Thread: On Tour - The Rehearsals Released Review

kennyelvis

On Tour - The Rehearsals Released Review

I have up a new review on my site, made by Nightrider.
    here
    Last edited by Albert; 12-29-2004 at 05:36 AM. Reason: changed link to working one

And I have a list where everything from these sessions has been released before

Elvis On Tour - Rehearsals

Merry Christmas

Keith

Backstage Pass
    You put in lots of work on that list Keith....will save me some work I am sure..

I've been listening to the FTD "On Tour - Rehearsals" CD since I got it, and as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best FTD's yet. "Young & Beautiful" is just wonderful to listen to!

Keith
    Last edited by Keith F; 12-26-2004 at 06:25 AM.

Thank you! for sharing this fantastic recording with us. I'm not in the position to buy this new ftd release (cause of a little money crisis) so this sound file is very welcome for me. And a real shame that i have to miss this fantastic new release.
    I think Elvis did a very fine job on this song, but also proves that he raised his level of singing. Man now i want to hear the complete album! I have to do it with the flashback cd: Elvis On Tour, i'll give this cd a spin right now, followed by 6363 sunset..

I'm glad you liked it Patrick

I've decided to take it down, as it is the main selling point of the whole CD, and I don't want to upset BMG too much

Keith
    Last edited by Keith F; 12-26-2004 at 06:27 AM.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith F
    I've been listening to the FTD "On Tour - Rehearsals" CD since I got it, and as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best FTD's yet. "Young & Beautiful" is just wonderful to listen to!

I've been doing some tampering with "Young & Beautiful" to make it sound more listenable (cutting out Elvis' remarks etc...) and have come up with this

Young & Beautiful - 72

What do you think, any good?

Keith

Very cool Keith And i agree....it is one of the best FTD's so far
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Backstage Pass
    Cheers Keith, I ordered mine from Amazon and it hasn't come yet
    nice litle taster for when they get their finger out and send the thing
    "When You Let Your Head get Too Big, It'll Break your Neck" Elvis Presley.

Thanks Kenny and Keith for the info. I havent got the cd yet, but it is at the top of my wishlist

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Got my CD today, and I must say, this one is a real winner!

I don't know what most people have been saying lately, but last week I was reading somewhere else some disappointed folks who were let down by Y & B's not having been given a total 50s treatment by Elvis. Why, kids, why? First of all, why expect that--what would be the point? "Man, I wish he sang it just like he did in '57 so I could listen to one and not be able to tell it from the other!"

Come on! That song is a real gem, a rarity the likes of which aren't released too often in this day and age, and apart from the very beginning, it was given a serious treatment the whole way through. The entire CD is great, beginning to end. Those who haven't heard the El Paso one-liner on imports were probably disappointed by its being given its own track, but other than that, no complaints from me.

Thanks to the powers that be for this one.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

TCB Mafia
    Couldn't agree more Bobby...aside from El Paso....with really didn't deserve its own track number...it should have been included at the start or end of something else. But..thats no big deal....it a great release and very much recommended
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Backstage Pass
    I really love this release, even my wife and kid just dig it.
    It hasn't left my cd player since I got it.
    a TOP cd, with a less cover, but the inside made it all up. Allready consider this release one of my favorites.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    I really, REALLY miss between track talking of Elvis and his band. The CD now is so clean and sober. Listening seems sometimes like listening to a studio CD, sometimes a live CD and very seldom like listening to a rehearsal CD.

The sound is fantastic, the songs are great, but it misses the atmosphere of CD's like "Brightest Star On Sunset Blvd", "Get Down And Get With It" or "From Sunset Blvd... To Paradise Road".

And the artwork is just plain horrible. The absense of liner notes and other good information about the session is a bad choice (like on most of the other FTD releases). The "pictures" (seems like photoshots taken from a television) are too poor to be used. I've seen better pics from these sessions. Another missed chance.

The runningtime of just 51 minutes is also a big minor. Since much more of these sessions have previously been released (on bootlegs or by BMG), the runningtime could have been more.

So this release has some big plus points, but also many of (the standard FTD) minus points. But the content and sound is very good, and that's what counts after all
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Cadillac King
    Albert,
    Re:Short running time. I'm guessing that Ernst is still holding out hope that
    AOL-Time-Warner(whoever) will eventually do something with EOT and so he's holding stuff back for a Sony/BMG release on the main label. Just a guess.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

"too good to be released"

I keep thinking about that statement Ernst made a couple years ago to describe a performance of Young And Beautiful that they had in the vaults, and now that we have this great performance of the song released, I am wondering...

I do think it is a wonderful performance. In fact, I can't get it out of my head or stop singing it. But I can't help but wonder if there is actually another take, a superior one which is being held back for something in the future. Understand I am not complaining about this one in the least or find it lacking, but there are things that make me think this could be the case.

Has Ernst confirmed this is the take he was referring to before? Now I know that he has a way of overhyping things, so it could be as simple as that. On a separate but related note, I don't like the way that sounds--too good to be released--what does that mean? The fans don't deserve it? I don't think he thinks that way, but it's just an odd statement to make, I think. Too good not to release would seem to be the way one should think. Anyway, if this isn't the take, it would make sense; he said before it was too good to be released, and he didn't release it.

What we hear before the song sounds like they are working out the arrangement, the key, etc., which makes me think we are hearing a first take (not sure if 'take' is the proper term to use in the context of a rehearsal session, but since it was being recorded for the movie...nevermind). But since this is sort of assumed to be the only take, that alone isn't significant....Now I know that it would not be strange for Elvis to have just given the song one run-through, but it seems to me like as into the song as it sounded like he was, he wouldn't have stopped there. In fact, we get a rather abrupt fade-out at the end of the song, which is kind of awkward. Even Elvis' last words are somewhat muted. There could be various explanations for that, but perhaps this was just before Elvis told Glen to keep it going, which the song seemed to be doing--or maybe he had already signalled for him to do so. The ending notes could also be the (piano) intro, which is simple but fantastic, I might add.

I'm not trying to make a big deal of this. I'm just thinking out loud and saying it's a possibility.
    Last edited by Lonniebealestreet; 01-01-2005 at 12:01 AM.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.