Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not Charlie?!

Why not Charlie?!

How come that Charlie Hodge was excluded out of a lot of projects? When Elvis the concert started in 1997 they didn't even invited him. Sorry but I have to say that he is and was one of the most "important" members of the band. In an interview once he said I don't know they just didn't call me up for, it completely ignored me. What was with Elvis by the Presleys? When they were filming it in 2004/2005 Charlie was still alive. I guess they rather have Joe Esposito, Red and Sonny West, Lamar Fikea and other parasites selling their porkypies instead of a true and close and loyal friend as Charlie. Gosh that makes me so mad!!!

Re: Why not Charlie?!

Well, musically speaking he was not that important in the TCB Band, if there isnīt any Elvis to give water, scarfs, etc. there is not much point in having him on stage. His harmony singing with Elvis might had a reason to be in the studio on some tracks, but on stage, if there's no Elvis, there's no need for a Charlie.

As an Elvis friend and aid, that's another story and you might have a point about it.

Charlie was an important part of the band in his support for Elvis, particularly in latter years, but he wasn't necessarily there for his music and singing. Still i think he should have been invited at least for that first concert

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

I seem to remember seeing a story about a falling out between Charlie and EPE at some point...or maybe it was Charlie and Priscilla...I really can't remember, but perhaps this has something to do with it??

I personally agree that Charlie was a very important part of the band in terms of his support and close relationship/friendship with Elvis. But still...I agree that he really should have been invited to attend the show...he was very recognizable to the fans as he was the one always handing Elvis his scarves, so I'm sure the fans would have appreciated his inclusion in the show.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Given his loyalty to Elvis and Elvis' fondness of him, he should have been included. The man never missed a show for God sakes!

Really nice guy but had an annoying as hell voice.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

The way you have to look at these things is that Elvis had his buddies and Priscilla had hers, few of them crossed over and those that did are happy to let Priscilla gloss over the truth with a very thick coating of bullcrap. Priscilla has these guys clambering for scraps off the table.

Personally I have more respect for those who have stuck to their principles and kept well away from her, even if they haven't strictly been helpful to the legacy!

I guess so
    Last edited by Dazed and Confused; 09-01-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Couldn't agree more !!!!
    If your an Elvis fan, no explanation is necessary....
    If your not, no explanation is possible!

Maybe they didn't invited him as they where affraid he might blew the whole thing with his laughin as he did in the sit down shows of the '68 special.

Yeh, that was an annoying moment................
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    The way you have to look at these things is that Elvis had his buddies and Priscilla had hers, few of them crossed over and those that did are happy to let Priscilla gloss over the truth with a very thick coating of bullcrap. Priscilla has these guys clambering for scraps off the table.

Personally I have more respect for those who have stuck to their principles and kept well away from her, even if they haven't strictly been helpful to the legacy!
    RIGHT ON MATT!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

Charlie's influence on Elvis' was much more than most people know. This started right from the start of their friendship (in the army) by introducing Elvis to different music styles and harmonizing. When Elvis returned to live performing, Charlie was the one who gave Elvis his so much needed 'home' feeling (since Charlie was a longtime friend). He was his 'safe-point'.

Charlie helped Elvis with selecting songs for the setlists, getting him back on track when Elvis was off (lyrics, the next song to sing, etc). He made Elvis feel at ease by laughing along, clowning around and basically be there for him when needed.

Eventhough his function was very important during the 70s, I can understand why EPE decided not to include him. Musically speaking, he was not that important during a live show. Sometimes playing rhythm guitar (unneeded: we had John Wilkinson for that) and harmonizing (unneeded: we had the Imperials, the Sweet Inspirations, JD Sumner & The Stamps and Voice).

A the same time it could also be that the amount of money Charlie asked for this stint was too high, or that the role that he wanted during the ELvis The Concert Tour was too big. He was Elvis sidekick, so without Elvis.... what was left for him to do on these shows? But that's all guessing.... I only hope that Charlie didn't have any problems with not being part of this show.

Perhaps a question to ask to one of the current TCB band members or Joe Esposito?
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Coming On Strong

Come on guys, Elvis really had no need for Charlie onstage. Charlie should have felt embarrassed being onstage it was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Charlie's influence on Elvis' was much more than most people know. This started right from the start of their friendship (in the army) by introducing Elvis to different music styles and harmonizing. When Elvis returned to live performing, Charlie was the one who gave Elvis his so much needed 'home' feeling (since Charlie was a longtime friend). He was his 'safe-point'.

Charlie helped Elvis with selecting songs for the setlists, getting him back on track when Elvis was off (lyrics, the next song to sing, etc). He made Elvis feel at ease by laughing along, clowning around and basically be there for him when needed.
    EXCELLENT POINTS MY FRIEND!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ematt View Post
    Come on guys, Elvis really had no need for Charlie onstage. Charlie should have felt embarrassed being onstage it was ridiculous.
    You better take back what you just said Boy.

Coming On Strong

And why would that be old chap?

TCB Mafia

Personally I think the real reason that Charlie was not part of the 'Elvis In Concert' production has already been stated in that without a 'live' Elvis he could bring no realistic function to it e.g. no scarves etc. With the real Elvis, of course, Charlie also had the important function of keeping Elvis on track with the song list and supplying him with gatorade/water. Again not needed in the post Elvis production.

One must not forget Kathy Westmoreland who was also not invited to appear in the current production. In fact she had more legitimacy for appearing than Charlie did. It would appear that Priscilla did not like her alleged 'romantic involvement' with Elvis at one stage.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Quinn View Post
    Personally I think the real reason that Charlie was not part of the 'Elvis In Concert' production has already been stated in that without a 'live' Elvis he could bring no realistic function to it e.g. no scarves etc. With the real Elvis, of course, Charlie also had the important function of keeping Elvis on track with the song list and supplying him with gatorade/water. Again not needed in the post Elvis production.

One must not forget Kathy Westmoreland who was also not invited to appear in the current production. In fact she had more legitimacy for appearing than Charlie did. It would appear that Priscilla did not like her alleged 'romantic involvement' with Elvis at one stage.

Brian
    Yep. Chalie was Elvis aid, he did was needed up there on stage, handing Elvis guitars, turning on and off his amp, handing capes, scarfs, water, getting him back on track if he forget the words, went out of tune, or what song is next. But musically speaking, he did not offer a thing to the overall sound, he was not a band member in terms of sound but in technical terms, pretty much he was a roadie, Elvis personal one.

So without Elvis, really, I don't see a reason for him to be. That's not to say he did had an importan function when Elvis was up there, center stage, or rehearsing.

P.S. Now, if Elvis the Concert, is not just about him and his music but about a family like situation, and I could get that, I do understand many people wanting to see Charlie, that's all right. You can't think of Mr. Burns without W. Smithers right?
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 09-05-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ematt View Post
    And why would that be old chap?
    Cause you're so wrong and some other people on this forum here too. He was very important to him. In private life and on stage Charlie was the one that took care of a lot of things and never betrayed Elvis. He played rhythm guitar on stage and sang all the back vocals. Even then when they started with the whole Elvis screen thing he would be important because he is the one that is associated with Elvis he was a real part of the band and a true family friend and I'm afraid Elvis' only real friend. Sure he helped out with water and scarves and all that small stuff but he was there backstage too for a lot of other stuff and organized things, taught Elvis to sing and plus all of that he was a part of the band played guitar and sang backup. He deserved much much more than he did and he certanly didn't derserve the disrespect that he's getting from some of the members on the forum here!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast