are really sung fantastically are the powerballads and gospels, along with a few slower songs like Early Morning Rain.

    One can only achieve amazing vocals a full show long, when the artist is in good condition. Many images (and footage) from Elvis during this period, and the fact that Elvis died 6 weeks later proof contrary.

    Elvis did deliver something else though, something that's way more difficult than just hitting notes perfectly and that is emotion.
    I woudn't agree with you on this one Albert. Elvis was definitely at his best and sang the songs with so much power and emotion and the songs mentioned above were just "badly" performed because he grew out of them and was really tired of them and bored. but they still weren't painful to listen to. That's just my opinion so you don't have to jump on me like a redneck cowboy.

  13. #13
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    I woudn't agree with you on this one Albert. Elvis was definitely at his best and sang the songs with so much power and emotion and the songs mentioned above were just "badly" performed because he grew out of them and was really tired of them and bored. but they still weren't painful to listen to. That's just my opinion so you don't have to jump on me like a redneck cowboy.
    I have to say I am with Albert on this, I am fond of the album, however Elvis is far from his best in these performances.
    Yes there were glimmers of vocal ability but Elvis sounds breathless and shouts. I'll agree that some fans prefer this period and that is ok, but passion and gusto should not be confused as ability. You only have to watch TTWII and Aloha to see a man with control, diction, presence and an abundance of talent.

  14. #14
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I have to say I am with Albert on this, I am fond of the album, however Elvis is far from his best in these performances.
    Yes there were glimmers of vocal ability but Elvis sounds breathless and shouts. I'll agree that some fans prefer this period and that is ok, but passion and gusto should not be confused as ability. You only have to watch TTWII and Aloha to see a man with control, diction, presence and an abundance of talent.
    Yes his breathing at times sounds labored-his speaking voice weak. Power ballads were done great-but anything with secure vocal control (in which power was not needed) were sung weakly. He was hit and miss....that never happened before.
    Singing is more than power ballads, more than full voice full throttle peak volume, and during this time Elvis was weak on everything except the power ballads and full voice gospel.
    Work in Progress!

  15. #15
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Can we get a 0 out of 10 option for the poll?

    Seriously though, I bought the 8 track when it first came out and only listed to it a handful of times. Just can't listen to it now. Terrible performances, terrible song selections, Elvis was in such bad shape and at this stage I doubt he even cared anymore.

    Unlistenable.

  16. #16
    International Level dennyelvis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sunny UK
    Posts
    649

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Great posts and thoughts Matt, i was a huge vinyl fan myself in the 70s i remember being 15 or so and buying MOODY BLUE LP on holiday when it was released, man i loved that album and must admit i was big into art n design at the time and loved the cover shot they used .........

  17. #17
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Yes his breathing at times sounds labored-his speaking voice weak. Power ballads were done great-but anything with secure vocal control (in which power was not needed) were sung weakly. He was hit and miss....that never happened before.
    Singing is more than power ballads, more than full voice full throttle peak volume, and during this time Elvis was weak on everything except the power ballads and full voice gospel.
    Agreed, the Omaha show is almost unbearable to watch because Elvis is so ill, I sometimes wish these shows were filmed in 1976 to give Elvis 12 month's in which to get better.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    Can we get a 0 out of 10 option for the poll?

    Seriously though, I bought the 8 track when it first came out and only listed to it a handful of times. Just can't listen to it now. Terrible performances, terrible song selections, Elvis was in such bad shape and at this stage I doubt he even cared anymore.

    Unlistenable.
    Although I sometimes agree that these shows were very poor in quality and content, I feel a 0 out of 10 is a bit harsh, Its not as if Elvis isn't trying to give a good performance, rather he is unable at this point despite his best efforts to give a good performance! So I mark the show on the effort Elvis gave given the condition he was in.

  18. #18
    TCB Mafia Joe Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,331

    Re: Elvis In Concert

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Agreed, the Omaha show is almost unbearable to watch because Elvis is so ill, I sometimes wish these shows were filmed in 1976 to give Elvis 12 month's in which to get better.



    Although I sometimes agree that these shows were very poor in quality and content, I feel a 0 out of 10 is a bit harsh, Its not as if Elvis isn't trying to give a good performance, rather he is unable at this point despite his best efforts to give a good performance! So I mark the show on the effort Elvis gave given the condition he was in.
    Well said. Our boy was sick, he shouldn't have been on stage, but he was. He wasn't hiding, despite looking unwell.

Similar Threads

  1. Concert Dates for Elvis Presley in Concert 2012
    By Elvis.com in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 01:48 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 05:33 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2008, 05:08 PM
  4. Elvis In Concert
    By 0349054 in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 12:53 PM
  5. Elvis Presley-In concert. (the new concert tour)
    By manelens in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2006, 04:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •