Thread: FTD life span lived out ?

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

FTD life span lived out ?

How much longer you guys think we have left from Ernst and crew with these fabulous releases.
    I give it around 2 years or so what do you think, are we about out of time ?
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Re: FTD life span lived out ?

There's at least 5 years including vinyl releases which for me are the ace in the pack...

with the rest of the official stuff plus some soundboards to come i give it at least four years
    Old Times they are not forgotten
    Johan

They have many soundboards, so as long as people will buy the soundboards I think it could go on for a considerable time-but the soundboards are repetitive so that may be the limiting factor.
    Work in Progress!

I say four years tops...

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Cadillac King

Well, I understand that there are still a number of soundboards remaining. I will continue to purchase soundboards even if some of the shows are repititive. I would love for him to release any soundboards from the Philadelphia shows in the 70's. I attended all of them. Beyond this, there are still some movies to be considered and hoepfully a couple of projects featuring the 50's. Moreover, who knows what "unavailable" material Ernst may get his hands on in years to come. Wouldn't it be great if Ernst got hold of a complete concert from 1957, or the Memphis concert from 1961, even if the quality was less than perfect?

IM

He has a lot more to release or he knows where to get it.
    TCB,
    See See Rider

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

I hope you all are right, would be nice if they started doing dvds after all the albums and engagements are covered.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

I guess the end is near, but not that near.

In terms of studio material, yes, there's only a few alternates that remain unreleased, but with the classic albums concept, there's still a few miles to go. From Elvis Presley Boulevard and Moody Blue would are still waiting and they should be a success. The Stay Away Joe soundtrack plus the U.S. Male and Too Much Monkey Bussiness sessions would be a sure follow up to the Guitar Man album. A Loving You Vol.2 containing the remaining binaural masters and alternates plus the Just For You EP on binaural and alternate its a posibility. Peace in The Valley, the first gospel sessions are still waiting. And there is still hope that missing session tapes from King Creole might surface. The Tiger Man bootlegs bring us one alternate take from Speedway incluiding studio talk, so maybe there still chance that session tapes from the Speedway soundtrack might be there somewhere, so the Kissin Cousins and the Roustabout ones, as few alternates have appeared in bootlegs or BMG boxsets, but yes, chances are little. No chances for Elvis second album sessions or for the Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel sessions to me. (although oddly we got alternates from Rip It Up and oddly they where not included on Youn Man With The Big Beat). Minimum chances for the sessions tapes of Change of Habit, but we might still see some new stuff released from Live a Little Love a Little and The Trouble With Girls.

Now, there might be a release of the original album called: Elvis, soundtrack from certain NBC TV special, on the classic album series, containing the remaining of studio alternate takes and outtakes, as there's still a bunch. And for sure From Elvis in Memphis and Back In Memphis will be included, containing the remaining of studio sessions, and old alternates that have been released in lesser sound quality prior 2002 without the remastering work we have today in FTD, plus the lost instrumental tracks: Poor Mans Gold, Memory Revival, and Come Out! Come Out! only available in mono sound on bootlegs, and there is chance of a highlight about the Memphis '69 sessions: the original Chips Moman rough mixes with only the Memphis Horns and backing vocals overdubbs, before Jarvis took them to Nashville to add a ton of strings layers.

Recent a bootleg releases show us that On Stage on the classic album series will come in the future, plus there is still the Elvis in Concert '77 album to be worked out, it was not included in The Complete Masters Box set, so an FTD release of the original album in today's remastered sound, plus the undubbed tracks and other stuff from those tours is long awaited. Of course there is the Elvis On Tour, full concerts and remaining rehearsals, definetively coming out this year. And at last, there are at least about 3 more full shows from the August '69 Vegas season.

Add soundboards to the equation, vinyls, books, and some collections meeting lost ends like remaining undubbed 70's masters and lost alternates, and you got at least 5 years of solid releases. I won't worry about a decay, the opposite, I think if Ernt play the cards well, this 5 to 7 years to come would be an exiting swan song.

