Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What was he thinking?

Backstage Pass

Re: What was he thinking?

Right JJ, if two overdoses didn't make him change, if the love of his daughter didn't,,I don't know what would. I also think Elvis has a way of convincing people that he would be ok, and my gosh, they prob. wanted so badly to believe it. He was making promises before he died. Sometimes ya just stay, and hope and pray. 42 seems so young,, but Elvis lived a lot and lived hard in those years.

JJ, probably getting a new more artistically oriented manager. Parker was just a carnival huckster and used Elvis as his bearded woman during the last years of his life. Unfortunatelly Elvis was too insecure to do so and I guess he was afraid to take the risk, so he got himself into a loop from which he didn't know how to get out. On one hand he was fed up with the turn his career had taken and on the other hand he was afraid to lose everything. It must have been really frustrating for him and getting dumb with medication seemed to be his way to escape from that.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

I believe the punishing schedule of touring has a large part in the decline of Elvis' health. Initially it was probably because Elvis & the Colonel couldn't believe how much money they were making and how long that interest would last. After that it became the norm. I mean how many performers of Elvis' calibre do two shows a day and tour as extensively as he did?

I just don't believe that Elvis or the Colonel really new what Elvis' popularity was. Rather than a less is more approach, the Colonel basically flogged Elvis to death.

reading every one thoughts and posts ...really teach me a lot about the history of a man name Elvis , should we all write book about it ? you know for fans only , fun but serious ,... great insight from KPM, Diane , Mike and many others, ..

I think Elvis Presley too soon to stardom may be to blame as well. who would prepared to be call: The King , Sex Symbol, and women throw themselves at you everywhere you go . I used to feel sorry for Elvis for not having normalcy as we all have & take for granted. Even now after almost 35 years gone, he still can shook the world with his music, I cant imagine what kind of life he would been having if he's still alive ? I know I'd be happy like a little monkey, but i would feel sorry for E. for still living his life as he was . Well, We'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    The tragedy seems more acute when you look at Elvis in Jan 1973 and compare with Feb 1977 just 4 short years apart but it could be two completely different people! I realise that Elvis looked great in Jan 73 and that all manner of problems could have been hidden within Elvis' body but that seems like the last year and point of no return unfortunately.

I often wonder what would have shaken Elvis enough to change his lifestyle, I don't agree with pointing the finger at a single individual but boy I feel mad when I think of Dr. Nick and the Colonel and their combined contribution. One pushing Elvis relentlessly, the other handing out pills as if they were candy.
    Fast forward to today and MJs doctor being on trial for unethical medical behavoir in a scenario very similar to Elvis.
    People who are prone to addictions do not need yes men or "snow men" helping and guiding them....that said the problem lies in that money and fame influence many-so someone is always willing to give what is wanted.
    Elvis may have really felt he had things under control-but MJ surely saw the pitfalls of this type of behavoir and worried about the consequences of it (at least according to Lisa)
    I will always give Elvis the benefit of the doubt-because the Colonel was smarter mentally, he knew how to get an end result.
    Elvis second guessed himself-and that insecurity set him up to be exploited.
    Work in Progress!

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Fast forward to today and MJs doctor being on trial for unethical medical behavoir in a scenario very similar to Elvis.
    People who are prone to addictions do not need yes men or "snow men" helping and guiding them....that said the problem lies in that money and fame influence many-so someone is always willing to give what is wanted.
    Elvis may have really felt he had things under control-but MJ surely saw the pitfalls of this type of behavoir and worried about the consequences of it (at least according to Lisa)
    I will always give Elvis the benefit of the doubt-because the Colonel was smarter mentally, he knew how to get an end result.
    Elvis second guessed himself-and that insecurity set him up to be exploited.
    Money and fame will always entice yes people and sometimes the word no should be more readily said to the rich and famous whether they want to hear it or not.

quite agree JJ
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123