Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Big Screen Movie Based On Sonny West's Book

New Big Screen Movie Based On Sonny West's Book

Thought I'd share the following links with you relating to the new feature film based on the book by Sonny West. What do you all think about it? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

http://www.billboard.com/news/elvis-...05339162.story

http://www.filmofilia.com/big-screen...irector-65910/

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

Re: New Big Screen Movie Based On Sonny West's Book

I have and read the book. No matter what Sonny says, there is always at least a hint of negativity towards Elvis so I always question his claiming to be a good friend.

I won't be going to see the movie.

Agree Diane.

you can't help thinking the 'warts and all' slant will be at the fore-front............
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    you can't help thinking the 'warts and all' slant will be at the fore-front............
    That whole group was extremly dysfunctional. But in the little world they made, it was inevitable. So what. It was Elvis's family and there is no perfect family. Of course some are worse than others. But I think that while their were problems, there was also, alot of love and good times. I'm not sure if people just want sugar-coated versions or what??

It amazes the heck out of me how some people will still hold resentment/hate towards a person or persons 34 years after Elvis passed away! Let it go, for Pete's sake!! I can probably bet that nobody in this thread has met or corresponded with Sonny West and are basing your judgements on what's been written about Elvis by them.

1.) They had NO contact with Elvis at all after the firing - Sonny, in fact, tried calling Elvis in Palm Springs at Dr. Ghanem's houseto ask him why they were fired and Elvis took the high road and wouldn't talk to them.

2.) Elvis didn't fire them - he told his father to fire them. As much as I love Elvis, I still think that he should've been the one to tell them that they were being fired. He supposedly told Vernon to give them $5,000.00 each and tell them that they would be re-hired later but, no, Vernon coldly called all three of them and fired them on the spot with only three days notice and a week's pay - sounds like a pretty crappy way to be fired, if you want my honest opinion.

3.) They thought the book would help save Elvis's life but they had no knowledge of publishers (good or bad) and the book was the ONLY way for them to "reach" Elvis to make him see what he was doing to himself and to the people around him and they decided to go with sleaze-bag journalist, Steve Dunleavy. They told him what to put in the book but when they saw the galley proofs of the book, there was absolutely NONE of the things that they had told Dunleavy about in the book. DUNLEAVY sensationalized the book. So, basically, neither Sonny nor Red nor Dave had any part in actually writing the book. I know there's a pretty famous photo of the three of them looking at previews of the book and, from the looks on their faces, I don't think that they liked at all what they were reading. I think Sonny has paid ENOUGH for the trash talk from fans about the book and I think it's time tht we, as fans, LET IT GO!!!!'''

This is one topic that hits a sore spot with me everytime I see something about them because they were essentially put out in the cold by both Elvis and his father. Now, how many of you would like to be treated the same way by a person who you loved dearly and someone you considered your best friend and loved them very much?
    Last edited by Jungleroom76; 09-09-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Fixed .html coding error

I'm gonna see this one too, no matter what. I won't judge the movie without seeing it first.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ahm1977
    ELVIS.....BEHIND BLUE EYES....ALWAYS THE KING...

I know you have always defended the MM Tony, but I feel that it is not harboring resentment towards them when Sonny is still to this day using Elvis in every way he can to make money...his new book and now this movie. Can he not make a living for himself without cashing in on Elvis?

I don't feel like Sonny is "cashing in" on Elvis at all. If that were the case, what are people like George Klein, Jerry Schilling & Joe Esposito (those are the only three that come to mind at the moment) doing? George works for EPE and his book is sugarcoated and doesn't tell the whole truth - same goes for Jerry Schilling, IMO. They were also both trying to make $$$ off of Elvis but they also didn't tell the whole story, either, because of being so closely associated with EPE. Priscilla's book was so "one-sided" with it's story that I can't read it anymore.

If anyone here ever met Sonny West and had a one-on-one talk with him, I bet you'd change your mind about him and his feelings towards Elvis. He knows that some fans still don't like the first book but, as I said in my original post, we can ALL thank Steve Dunleavy for the first book. He sensationalized the book to make it more appealing. I don't blame Sonny, Red or Dave at ALL for trying to do the only thing they knew how to do (or could do at the time) to save their friend and former employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I don't feel like Sonny is "cashing in" on Elvis at all. If that were the case, what are people like George Klein, Jerry Schilling & Joe Esposito (those are the only three that come to mind at the moment) doing? George works for EPE and his book is sugarcoated and doesn't tell the whole truth - same goes for Jerry Schilling, IMO. They were also both trying to make $$$ off of Elvis but they also didn't tell the whole story, either, because of being so closely associated with EPE. Priscilla's book was so "one-sided" with it's story that I can't read it anymore.

If anyone here ever met Sonny West and had a one-on-one talk with him, I bet you'd change your mind about him and his feelings towards Elvis. He knows that some fans still don't like the first book but, as I said in my original post, we can ALL thank Steve Dunleavy for the first book. He sensationalized the book to make it more appealing. I don't blame Sonny, Red or Dave at ALL for trying to do the only thing they knew how to do (or could do at the time) to save their friend and former employer.
    AMEN!
    I also think the last West book is good.

I don't believe in 'sugar coating' anything........but there's a difference between that and over sensationalising something so it will sell...........

Elvis isn't here to defend himself, so many 'conversations' etc....that various people recall were so called 'private times' with Elvis when nobody else is around to dispute what happened/was said.

What Elvis did, said, and what he took won't shock anyone in this day and age with lots of celebritied dying of prescription overdoses. However, that doesn't mean we, as his fans can't be protective of his memory..................
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I certainly agree with you Tony that Sonny is not doing anything differently than Jerry, Joe, George and Priscilla have done. I also agree that those guys probably do have to tread very lightly with their projects because they are still in the good graces of EPE!!! Clearly, they don't want to lose THAT meal ticket!!!

While I certainly don't condone what Sonny, Red and Dave did with E:WH, I can see why they felt the way they did with getting fired the way they were. But after reading Sonny's second book, I really do think that Sonny cared for Elvis moreso than many of the other "hangers on" who were only there to get what they could from Elvis. Yes, Sonny was also given a lot from Elvis but let's face it...the man put his life on the line for Elvis night after night after night on that concert stage!! Every one of the guys who worked/hung around with Elvis made mistakes and they all have told their stories, yes "cashing in" on Elvis' name during the process. But I really do think that if given the chance, Sonny would go back and change some things that happened around the time of his firing and the writing/release of E:WH.

Either way, it really has been too long and perhaps it is time for fans to put aside their differences with whomever they have grievances with throughout Elvis' organization... (in MOST cases anyway... )

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

By the way, I am definitely interested to see how the movie turns out...most notably who they find to play Elvis.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    I certainly agree with you Tony that Sonny is not doing anything differently than Jerry, Joe, George and Priscilla have done. I also agree that those guys probably do have to tread very lightly with their projects because they are still in the good graces of EPE!!! Clearly, they don't want to lose THAT meal ticket!!!

While I certainly don't condone what Sonny, Red and Dave did with E:WH, I can see why they felt the way they did with getting fired the way they were. But after reading Sonny's second book, I really do think that Sonny cared for Elvis moreso than many of the other "hangers on" who were only there to get what they could from Elvis. Yes, Sonny was also given a lot from Elvis but let's face it...the man put his life on the line for Elvis night after night after night on that concert stage!! Every one of the guys who worked/hung around with Elvis made mistakes and they all have told their stories, yes "cashing in" on Elvis' name during the process. But I really do think that if given the chance, Sonny would go back and change some things that happened around the time of his firing and the writing/release of E:WH.

Either way, it really has been too long and perhaps it is time for fans to put aside their differences with whomever they have grievances with throughout Elvis' organization... (in MOST cases anyway... )

TCB!
    Mike

Agree it's been too long........ They all have to live with what they say and do as we do.

We'll never see or read what really happened, only individuals one sided memories. It's bad manners and unneccesary to soil the memory of a dead man be it based in some truth or not. I choose to only read the postives about Elvis since he's not here to defend himself. As Elvis fans we should resepect what Elvis held most dear, which was his privacy. I bear no ill will to the MM or those who tell these stories. But I'd rather spend my hard earned money celebrating the man and his music.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
    We'll never see or read what really happened, only individuals one sided memories. It's bad manners and unneccesary to soil the memory of a dead man be it based in some truth or not. I choose to only read the postives about Elvis since he's not here to defend himself. As Elvis fans we should resepect what Elvis held most dear, which was his privacy. I bear no ill will to the MM or those who tell these stories. But I'd rather spend my hard earned money celebrating the man and his music.

The bigger question is this, who is going to play Elvis?

That's a scary thought. So far none but Kurt Russell did much of a job and still he didn't look much like Elvis. I don't think it's possible to find anyone that could portray him close enough in looks or personality. He was one of a kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
    There you have it, i wholeheartedly agree with your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    That's a scary thought. So far none but Kurt Russell did much of a job and still he didn't look much like Elvis. I don't think it's possible to find anyone that could portray him close enough in looks or personality. He was one of a kind.
    Am i the only one who didn't like Kurt Russell portraying Elvis?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast