Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Billboard Magazine Downgrades Elvis

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Re: Billboard Magazine Downgrades Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Quinn View Post
    I am 67 years old and spend most of my day defending Elvis through e-mails, voting in polls and furthering his legacy. I have been doing this since I was 16. You will find articles from me in 'Elvis Monthly' dating back to the early 60's. Everybody is different but that is me.

Brian
    That’s great Brian! I wish every fan was as dedicated as you. You’re always posting great articles and it is appreciated.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

you are a credit to his memory Brian.........
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

I am 67 years old and spend most of my day defending Elvis through e-mails, voting in polls and furthering his legacy. I have been doing this since I was 16. You will find articles from me in 'Elvis Monthly' dating back to the early 60's. Everybody is different but that is me.

Brian
    ...and as an Elvis fan, I appreciate every single one of those years you have spent defending Elvis and helping to ensure his legacy is kept accurate for future generations to learn, understand and appreciate!!!

THANK YOU BRIAN!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Brian
    Thats wonderful, no one can accuse you of not doing your share and more for the legacy of EP-
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks. It really is a pleasure for me to do what I do.

TCB.

Brian

Just received this from Elvis Collectors Club.

This is a special update as I have been very busy for the past week on a matter that I consider of great importance and that is Billboard in the United States have now removed a total of 11 of Elvis' number on hits from their 'composite' record chart - the list of who has the most number one hits - I have thought about this for sometime since the news came out searching for fact and truth and making sure the article I wanted to wrote was not one of bias from an Elvis' fans point of view.

The time I have taken has been good as I have come up with vital information no one else had thought of that gives proof that Billboard have indeed changed the rules and in doing so reduced Elvis' US number one hits down to 7.

Critically I remembered that in 2008 Billboard removed one number one hit from Elvis' tally when in April of that year they ruled Elvis' famous double sided number one hit Hound Dog / Don't Be Cruel would hence forth be counted as one number one only.

This allowed them to announce that Mariah Carey had surpassed Elvis Presley as the solo artist with the most No. 1 singles on Billboard's U.S Hot 100 Chart.

Now we find Billboard have gone further and removed another 10 number ones [Not the 11 am other websites and fan clubs have claimed, as one had already been removed.]

It is in this 2008 move though that I have been able to demonstrate proof that they have changed the rules.

Especially when we had EPE this past week put out a news release to fan clubs stating that stated;

'So Billboard is in no way changing their system to reflect less number ones for Elvis'.

I have provided the proof and hopefully now they can get Billboard to be more responsible and correct this and reinstate Elvis back to where he belongs as [depending on the double sided hit issue] the artist with the most number one hits.

You can read my comprehensive article and send feedback here : Billboard Change Rules and Cheats Elvis of Ten [10] more No. 1 Hits
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Just received this from Elvis Collectors Club.

This is a special update as I have been very busy for the past week on a matter that I consider of great importance and that is Billboard in the United States have now removed a total of 11 of Elvis' number on hits from their 'composite' record chart - the list of who has the most number one hits - I have thought about this for sometime since the news came out searching for fact and truth and making sure the article I wanted to wrote was not one of bias from an Elvis' fans point of view.

The time I have taken has been good as I have come up with vital information no one else had thought of that gives proof that Billboard have indeed changed the rules and in doing so reduced Elvis' US number one hits down to 7.

Critically I remembered that in 2008 Billboard removed one number one hit from Elvis' tally when in April of that year they ruled Elvis' famous double sided number one hit Hound Dog / Don't Be Cruel would hence forth be counted as one number one only.

This allowed them to announce that Mariah Carey had surpassed Elvis Presley as the solo artist with the most No. 1 singles on Billboard's U.S Hot 100 Chart.

Now we find Billboard have gone further and removed another 10 number ones [Not the 11 am other websites and fan clubs have claimed, as one had already been removed.]

It is in this 2008 move though that I have been able to demonstrate proof that they have changed the rules.

Especially when we had EPE this past week put out a news release to fan clubs stating that stated;

'So Billboard is in no way changing their system to reflect less number ones for Elvis'.

I have provided the proof and hopefully now they can get Billboard to be more responsible and correct this and reinstate Elvis back to where he belongs as [depending on the double sided hit issue] the artist with the most number one hits.

You can read my comprehensive article and send feedback here : Billboard Change Rules and Cheats Elvis of Ten [10] more No. 1 Hits
    It is obvious to me that the rules were changed or at least suddenly held to the letter of the law...but knowing this does not seem to help the cause of getting Billboard to somehow acknowledge their change or to make sure in someway Elvis and his accomplishments are fully shown.
    I have e-mailed BB a couple times and no response...in effect they are ignoring the complaints.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia

Sony have queried Billboard about their decision but they refuse to budge.

