Thread: Forty Eight Hours To Memphis

Forty Eight Hours To Memphis

FTD just released another live show, this time on 7(!). It is the Richmond gig from March 18, 1974.

Link To Original Article

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Re: Forty Eight Hours To Memphis

Anyone here received their copy of 48 HOURS TO MEMPHIS yet?? If so, we would welcome reviews from our members in our 48 HOURS TO MEMPHIS thread in the FTD section: http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread....urs-To-Memphis

PLEASE NOTE: the thread in the FTD section is only for full length reviews of the new CD. Regular discussions about the CD can be held right here in this thread!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    Anyone here received their copy of 48 HOURS TO MEMPHIS yet?? If so, we would welcome reviews from our members in our 48 HOURS TO MEMPHIS thread in the FTD section: http://www.tcb-world.com/showthread....urs-To-Memphis

PLEASE NOTE: the thread in the FTD section is only for full length reviews of the new CD. Regular discussions about the CD can be held right here in this thread!

TCB!
    Mike
    Hi Mike posted review for 48 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by my boy View Post
    Hi Mike – posted review for 48 hrs
    Thanks so much my friend...can't wait to read it!!

TCB!
    Mike

Anyone knows what happened to the original multitrack tape of the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Anyone knows what happened to the original multitrack tape of the show?
    Perhaps RCA still has it in the vaults somewhere?? After all, if the copy that 48 HOURS was made from was lost all these years, who's not to say that the original multi-track tape is also sitting somewhere in the vaults??

I wonder how many other missing Elvis sessions or concerts are sitting in there, perhaps on an unmarked reel or in a wrongly-marked box??

TCB!
    Mike

Most probably the Multi Track tape was erased - it is already wonderful enough the 2-track mono tape popped up and made get accesible for everybody to enjoy. The sound is great on this one.!!

I don't know, it might be my poor hearing, but this new release sounds almost the same as the "Guaranteed..." bootleg. What should I notice? Or what do I miss listening to it?
    Poke a little sock salad...

Perhaps RCA still has it in the vaults somewhere?? After all, if the copy that 48 HOURS was made from was lost all these years, who's not to say that the original multi-track tape is also sitting somewhere in the vaults??

I wonder how many other missing Elvis sessions or concerts are sitting in there, perhaps on an unmarked reel or in a wrongly-marked box??

TCB!
    Mike
    Yes that's what I mean Mike, its quite clear this is a reduction from a pro multitrack recording (probably they where doing a tryout mix for the Memphis show), why should they erase the multitrack, and keep the mono reduction? its a bit weird, except if the mono reduction doesn't came from the RCA Vaults but from a private collector that happened to have that copy.

Anyway this is a great release, but I'm probably going the save my money for the Promised Land FTD. Can't have them all!

Yes that's what I mean Mike, its quite clear this is a reduction from a pro multitrack recording (probably they where doing a tryout mix for the Memphis show), why should they erase the multitrack, and keep the mono reduction? its a bit weird, except if the mono reduction doesn't came from the RCA Vaults but from a private collector that happened to have that copy.
    Well, wasn't it reported in the initial press information by whomever that the tape for this show was only recently found by Ernst/FTD/RCA?? Or was it just reported that the tape was recently found, but not reported by whom or where it was found?

I agree with you though my friend that it makes no sense to keep a mono mix-down copy and erase the original multitrack tape...

Anyway this is a great release, but I'm probably going the save my money for the Promised Land FTD. Can't have them all!
    Not when they release them 4 at a time, that's for sure!!!

While I LOVE all of the FTD releases, they REALLY need to consider the economic downturn around the world and back off on their release schedule a little more to accommodate those fans who actually WANT to own them all!!! Obviously the material isn't going anywhere, so what's the difference if a release is issued a little later in the year so there aren't so many releases coming out all at once at $30 each!!! I'm sure there are MANY fans (myself included) who want to own all the FTD releases, but have a hard time coming up with such a large chunk of change all at one time!!

Just my two cents for what it is worth...

TCB!
    Mike

Not when they release them 4 at a time, that's for sure!!!

While I LOVE all of the FTD releases, they REALLY need to consider the economic downturn around the world and back off on their release schedule a little more to accommodate those fans who actually WANT to own them all!!! Obviously the material isn't going anywhere, so what's the difference if a release is issued a little later in the year so there aren't so many releases coming out all at once at $30 each!!! I'm sure there are MANY fans (myself included) who want to own all the FTD releases, but have a hard time coming up with such a large chunk of change all at one time!!

Just my two cents for what it is worth...

TCB!
    Mike
    Some of us have just spend money on the Young Man box set which was expensive stuff (although the most beatiful thing ever lol) and now: 48hours, He Touched Me, Promised Land and the 70's Christmas Album!!!! sure most of us would like to have it all, but at the same time its basically imposible to do that and avoid a divorce or to be kick out of your apartment for not paying the rent!

