Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why not Charlie?!

Backstage Pass

Re: Why not Charlie?!

Taught Elvis to sing??? I don't think so. Elvis sang and Charlie hormonized with him. Elvis was a singer long before Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieT View Post
    Taught Elvis to sing??? I don't think so. Elvis sang and Charlie hormonized with him. Elvis was a singer long before Charlie.
    I meant he taught him some vocal tecnhiques during their army time. Charlie was a very good vocal coach. Sure he taught and guided Elvis later through his career.

Backstage Pass

Can you tell me where you get this idea from???

Coming On Strong

I think its more of a case of Elvis finding something for Charlie to do, so he became Elvis` onstage gofer. I know its said he had some input regarding Elvis` stage material, but really, its nothing Elvis could`nt handle himself.

The un-plugged guitar, the endless cackling, over loud "back-up" and "harmonies".....nahh there was no need for Charlie.

I have no doubt that as Elvis became more troubled on stage he became more reliant on guidance from Charlie. That back-up role was important. For example, you can hear his little prompt with the title of My Way in EIC

Why not Charlie, first.. he is now gone, ... so please people have some respect talking about him. if you dont have any respectful words about him then leave it and moved on. I think EPE had cut many people who dearest for Elvis, I believe he may wanted to keep some of the memories and legacy for himself, something can be very personal and a lot of them just wanted to treasure it , no offense but may be that was what he wished ??.. I will never know. If hes still alive, i would think some fans would ask him this question ' Why Not you Charlie..?'

He was Elvis buddy to poke many of jokes on stage, they often named it as ' the gay routine '- on Are You Lonesome Tonight... and in real life he was the few of E.. real friend, he may not be Joe Satriani, or Jimmi hendrix playing a guitar, his voice not be as smooth as the guys on the Stamps but Elvis gave him responsibility of how the stage was,.. etc, this was what Elvis liked , so why we all argued about something that none of us could change. Enuff of me yapping, i got island fever now ...

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieT View Post
    Can you tell me where you get this idea from???

Sure I can tell you where I got that "idea" from. First it is very well known and documented that Xharlie and Elvis became big friends in the army. Charlie was a vocal coach. They had a piano at Elvis' place and they sang a lot. Charlie taught Elvis breathing and other techniques. Just liesten to his pre and post army recordings how his voice matured after he came back from the army. Second sure that Elvis was talented and all, but talent is only 10 %. Nobody, really nobody can develop and grow a voice like Elvis did from 1969-1977 without practicing at least once a weak.Especially for Elvis who had 2-3 shows a day he really needed some practice. It's like training. Training your vocal chords. There are our mucels. Third I know very well what I'm talking about as I am a professional opera singer. Fourth I had a friend who was vocally in trouble had a little "vocal crisis" as we call it and who had masterclasses with Charlie Hodge in 2000/2001 and told me that he helped him so much. He was a life savior. Told me he is a great teacher and that he knew why Elvis sang technically so good. Elvis really had a great vocal technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    Sure I can tell you where I got that "idea" from. First it is very well known and documented that Xharlie and Elvis became big friends in the army. Charlie was a vocal coach. They had a piano at Elvis' place and they sang a lot. Charlie taught Elvis breathing and other techniques. Just liesten to his pre and post army recordings how his voice matured after he came back from the army. Second sure that Elvis was talented and all, but talent is only 10 %. Nobody, really nobody can develop and grow a voice like Elvis did from 1969-1977 without practicing at least once a weak.Especially for Elvis who had 2-3 shows a day he really needed some practice. It's like training. Training your vocal chords. There are our mucels. Third I know very well what I'm talking about as I am a professional opera singer. Fourth I had a friend who was vocally in trouble had a little "vocal crisis" as we call it and who had masterclasses with Charlie Hodge in 2000/2001 and told me that he helped him so much. He was a life savior. Told me he is a great teacher and that he knew why Elvis sang technically so good. Elvis really had a great vocal technique.
    I agree with you, not only did Charlie help Elvis with his vocal technique, he was a good friend that tried his best to keep up Elvis' spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    I agree with you, not only did Charlie help Elvis with his vocal technique, he was a good friend that tried his best to keep up Elvis' spirit.
    Thanks Diane. At least somebody who shows some respect to that man. The only thing people know is bashing. It's easy to bash him now when he's gone. I agree Diane he definitely always tried to keep his spirit up. He was a true friend,musician,coach just everything. I think Charlie deserved much more than 85% of the *****ic comments he got here on this forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12