Thread: Elvis On Tour Dvd's

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    Since my old VHS has been watched too many times, and the VCD version that I have isn't that great, I was looking for a DVD version of "Elvis On Tour".

I found these versions:

I'm looking for the original widescreen version. Does anyone know more about these current releases? They all seem to be pressed DVD's (no DVD-R)
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

If i'm informed correctly than the last one on your list is the best, that one is taken from the laserdisc release and has the best quality in sound and picture, you should buy that one, the rest is taken from 'old' vhs tapes.
    Hopes that this helps and if you can get 2 copies...than buy one for me can't find this dvd anywere, yes on e-bay but i don't have a creditcard..so that one isn't a option for me, i have to pay with cash..so if you can find it..please help me than..

I'll keep an eye out for that one

And does anyone know this one:

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    I'd like to get one myself, but I've been kind of holding off in hopes that any day they're going to announce the EOT SE. I shouldn't be holding my breath.

But aren't they all very well made DVD-Rs (which wouldn't stop me from buying one)? What are their countries of origin, specifically that third one which Patrick recommends?
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

No, a couple of them are pressed DVD's (like any other that you'd buy in a shop). From what I've heard another one is a fabric made DVD-R, while one is a homemade DVD-R.

The pressed DVD's (along with the highquality covers) are from the widescreen Laserdisc version. There are also fullscreen versions circulating. I have a VCD version of such a fullscreen version. The quality is quite good, but you can clearly see that they've used the middle screen on fragments when there used to be the 3-screens moments.

But I forget which ones are the fullscreen, pressed DVD's with Laserdisc as the source :bash:

Albert,

I've got this one in my collection.............

This one is a widescreen transfer from Laserdisc, I was pleased to have picked this one up.

However, although the picture disc has been professionally done, the disc does behave like a DVD recordable in my stand alone machine (picture search problems my machine has with DVDr discs).

Fortunately, it is fully chapterised so the picture searching isn't really necessary.

I also have the VCD you mentioned.

'What, honey ? ..... one scarf for the balcony ?! ........... OK ........... gimme a baseball ! ............ there's no way unless you put a rock in it'.

(Las Vegas - 7th December 1975)

Cadillac King
    I have that last one ..and it does not always play ok ...the sister compilation " Lost Performances" is a complete disaster - I got 2 copies and both turned out to be duds!

I am planing on having a lottery to give away my personal DVD copies of EOT and the Alt Aloha ( done from a Laser Disc as an experiment)which plays only ONE chapter at a time -in perfect quality though !

The person who can best justify for wanting such a disc can post a reply -and who knows maybe I will send it to you !

jb

TCB Mafia
    I have this one too -

Its very good quality, though not DVD quality obviously. I have had no problems with it at all. Plays all the way through or by chapter.

Sound is about the same...good, but not great. Certainly better than the VHS versions.

I also have a VCD 2 disc version where the sound is slightly better. It's an official release from asia somewhere. But as you can't go straight to a particular track i pefer to play the DVD.

I would recommend it if you can find one
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies... Now I know for which one I need to hunt

By the way: How come you hear an opening theme (other than the 2001 theme) on On Tour? You know, the piece where Elvis waits backstage, and you see him waiting in splitscreen in various suits. During that segment there's an unknown (for me) opening theme. But on all shows recorded for On Tour, you hear the normal 2001 theme.

Originally posted by NightRider@May 5 2004, 06:26 PM
    I have this one too -
    I've bought this one on DVD and received it in perfect (sealed condition). In fact, I'm watching it right now. Of course the quality isn't dvd-quality, but it's way better than the vhs and vcd that I own. And the chapter(song)index is great

Here's the Ebaylink with more copies of this title: Ebay

Here's a screenshot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen.jpg  

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Albert, I've never heard what the story was there, but I believe a copyright issue led to that alternate tune being used for EOT...which you probably already assumed.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Roustabouts
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    By the way: How come you hear an opening theme (other than the 2001 theme) on On Tour? You know, the piece where Elvis waits backstage, and you see him waiting in splitscreen in various suits. During that segment there's an unknown (for me) opening theme. But on all shows recorded for On Tour, you hear the normal 2001 theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Albert, I've never heard what the story was there, but I believe a copyright issue led to that alternate tune being used for EOT...which you probably already assumed.
    It does suggest a copyright issue as to why an alternate type '2001' theme is overdubbed onto Elvis On Tour. I wonder if this applied to film, rather than TV, as the same piece of music is overdubbed onto Elvis waiting backstage at Rapid City 21/6/77 in 1981's 'This is Elvis'.
    The TV versions of 'Elvis in Concert' (1977) & 'Alternate Aloha' 'Aloha from Hawaii' (1973) all have the proper opening theme.
    "Knock...and the door shall be opened. Seek...and you shall find."

Thanks EAP, I forgot about the Elvis In Concert segment.

I still find it weird, since the use of classical music is free of royalties. Or is Also Sprach Zarathustra a modern tune?

Roustabouts
    Albert - I found this information on the net which gives a bit of background as to how the piece of music 'Also sprach Zarathustra' came to be composed:

Also sprach Zarathustra (Thus Spake Zarathustra) is a book started in 1885 by German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, that significantly influenced the modern world. The book was originally written as three separate volumes over a period of several years. Later, Nietzsche decided to write another three volumes but only managed one bringing the total number of volumes to four. After Nietzsche's death, it was printed as a single volume.

The book chronicles the wanderings and teachings of a philosopher, self-named Zarathustra after the founder of Zoroastrianism in ancient Persia. The book uses a poetic, fictional form, often satirizing the New Testament, to explore many of Nietzsche's ideas.

The final two unwritten volumes of the book were planned to depict Zarathustra's missionary work and his eventual death.

Also sprach Zarathustra is also the title of a symphonic poem by Richard Strauss, composed in 1896 and inspired by the book. It is best known for its use in Stanley Kubrick's 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey. The opening "Dawn" section is used three times, most famously in the opening title sequence.

If anyone does know more about why the original 2001 is not used in EOT & This is Elvis, please do share

It's such a dramatic piece of music and was an absolutely befitting opener to The King's entrance. It must have been amazing to see Elvis in concert and experience it for real - Elvis certainly new how to build an atmosphere! My favourite version of 2001 is from the 'Alternate Aloha' January 12th 1973 - the strings in the orchestra and the screams from the audience really add to the excitement.
    "Knock...and the door shall be opened. Seek...and you shall find."

Mad Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    How come you hear an opening theme (other than the 2001 theme) on On Tour? You know, the piece where Elvis waits backstage, and you see him waiting in splitscreen in various suits. During that segment there's an unknown (for me) opening theme. But on all shows recorded for On Tour, you hear the normal 2001 theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    Albert, I've never heard what the story was there, but I believe a copyright issue led to that alternate tune being used for EOT...
    Quote Originally Posted by EAP_2005
    It does suggest a copyright issue as to why an alternate type '2001' theme is overdubbed onto Elvis On Tour. I wonder if this applied to film, rather than TV, as the same piece of music is overdubbed onto Elvis waiting backstage at Rapid City 21/6/77 in 1981's 'This is Elvis'.
    The TV versions of 'Elvis in Concert' (1977) & 'Alternate Aloha' 'Aloha from Hawaii' (1973) all have the proper opening theme.
    I was going to make a new post asking this exact question, but finally found this existing thread so I thought I'd comment here even though it's an old one. When I first saw Elvis On Tour, I thought this alternate song was the actual opening intro for that tour -- until I began to read and hear otherwise.

I can't see how it could be a copyright issue, though, since the song is considered Public Domain. Another theory is that they did not want to do a free advertisement for another movie -- but both 2001 and Elvis On Tour were MGM, so I can't see how the studio would have minded.

It may have been an issue of time. I think the alternate song is a bit shorter (and perhaps less intrusive to the backstage dialgoue) than 2001. That is just speculation, though. They could have edited the real song or certainly lowered its volume.

Other questions include who recorded this song? Is it Joe Guercio and his orchestra? Someone else? Was Elvis surprised to hear it when he saw the film? Could it be "stock" music? If so, when was it actually recorded?

As for its use in "This Is Elvis," Andrew Solt, who produced "This Is Elvis," was also listed in the credits of "Elvis On Tour." Perhaps he remembered its use in "Elvis On Tour" and preferred this song over "Also Sprach Zarathustra" for some reason? Again, only speculation.

On a similar note, the version of "Aloha From Hawaii" that was shown on TV at various times here in the US in the 80s (and maybe 90s as well) cut the "Also Sprach Zarathustra" intro completely, picking up with Ronnie's drum solo instead. It was the same way on the video release at the time.

It wasn't until "The Alternate Aloha" video that I actually got to see "Also Sprach Zarathustra" on an official Elvis video release (was a bit disappointed that the cameras were at fade-down mode, though). Not long after, it seems it was added back to the "Aloha from Hawaii" footage, as it began showing up on VH-1's airings and on subsequent video editions.

Albert,

I can't see your little photo's of the DVD's you are talking about. I click show picture but nothing happens. Anyway I hope you get what you are looking for.

All The Best,

Tommy

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...