So I guess most of us have to choose and there's anything wrong with that, for me the Christmas target is Promised Land and He Touched Me. Maybe latter in spring 2012 Ill go back to the 48hrs or the Xmas release, but if by then some more exiting FTD projects are being released, and Elvis on Tour, MSG and the Sun Box might be on the works, then most people will go there, and sales are being lost on the product was not the first choise the very first time so...

But what do I know, sure they do know what they are doing, its fantastic to have all those Elvis releases anyhow!!!

The tape used for 48 hrs to memphis does not come out of the RCA vaults, but from the Colonel's collection. Most probably the only intention to record the show was to find out how to create more excitement recording the Memphis show.

Why on 2-track.? Maybe a quick mixdown so it also could actually be played and analysed.......I don't know for sure......

Where does the tape come from.? Read the booklet - It has been handed over to Ernst by a private collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    The tape used for 48 hrs to memphis does not come out of the RCA vaults, but from the Colonel's collection. Most probably the only intention to record the show was to find out how to create more excitement recording the Memphis show.

Why on 2-track.? Maybe a quick mixdown so it also could actually be played and analysed.......I don't know for sure......

Where does the tape come from.? Read the booklet - It has been handed over to Ernst by a private collector.
    OKey now that makes much more sense, a reduction was a common practicality so the tape could be heard in any mono old tape recorder, probably at Col. office or at Elvis one so as you say, they could get a quick read at the show and see if the playlist was good/suitable enough for a new live album. Then the original multitrack (probalby made so also Felton could tryout a good mix pattern before the actual Memphis show or as a safe copy if something wrong happened during the Memphis show recording) got deleted as it was the Memphis identical one which made it to the mastering.

Don't have the CD to read the booklet, so thanks for the info Hans.

Some of us have just spend money on the Young Man box set which was expensive stuff (although the most beatiful thing ever lol) and now: 48hours, He Touched Me, Promised Land and the 70's Christmas Album!!!! sure most of us would like to have it all, but at the same time its basically imposible to do that and avoid a divorce or to be kick out of your apartment for not paying the rent!

So I guess most of us have to choose and there's anything wrong with that, for me the Christmas target is Promised Land and He Touched Me. Maybe latter in spring 2012 Ill go back to the 48hrs or the Xmas release, but if by then some more exiting FTD projects are being released, and Elvis on Tour, MSG and the Sun Box might be on the works, then most people will go there, and sales are being lost on the product was not the first choise the very first time so...

But what do I know, sure they do know what they are doing, its fantastic to have all those Elvis releases anyhow!!!
    I agree 100% my friend...like we've said before, what other artist has his own "collector's label" and is putting out albums with previously unreleased material 34 years after his passing???

But as I said, obviously RCA has the material and it's not going anywhere, so I don't understand why they feel the need to put out so much stuff at one time as to force some fans that don't have the monetary means to have to pick and choose, thus possibly missing out on some releases in the process. I really think they could space out the releases a bit more...in the process, allowing more fans to have the opportunity to be able to buy all the releases and at the same time lengthening the life of the FTD label in general. As we all know (and as Ernst has said before), eventually they will run out of material to release and the FTD label will cease to exist. But by spacing the releases out more, they could extend the life of the label for perhaps years...and give them more time to keep looking for more unfound stuff as well.

But like you said my friend, obviously they know more than we do...

TCB!
    Mike

See, I haven't received my copy yet so I didn't know that!! Thanks for the info. Hans!!

Does the booklet say whether they know where the original reel-to-reel is?

TCB!
    Mike

Actualy the source for the FTD is the original reel to reel - a 2 channel mono reel to reel tape - unmarked with All Star Shows stamped on the box.

Actualy the source for the FTD is the original reel to reel - a 2 channel mono reel to reel tape - unmarked with All Star Shows stamped on the box.
    Hmm...well, I'm not a technical wizard by any means, but if the source of the FTD CD is the original reel-to-reel, then why on Earth did they initially announce this as a multi-track stereo release if they knew the source was mono??

TCB!
    Mike

The stereo thing was only on the layout of the artwork in progress which ended up in the promo on youtube - FTD never announced anything...... But the source is so good it has to be multi-track (although mono).

Ain't it just great something like this surfaces? Wait till you have it (if you gonna get it that's it) and then judge....

The stereo thing was only on the layout of the artwork in progress which ended up in the promo on youtube - FTD never announced anything...... But the source is so good it has to be multi-track (although mono).

Ain't it just great something like this surfaces? Wait till you have it (if you gonna get it that's it) and then judge....
    I can't wait!! My copy is on the way so I should have it soon!!

Thanks again for the info. my friend!!

TCB!
    Mike