P.S. Also there is the promise of the Sun Box set, but after the succes of Young Man WIth the Big Beat, I think that would be happening on the Lwgacy label same with the MSG shows.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    I guess the end is near, but not that near.

In terms of studio material, yes, there's only a few alternates that remain unreleased, but with the classic albums concept, there's still a few miles to go. From Elvis Presley Boulevard and Moody Blue would are still waiting and they should be a success. The Stay Away Joe soundtrack plus the U.S. Male and Too Much Monkey Bussiness sessions would be a sure follow up to the Guitar Man album. A Loving You Vol.2 containing the remaining binaural masters and alternates plus the Just For You EP on binaural and alternate its a posibility. Peace in The Valley, the first gospel sessions are still waiting. And there is still hope that missing session tapes from King Creole might surface. The Tiger Man bootlegs bring us one alternate take from Speedway incluiding studio talk, so maybe there still chance that session tapes from the Speedway soundtrack might be there somewhere, so the Kissin Cousins and the Roustabout ones, as few alternates have appeared in bootlegs or BMG boxsets, but yes, chances are little. No chances for Elvis second album sessions or for the Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel sessions to me. (although oddly we got alternates from Rip It Up and oddly they where not included on Youn Man With The Big Beat). Minimum chances for the sessions tapes of Change of Habit, but we might still see some new stuff released from Live a Little Love a Little and The Trouble With Girls.

Now, there might be a release of the original album called: Elvis, soundtrack from certain NBC TV special, on the classic album series, containing the remaining of studio alternate takes and outtakes, as there's still a bunch. And for sure From Elvis in Memphis and Back In Memphis will be included, containing the remaining of studio sessions, and old alternates that have been released in lesser sound quality prior 2002 without the remastering work we have today in FTD, plus the lost instrumental tracks: Poor Mans Gold, Memory Revival, and Come Out! Come Out! only available in mono sound on bootlegs, and there is chance of a highlight about the Memphis '69 sessions: the original Chips Moman rough mixes with only the Memphis Horns and backing vocals overdubbs, before Jarvis took them to Nashville to add a ton of strings layers.

Recent a bootleg releases show us that On Stage on the classic album series will come in the future, plus there is still the Elvis in Concert '77 album to be worked out, it was not included in The Complete Masters Box set, so an FTD release of the original album in today's remastered sound, plus the undubbed tracks and other stuff from those tours is long awaited. Of course there is the Elvis On Tour, full concerts and remaining rehearsals, definetively coming out this year. And at last, there are at least about 3 more full shows from the August '69 Vegas season.

Add soundboards to the equation, vinyls, books, and some collections meeting lost ends like remaining undubbed 70's masters and lost alternates, and you got at least 5 years of solid releases. I won't worry about a decay, the opposite, I think if Ernt play the cards well, this 5 to 7 years to come would be an exiting swan song.

P.S. Also there is the promise of the Sun Box set, but after the succes of Young Man WIth the Big Beat, I think that would be happening on the Lwgacy label same with the MSG shows.
    Well my friend, I think you pretty much covered everything there!!

I agree that there is most likely another decade or so worth of material left to release on the FTD label, so while I am sure that this label will have a finite end, I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Nope, this label and the releases will not stop as long as there are Elvis fans to purchase the cool releases.

Think of it like in the old days, when the fans bought every Elvis record there was, RCA, or imports.

With the material at hand (a lot not yet released, Hawaii 61, soundboards, alternates) and maybe dvd's, which would be a very wise move for FTD, they can go on for a long time.

And let's hope they will!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    Well my friend, I think you pretty much covered everything there!!

I agree that there is most likely another decade or so worth of material left to release on the FTD label, so while I am sure that this label will have a finite end, I don't foresee that happening anytime soon.

TCB!
    Mike
    Yes. I think in terms of material, there's still enough stuff to keep the game going, my only concern is that politics at some point got in the way and for whatever reason Sony decide to close FTD, but as long as the product keeps selling well that won't be happening I hope, and I believe, despite the bad economy times worldwide, the stuff is selling surpisingly good.

I didn't get why FTD decided to rush Promised Land last December, there was enough with He Touched Me, the '74 soundboard, The Christmas Album, Elvis is Back and Guitar Man on vinyl and the Fashion Book, man that was a lot!!! I would rather liked to see Promised Land as the early on the spotlight 2012 release. I kind of wonder why to rush it when what we might like is to prolonge FTD life, on the other hand it would be a tragedy if FTD suddenly is closed before many highly demanded stuff got to be released.

So, to prolonge the game facing the risk of FTD to be closed before we got this and that? Or to shorten its life but make sure all the cans got emptyand delivered?

Yes. I think in terms of material, there's still enough stuff to keep the game going, my only concern is that politics at some point got in the way and for whatever reason Sony decide to close FTD, but as long as the product keeps selling well that won't be happening I hope, and I believe, despite the bad economy times worldwide, the stuff is selling surpisingly good.

I didn't get why FTD decided to rush Promised Land last December, there was enough with He Touched Me, the '74 soundboard, The Christmas Album, Elvis is Back and Guitar Man on vinyl and the Fashion Book, man that was a lot!!! I would rather liked to see Promised Land as the early on the spotlight 2012 release. I kind of wonder why to rush it when what we might like is to prolonge FTD life, on the other hand it would be a tragedy if FTD suddenly is closed before many highly demanded stuff got to be released.

So, to prolonge the game facing the risk of FTD to be closed before we got this and that? Or to shorten its life but make sure all the cans got emptyand delivered?
    That is my one minor quibble with FTD...they seem to release so much stuff at one time, it makes it hard for the fans that want to collect all of the FTD releases. This past batch was a perfect example...PROMISED LAND, WONDERFUL WORLD OF CHRISTMAS plus the ELVIS IS BACK! LP and the 4 DAYS IN '56 book all at one time? There is surely no reason why so much great material has to be released all at once! Spread it out a little so that fans can re-cover financially from buying one batch of new releases before having to purchase more new releases. I know many people will say that the fans can just pick and choose what they want to buy, but if the releases were spread out a little more, more fans wouldn't have to pick and choose which releases to buy because of financial constraints....they would be able to afford to pick them all up as they came out.

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    That is my one minor quibble with FTD...they seem to release so much stuff at one time, it makes it hard for the fans that want to collect all of the FTD releases. This past batch was a perfect example...PROMISED LAND, WONDERFUL WORLD OF CHRISTMAS plus the ELVIS IS BACK! LP and the 4 DAYS IN '56 book all at one time? There is surely no reason why so much great material has to be released all at once! Spread it out a little so that fans can re-cover financially from buying one batch of new releases before having to purchase more new releases. I know many people will say that the fans can just pick and choose what they want to buy, but if the releases were spread out a little more, more fans wouldn't have to pick and choose which releases to buy because of financial constraints....they would be able to afford to pick them all up as they came out.

TCB!
    Mike
    I do agree with you, there is no need to rush it like that, at least for the non rich fan point of view lol. On the other hand, which other act dead or alive has so many releases in such a short period of time (add the Legacy releases to the FTD ones) and actually, despite most fans not being able to get it all, being able to claim all the produc sold pretty well, and in the middle of worldwide financial slump!!! Still the King!!!

I do agree with you, there is no need to rush it like that, at least for the non rich fan point of view lol. On the other hand, which other act dead or alive has so many releases in such a short period of time (add the Legacy releases to the FTD ones) and actually, despite most fans not being able to get it all, being able to claim all the produc sold pretty well, and in the middle of worldwide financial slump!!! Still the King!!!
    Can't argue with you there my friend!!

And I agree that there is no other artist that has now (or will probably ever) have so many released albums after their passing. But still...the same number of releases could be put out each year if that is what RCA/FTD want, but just spread them out a little more. Instead of releasing 3 or 4 things at a time every 3 or 4 months, release 1 or 2 items a month. Still the same number of releases per year, just a little less product coming at fans all at one time.

TCB!
    Mike

agree Mike.........very expensive being an Elvis fan........but soooo good
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    agree Mike.........very expensive being an Elvis fan........but soooo good
    No arguments from me!!

TCB!
    Mike