Thread: The "Elvis Is Back" Sessions

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

The "Elvis Is Back" Sessions

THE "ELVIS IS BACK" SESSIONS - Highlights from the 2-CD "Elvis Is Back" FTD Release

DISC ONE - SIDE ONE

1. Such a Night (take 1)
    2. Are You Lonesome Tonight? (takes 1 & 2)
    3. Make Me Know It (take 3)
    4. It's Now Or Never (take 1)
    5. It Feels So Right (take 1)
    6. Thrill Of Your Love (takes 1, 2 & 1 playback)
    7. Stuck on You (take 1)

DISC ONE - SIDE TWO

1. Reconsider Baby (master)
    2. Soldier Boy (take 1)
    3. A Mess Of Blues (take 1)
    4. The Girl Of My Best Friend (takes 2, 4, 5 & 6)
    5. Fame And Fortune (take 2)
    6. Like A Baby (take 1 - false start/breakdown)
    7. Like A Baby (take 2)

DISC TWO - SIDE ONE

1. Dirty, Dirty Feeling (takes 2, 3 & splice of last chord from master take 4)
    2. I Gotta Know (including take 1)
    3. Such A Night (takes 2, 3 & splice takes 4/5)
    4. Fever (take 1)
    5. Are You Lonesome Tonight? (takes 4 false start, 3 work part & splice takes 1/2)
    6. Make Me Know It (takes 9, 10 & 11)
    7. The Girl Next Door (Went A' Walking) (Takes 1, 2 & 3)

DISC TWO - SIDE TWO

1. It's Now Or Never (take 2)
    2. It's Now or Never (takes 3 & 4)
    3. It Feels So Right (takes 4 & 3)
    4. The Girl Of My Best Friend (take 9)
    5. A Mess Of Blues (takes 2 & 3)
    6. Soldier Boy (takes 9 & 10)
    7. Make Me Know It (takes 17 & 18)

Reviews:
    none, please submit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vinyl_the_elvis_is_back_sessions_display.jpg  

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Re: The "Elvis Is Back" Sessions

Fantastic vinyl release and arguably the King's finest studio album – the outtakes are in stunning sound almost as if it was recorded yesterday –– "Fever" is killer but so many great tracks, what a feast for Elvis fans – essential.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060514.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	53204Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060526.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	53205

Short overview here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCiTkkvnMNQ
    Last edited by my boy; 12-29-2011 at 02:55 AM.

As Requested by JungleRoom76 (Mike)

As im writing this review i wanna point out something about this release the amazing mix & Sound! And Also compliments to the FTD team for the stunning Art work job they did!

Such a Night (Take 01) - What a take, I always preffered this version then the used master,what a start for one of elvis greatest albums! Elvis rocks on this!

Are You Lonesome Tonight (Take,1,2) Althought his has 2 false starts, elvis delivers a beautiful version, altough u can tell its not the master and elvis still looking how to sing this u can hear the beautiful emotion!

Make Me Know It (Take 3) - Great Rocking track of elvis, Much like the final master!

It's Now Or Never (Take 1) - Beautiful is all i can really hear. The instrumental is a bit diffrent to the final master ,Which is good! Elvis sings sincere,yet he testing out the vocal notes on where to sing high or low! Altough the ending is not as strong as the master

It Feels So Right (take 1) - Begins off with elvis singing in a higher key then instrumental in my ears,altough the rest is in the right key,always loved this track in tickle me. Elvis vocal is awesome in this this altough as i sayd before it's starting off with elvis voice in a higher key.

Thrill Of Your Love (Take,1,2 & 1 Playback) This song has 2 False starts. The second one is pretty funny as elvis bursts out in laughing.
    then we get a complete take, Elvis voice is in fine voice,Altough i never heard this take before i think u can compare it to the master but with a richer vocal.

Stuck On You (Take 1) Altough i heard this one on the There's Always Me box, I Didnt hear it in this quality before! WOW!
    This take is awesome and i can picture elvis on the frank sinatra show right away swaying his body! I Really prefer this version above the master!

Reconsider Baby (Master) - Whats there to say about this, Elvis in great vocal and an awesome Solo by Late Great Boots Randolph.
    In a much better quality then the complete masters version the mix is perfect u can hear elvis during the solo saying '' one more time'''

Soldier Boy (Take 1) - Great Doowop, number! Elvis is singing this so sincere altough it sounds like he's a bit insecure on some parts where he almost startsto mumble it, But ofcoarse its the first take and he knew it wasnt goin to be the master.

Mess Of Blues (Take 1) - 2 false starts follow before elvis gives a beautiful version, the mix is just fantastic!
    elvis really having fun,although near the end we get a little giggle which i think isnt a bad think since we all love elvis giggle!
    and he forgets that he has to resing the last part and then ends it on a (Literally) High note lol!

The Girls Of My Best Friend (Take 2,4,5,6) - Take 2 sounds really beautiful
    with a beautiful phrasing of the words, sounds diffrent to the final master which is great!
    altough elvis stops it so i guess u could call it a Long false start. Take 4 is a false start to with a faster tempo or as elvis says ''A Better Tempo''
    Take 5 is even faster then take 4 lol.
    Yet elvis delivers a beautiful vocal before stopping it complaining ''Dont speed it up'' with take 6 the song is back on a good speed, elvis in fine vocal!

Fame and Fortune (Take 2) - Is really beautiful,Great vocal.

Like A Baby (Take 1 FS/BD) - we get a false start, and then it starts off with in my ears a messy ending the instruments went through each other,altough i admire Ray Walkers low voice on this!
    The rest of the song is awesome, Elvis still trying out everything. Then elvis stops and says i can't make it.
    Then we get another take now the beginning is fine but after a few lines the instrumentens fall through each other again.
    Nothing really to notice on elvis vocal its awesome! I really starting to like ray walkers low voice on this!
    After the high whoohoow bridge elvis sings I need you so, I need you sooo continueing the rest of the song to great pleasure!

Dirty,Dirty Feeling (Take 2-3 SP) - Always loved this song great fun!. we get a false start again altough i didnt hear the problem really!
    then we get a longer false start while the guitar solo was awesome! To bad both takes where false starts.

I Gotta Know (Master Including Take 1) - As far as take 1 goes its a false start. Elvis goes into the low notes himself.
    Then we get the master which has a awesome mix once again! Ray walker is mixed in to great pleasure of myself.

Such A Night (Take 2,3 4/5 sp) - We get 2 false starts, before launching in to the spliced version.
    Its nicely spliced and the mix is great altough i prefer take 1, which had elvis vocal a bit better then on this one.

Fever (Take 01) what a awesome mix once again! Elvis delivers great vocal,If u close ur eyes u could imagine elvis recording it infront of you.

Are You Lonesome Tonight (Take 4 FS, Take 3 Work Part & Splice Takes 1/2) - We get 2 false starts, before a beautiful yet incomplete take,
    this could be compared to the master with a more richer vocal take if only elvis didnt forget the lyrics and stopped it.
    Then we go over straightly to work part 1 to the talking verses spliced with take 2. Beautiful Yet no complete takes.

Make Me Know It (Take 9,10,11) Take 9 is a false start with only the opening bars.
    Take 10 is another false start. Take 11 is great and u can hear some fingersnapping in the beginning.
    Elvis delivers great vocal to this although the instrumental is a bit less then the final master.

The Girl Next Door (Went A Walking) (Take 1,2,3) We Get a false start and elvis saying ''you guys jumping scottie too much i think'' haha.
    we get 3 false start with elvis laughing on the first 2 . Then we get a false start which is nothing to say about.
    Then we finally get a complete take which is great! Elvis has fun with this song and the mix is awesome
    ,especially charlies backvocal which isnt to mix to loud but not to soft either!. altough the end is messy, before it fades out u can hear elvis say ''Hold it..Hey!

It's Now Or Never (Take 2) - In my ears it a little bit slower then the final master.
    Yet a beautiful vocal by elvis,yet i miss the piano on this. Elvis vocal can be compared to the master altough its a little bit diffrent.

It's Now Or Never (Take 3 & 4) - We Get 3 False starts, which are just messy intro's, Then we get take 4, Like on take 2, elvis is in fine vocal,
    Yet still missing the piano. The guitar is here a little louder then on take 2 where u almost couldnt hear it (Except the opening bar) Great take!

It Feels So Right (takes 4 & 3) - starts with a informal piano instrumental (which sounds like i need your loving everday) noted as take 4.
    before starting with take 3. Take 3 sounds great the mix, elvis voice everything is in the right place, this must be my favourite take of this song so far!

The Girl Of My Best Friend (Take 9) - Sound great!
    Elvis is getting there (To the master that is) If something had happened to the master this could have been easily the alternate master.

A Mess Of Blues (Take 2 & 3) - Back to this blues rock song , Take 2 is a false start with only the opening bars before stopping to call in take 4.
    Take 4 sounds good altough elvis vocal isnt as great as the final master. Elvis misses notes and the song continues while it fades out with elvis cursing

Soldier Boy (takes 9 & 10) - Take 9 Is a false start and only the opening bar. Take 10 is beautiful altough a bit to fast. elvis vocal is nice and clear,the piano & guitar is beautiful mixed.

Make Me Know It (takes 17 & 18) - False start before take 17 starts. Elvis gets messed up after a few lines and then we are on take 18.
    Great Vocal & also the mix is great on it. This can be compared to the final master,
    altough elvis voice on this one sounds a little rougher in great addition to the song!

All i can say is that im very happy to call this my first FTD Vinyl! This has so many great takes on it, there is lots of things for people to like. The sound is outstanding great! And all i can say is ELVIS IS BACK
    This is also my first review.
    Last edited by ThreeCornPatches; 03-02-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS_ View Post
    Thanks for the review. Makes me wanna order it right now! but I just need to be patient..grrrr!!!

Would you say these recording sessions that took place for the Post Army Album and Singles was one of his best vocal performances in his recording career?
    a definetly yes!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	letter.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	54158 Here is the letter about It's Now Or Never dated June 13 1960

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeCornPatches View Post
    As Requested by JungleRoom76 (Mike)

As im writing this review i wanna point out something about this release the amazing mix & Sound! And Also compliments to the FTD team for the stunning Art work job they did!

Such a Night (Take 01) - What a take, I always preffered this version then the used master,what a start for one of elvis greatest albums! Elvis rocks on this!

Are You Lonesome Tonight (Take,1,2) Althought his has 2 false starts, elvis delivers a beautiful version, altough u can tell its not the master and elvis still looking how to sing this u can hear the beautiful emotion!

Make Me Know It (Take 3) - Great Rocking track of elvis, Much like the final master!

It's Now Or Never (Take 1) - Beautiful is all i can really hear. The instrumental is a bit diffrent to the final master ,Which is good! Elvis sings sincere,yet he testing out the vocal notes on where to sing high or low! Altough the ending is not as strong as the master

It Feels So Right (take 1) - Begins off with elvis singing in a higher key then instrumental in my ears,altough the rest is in the right key,always loved this track in tickle me. Elvis vocal is awesome in this this altough as i sayd before it's starting off with elvis voice in a higher key.

Thrill Of Your Love (Take,1,2 & 1 Playback) This song has 2 False starts. The second one is pretty funny as elvis bursts out in laughing.
    then we get a complete take, Elvis voice is in fine voice,Altough i never heard this take before i think u can compare it to the master but with a richer vocal.

Stuck On You (Take 1) Altough i heard this one on the There's Always Me box, I Didnt hear it in this quality before! WOW!
    This take is awesome and i can picture elvis on the frank sinatra show right away swaying his body! I Really prefer this version above the master!

Reconsider Baby (Master) - Whats there to say about this, Elvis in great vocal and an awesome Solo by Late Great Boots Randolph.
    In a much better quality then the complete masters version the mix is perfect u can hear elvis during the solo saying '' one more time'''

Soldier Boy (Take 1) - Great Doowop, number! Elvis is singing this so sincere altough it sounds like he's a bit insecure on some parts where he almost startsto mumble it, But ofcoarse its the first take and he knew it wasnt goin to be the master.

Mess Of Blues (Take 1) - 2 false starts follow before elvis gives a beautiful version, the mix is just fantastic!
    elvis really having fun,although near the end we get a little giggle which i think isnt a bad think since we all love elvis giggle!
    and he forgets that he has to resing the last part and then ends it on a (Literally) High note lol!

The Girls Of My Best Friend (Take 2,4,5,6) - Take 2 sounds really beautiful
    with a beautiful phrasing of the words, sounds diffrent to the final master which is great!
    altough elvis stops it so i guess u could call it a Long false start. Take 4 is a false start to with a faster tempo or as elvis says ''A Better Tempo''
    Take 5 is even faster then take 4 lol.
    Yet elvis delivers a beautiful vocal before stopping it complaining ''Dont speed it up'' with take 6 the song is back on a good speed, elvis in fine vocal!

Fame and Fortune (Take 2) - Is really beautiful,Great vocal.

Like A Baby (Take 1 FS/BD) - we get a false start, and then it starts off with in my ears a messy ending the instruments went through each other,altough i admire Ray Walkers low voice on this!
    The rest of the song is awesome, Elvis still trying out everything. Then elvis stops and says i can't make it.
    Then we get another take now the beginning is fine but after a few lines the instrumentens fall through each other again.
    Nothing really to notice on elvis vocal its awesome! I really starting to like ray walkers low voice on this!
    After the high whoohoow bridge elvis sings I need you so, I need you sooo continueing the rest of the song to great pleasure!

Dirty,Dirty Feeling (Take 2-3 SP) - Always loved this song great fun!. we get a false start again altough i didnt hear the problem really!
    then we get a longer false start while the guitar solo was awesome! To bad both takes where false starts.

I Gotta Know (Master Including Take 1) - As far as take 1 goes its a false start. Elvis goes into the low notes himself.
    Then we get the master which has a awesome mix once again! Ray walker is mixed in to great pleasure of myself.

Such A Night (Take 2,3 4/5 sp) - We get 2 false starts, before launching in to the spliced version.
    Its nicely spliced and the mix is great altough i prefer take 1, which had elvis vocal a bit better then on this one.

Fever (Take 01) what a awesome mix once again! Elvis delivers great vocal,If u close ur eyes u could imagine elvis recording it infront of you.

Are You Lonesome Tonight (Take 4 FS, Take 3 Work Part & Splice Takes 1/2) - We get 2 false starts, before a beautiful yet incomplete take,
    this could be compared to the master with a more richer vocal take if only elvis didnt forget the lyrics and stopped it.
    Then we go over straightly to work part 1 to the talking verses spliced with take 2. Beautiful Yet no complete takes.

Make Me Know It (Take 9,10,11) Take 9 is a false start with only the opening bars.
    Take 10 is another false start. Take 11 is great and u can hear some fingersnapping in the beginning.
    Elvis delivers great vocal to this although the instrumental is a bit less then the final master.

The Girl Next Door (Went A Walking) (Take 1,2,3) We Get a false start and elvis saying ''you guys jumping scottie too much i think'' haha.
    we get 3 false start with elvis laughing on the first 2 . Then we get a false start which is nothing to say about.
    Then we finally get a complete take which is great! Elvis has fun with this song and the mix is awesome
    ,especially charlies backvocal which isnt to mix to loud but not to soft either!. altough the end is messy, before it fades out u can hear elvis say ''Hold it..Hey!

It's Now Or Never (Take 2) - In my ears it a little bit slower then the final master.
    Yet a beautiful vocal by elvis,yet i miss the piano on this. Elvis vocal can be compared to the master altough its a little bit diffrent.

It's Now Or Never (Take 3 & 4) - We Get 3 False starts, which are just messy intro's, Then we get take 4, Like on take 2, elvis is in fine vocal,
    Yet still missing the piano. The guitar is here a little louder then on take 2 where u almost couldnt hear it (Except the opening bar) Great take!

It Feels So Right (takes 4 & 3) - starts with a informal piano instrumental (which sounds like i need your loving everday) noted as take 4.
    before starting with take 3. Take 3 sounds great the mix, elvis voice everything is in the right place, this must be my favourite take of this song so far!

The Girl Of My Best Friend (Take 9) - Sound great!
    Elvis is getting there (To the master that is) If something had happened to the master this could have been easily the alternate master.

A Mess Of Blues (Take 2 & 3) - Back to this blues rock song , Take 2 is a false start with only the opening bars before stopping to call in take 4.
    Take 4 sounds good altough elvis vocal isnt as great as the final master. Elvis misses notes and the song continues while it fades out with elvis cursing

Soldier Boy (takes 9 & 10) - Take 9 Is a false start and only the opening bar. Take 10 is beautiful altough a bit to fast. elvis vocal is nice and clear,the piano & guitar is beautiful mixed.

Make Me Know It (takes 17 & 18) - False start before take 17 starts. Elvis gets messed up after a few lines and then we are on take 18.
    Great Vocal & also the mix is great on it. This can be compared to the final master,
    altough elvis voice on this one sounds a little rougher in great addition to the song!

All i can say is that im very happy to call this my first FTD Vinyl! This has so many great takes on it, there is lots of things for people to like. The sound is outstanding great! And all i can say is ELVIS IS BACK
    This is also my first review.
    Loved the review and yes, what a fantastic vinyl release...