Brian

TCB Mafia

Following multiple posts by me(and others)on Billboard's Facebook Page they have printed the following:

Billboard wrote: "Brian, we hope this explanation helps clarify. Thank you for your feedback and let us know if you have additional questions based on the below. The chart statistics referenced in a recent Rihanna story (http://www.billboard.com/#/column/ch...05476352.story) were based on the Billboard Hot 100 chart which launched in 1958. The Hot 100 was the first chart of its kind to rank songs based on a combination of juke box plays, airplay and sales. Prior to the Hot 100, Billboard printed various pop charts based either on disc jockey reports/airplay, sales or juke box plays. This includes the Top 100, which started in late 1955 as a limited hybrid chat and morphed back into a sales-based chart in 1957. Elvis’s No. 1s on those pre-1958 charts have been counted by some sources in conjunction with the Hot 100 when considered among No. 1 songs in the supposed rock and roll era (1955 to present), which is where the confusion lies. As is the fact that some sources equally count a pre-Hot 100 No. 1 if it topped either of the Hot 100’s predecessors (Top 100, Best-Sellers, Juke Box, Disc Jockey). As is the case with Elvis’ “I Want You I Need You I Love You” which topped the Best-Sellers chart, but not the Top 100 in 1956.

So if we decide to count all other pre-Hot 100 charts when attributing No. 1s, why stop at 1955 when charts like Best-Sellers were around since the 1940s? Why not count Bing Crosby’s 36 No. 1 songs and 317 chart hits since that time on all of those same charts? It seems like we should based on the Elvis defense.

In no way is Billboard diminishing Elvis’ chart achievements. In fact, we specifically reference Elvis in the above story, mentioning his No. 1 total prior to the Hot 100:

Among the seven acts to tally at least 11 leaders, only two acts reached the milestone more quickly: the Beatles, in a mere, Beatlemania-fueled, one year, 11 months and one week between "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (Feb. 1, 1964) and "We Can Work It Out" (Jan. 8, 1966); and, the Supremes, who needed only four years, three months and one week between "Where Did Our Love Go" (Aug. 22, 1964) and "Love Child" (Nov. 30, 1968). (Prior to the Hot 100's Aug. 4, 1958, inception and after, Elvis Presley racked 11 No. 1s on various Billboard pop charts over a rapid-fire span of three years, three months and three weeks).

For the purpose of the Rihanna story, we were solely highlighting feats on the Hot 100, as we have often done in the past and as we did in 2008 to honor the 50-year history of the chart. The Hot 100 has long been our flagship singles ranking and we try to focus on records achieved on that chart separate from what may have occurred on any other charts that have come before or after it, without losing sight of those notable non-Hot 100 records."

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Quinn; 11-29-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Following multiple posts by me(and others)on Billboard's Facebook Page they have printed the following:

Billboard wrote: "Brian, we hope this explanation helps clarify. Thank you for your feedback and let us know if you have additional questions based on the below. The chart statistics referenced in a recent Rihanna story (http://www.billboard.com/#/column/ch...05476352.story) were based on the Billboard Hot 100 chart which launched in 1958. The Hot 100 was the first chart of its kind to rank songs based on a combination of juke box plays, airplay and sales. Prior to the Hot 100, Billboard printed various pop charts based either on disc jockey reports/airplay, sales or juke box plays. This includes the Top 100, which started in late 1955 as a limited hybrid chat and morphed back into a sales-based chart in 1957. Elvis’s No. 1s on those pre-1958 charts have been counted by some sources in conjunction with the Hot 100 when considered among No. 1 songs in the supposed rock and roll era (1955 to present), which is where the confusion lies. As is the fact that some sources equally count a pre-Hot 100 No. 1 if it topped either of the Hot 100’s predecessors (Top 100, Best-Sellers, Juke Box, Disc Jockey). As is the case with Elvis’ “I Want You I Need You I Love You” which topped the Best-Sellers chart, but not the Top 100 in 1956.

So if we decide to count all other pre-Hot 100 charts when attributing No. 1s, why stop at 1955 when charts like Best-Sellers were around since the 1940s? Why not count Bing Crosby’s 36 No. 1 songs and 317 chart hits since that time on all of those same charts? It seems like we should based on the Elvis defense.

In no way is Billboard diminishing Elvis’ chart achievements. In fact, we specifically reference Elvis in the above story, mentioning his No. 1 total prior to the Hot 100:

Among the seven acts to tally at least 11 leaders, only two acts reached the milestone more quickly: the Beatles, in a mere, Beatlemania-fueled, one year, 11 months and one week between "I Want to Hold Your Hand" (Feb. 1, 1964) and "We Can Work It Out" (Jan. 8, 1966); and, the Supremes, who needed only four years, three months and one week between "Where Did Our Love Go" (Aug. 22, 1964) and "Love Child" (Nov. 30, 1968). (Prior to the Hot 100's Aug. 4, 1958, inception and after, Elvis Presley racked 11 No. 1s on various Billboard pop charts over a rapid-fire span of three years, three months and three weeks).

For the purpose of the Rihanna story, we were solely highlighting feats on the Hot 100, as we have often done in the past and as we did in 2008 to honor the 50-year history of the chart. The Hot 100 has long been our flagship singles ranking and we try to focus on records achieved on that chart separate from what may have occurred on any other charts that have come before or after it, without losing sight of those notable non-Hot 100 records."

Brian
    They mix appples and oranges Bing Crosby is not of the Rock and Roll era-his list of #1s is impressive but sales for #1s were far less impressive in the late 20s into the late 40s.....and Bing did not sing rock.
    Elvis on the other hand sold the rock era and had hits from the start of this era....his accomplishments no matter which BB list are hugely relevant to that era. They cloud the complaints with a side issue.
    Work in Progress!

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

It sounds like a bunch of bs to me...trying to do some covering up.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234