Thread: pondering the Albert Goldman book

pondering the Albert Goldman book

I never bought this book but my Grandmother saw a copy at a yard sale and bought it for me, knowing how I loved Elvis and having no clue about the book.

I read it, and, as I read, I tore the pages and threw them in various trash cans and I kept the photo pages from the middle.

so, almost 30 years after the book, which claimed many things about Elvis - and there's one claim that I think we can say was untrue.

The Elvis home sex movies, particularly the claim that Elvis makes an appearance in one, unclothed on the bottom sporting an erection and a walking cane dangling from "little Elvis"

because I'm thinking that with all the celeb sex tapes that if that kind of footage of Elvis existed, we would have seen in publically by now. or at least screen captures.

Goldman, to my recall, claimed to have viewed the footage described.

any thoughts?
    _________
    there is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Nina's Elvis blogs: http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/elvis-index/

Re: pondering the Albert Goldman book

There's a lot of truths (somewhere) in the book......and probably not as sensationalised now as it was at the time,......however, Elvis allowing himself to be filmed naked, with an erection.........No Way!!!!!!

There has been many of the 'inner circle' who state that he was shy, and a bit of a prude. Doesn't ring true in the slightest
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

No it doesn't ring true at all. I think he was very self-conscious about his body...and very critical of himself in that way. Remember how he complained about having a skinny neck in some book (course can't remember which one)? There's also a few pictures in which he wears a striped t-shirt when swimming.

Coming On Strong

Well the guys did complain about having to lug Elvis`early version heavy video stuff around in the 60`s when checking into hotels when driving back from LA, so we know he liked to watch his little home movies. So it could have happened, though i doubt he would film himself, but maybe he could have wandered into shot.

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    I never bought this book but my Grandmother saw a copy at a yard sale and bought it for me, knowing how I loved Elvis and having no clue about the book.

I read it, and, as I read, I tore the pages and threw them in various trash cans and I kept the photo pages from the middle.

so, almost 30 years after the book, which claimed many things about Elvis - and there's one claim that I think we can say was untrue.

The Elvis home sex movies, particularly the claim that Elvis makes an appearance in one, unclothed on the bottom sporting an erection and a walking cane dangling from "little Elvis"

because I'm thinking that with all the celeb sex tapes that if that kind of footage of Elvis existed, we would have seen in publically by now. or at least screen captures.

Goldman, to my recall, claimed to have viewed the footage described.

any thoughts?
    Who knows and for that matter, who really cares. It amazes me that of all the dreadful things that were said in this book, this is the one thing that is focused on. I would say if there was such footage it would have been destroyed.
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif

there was probably a lot worse, I don't recall - but it was the claim to having seen the footage that stuck in my mind

I mean, I just don't think that if such footage existed that it would have stayed private, given the volumn of celebrity sex videos out there that are genuine

so I think it show how much Goldman got wrong
    _________

The purpose of the Goldman book was to be sensational and totally negative about anything and everything Elvis did or was suppose to have done.
    It had no balance of any kind-and Goldman was a self professed hater of Rock and Roll who felt he was to "cerebral" for that type music.
    He hated Elvis (my own thoughts on that are that he was green with envy) and Lamar Fike supplied him with enough negative things to make Goldman happy and to set the tone for the book.
    Truth can be told without the sensational tone this book had-start to finish.
    He never acknowledged Elvis's talent-and tried to actually downplay anything Elvis accomplished.
    In light of online sex tapes and clubs-what Elvis may have done is fairly mild comparitive to what the world has today.
    I dislike this book because from start to finish the goal is obvious-smear and defame Elvis.
    Work in Progress!

Goldman was a lying scumbag, wouldn't believe a word he wrote

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

I wouldn't even consider such a thing.

Pure garbage in its truest forum.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Albert Goldman's book was pure lies & trashed Elvis. The only lie he didn't tell was "Elvis had sexual relations with Gladys" That honor/dishonor goes to Dee Stanley..another nutball IMO with no respect for the Dead!
    I'm the King of the Jungle, They call me Tigerman

]

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    The purpose of the Goldman book was to be sensational and totally negative about anything and everything Elvis did or was suppose to have done.
    It had no balance of any kind-and Goldman was a self professed hater of Rock and Roll who felt he was to "cerebral" for that type music.
    He hated Elvis (my own thoughts on that are that he was green with envy) and Lamar Fike supplied him with enough negative things to make Goldman happy and to set the tone for the book.
    Truth can be told without the sensational tone this book had-start to finish.
    He never acknowledged Elvis's talent-and tried to actually downplay anything Elvis accomplished.
    In light of online sex tapes and clubs-what Elvis may have done is fairly mild comparitive to what the world has today.
    I dislike this book because from start to finish the goal is obvious-smear and defame Elvis.
    Amen...my thoughts exactly when I read the book.

TCB Mafia

Goldman put his own negative spin on many facts, and non facts in "writing" this book, and tried to pawn it all off as true. I was given this book as a birthday present when it was first released (hardback) and read the entire thing looking for any acknowledgement of Elvis' talent and contributions to world culture. I found none. If I recall correctly, this book was universally panned, as was the garbage he wrote about John Lennon.

I don't know if anyone remembers the Tom Snyder show (it was the late night show before Letterman hit the scene). Goldman was a guest on his show just after the books release and before he could be interviewed they had to clear out the studio audiance. Says a lot.

Just to be 100% clear - I am a lesbian. and with any people, there's nice ones and jerks in every crowd.

That said, Albert Goldman was a gay man and something of a culture snob; however, he was an Elvis fan at some point - having written rave reviews about Elvis' return to live performance.

I think that his book was a lot about Albert's bitterness that Elvis married Priscilla instead of Albert. Something many female fans can related to.
    _________

interesting...........I didn't realise he was gay.

Much as I adore Elvis.........Priscilla was welcome to him........he wasn't husband material

........now, 'a fling' with him I could have managed..........hahaha
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Me too Deb............me too

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Goldman was a lying scumbag, wouldn't believe a word he wrote
    AMEN RICKB!!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

I don't understand Goldman at all, and I agree with KPM that he was probably just jealous of Elvis...
    I've seen some interviews with Goldman, and again, just wasn't impressed. I haven't read the book, although at times I've been tempted, & if I do, I'll just check it out of the library.

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go