Thread: Did the book Elvis: What Happened? kill him? Interesting theory

Did the book Elvis: What Happened? kill him? Interesting theory

Another one of those unsolved mysteries. I have always believed that the book Elvis: What Happened? was the final nail in the coffin for Elvis. The timing if its release and the timing of his death just 15 days later were too coincidental. I'm not saying this is fact of how he died, no one knows how he died, but it had to have had some type of effect on him dying the night before leaving to go on tour. Was it suicide with an overdose or was it just from stress? We'll never know. But this excerpt from an article about it makes you wonder which.

For the first time, the book revealed the full extent of Elvis Presleys complete and total dependence on a long list of prescription drugs. And it was not a pretty story. It was a virtual pharmacopia of drugs and other sundry and tawdry personal details about Elvis.

Close Elvis associates have said the book had a devastating effect on Presley. He read portions of an advance copy of it, became alternately depressed and enraged and was agitated to the point of talking about luring [former bodyguards and two of the book's three interview subjects] Red and Sonny to Graceland and then killing them.

Flippo notes that Elvis died just a few weeks after the book was published.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowll...express_b34101

To me, I think Elvis felt really betrayed and stabbed in the back to where it was too much for him to overcome.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Re: Did the book Elvis: What Happened? kill him? Interesting theory

it certainly contributed to his depression

which in turn results in lack of self care - so it is an indirect contributing factor

I think it was less the book and contents than the fact of the book - Elvis had an expectation of Red and Sonny protecting him and i don't think he considered very much what their being fired did to them psychologically and emotionally

in Elvis' mind, their firing was temporary and I don't think it occured to him about mundane things like paying mortgages and so forth, money wasn't a factor in Elvisworld
    _________
    there is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Nina's Elvis blogs: http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/elvis-index/

We have debated his death over and over-he did not commit suicide.....that would go against every religious principle he had been taught since childhood-Red West himself has said Elvis would never commit suicide.
    The book could not have been something he was overjoyed about....yet he still carried on, took Lisa to amusement parks, still went to the movies etc.....I'm sure it added to the stress in his life.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    it certainly contributed to his depression

which in turn results in lack of self care - so it is an indirect contributing factor

I think it was less the book and contents than the fact of the book - Elvis had an expectation of Red and Sonny protecting him and i don't think he considered very much what their being fired did to them psychologically and emotionally

in Elvis' mind, their firing was temporary and I don't think it occured to him about mundane things like paying mortgages and so forth, money wasn't a factor in Elvisworld
    That's a very good assessment. I think the pressures of what his fans would think about him was too much for him, therefore weighing heaving on him causing the heart attack. His overweight didn't help the matter either.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    We have debated his death over and over-he did not commit suicide.....that would go against every religious principle he had been taught since childhood-Red West himself has said Elvis would never commit suicide.
    The book could not have been something he was overjoyed about....yet he still carried on, took Lisa to amusement parks, still went to the movies etc.....I'm sure it added to the stress in his life.
    That's being kind of naive to think. For one thing, his religious beliefs were mixed by that time. Look at the books he read about different religions including Islamic and Hedonism. He might be the only person I have ever known of to own both a Holy Bible and a Koran. In other words, one believes opposite of the other.

Elvis also went out of his way to beg Red not to release the book. When he said he wouldn't or couldn't, Elvis then wanted them all dead. That's a lot of stress for one person to take on alone.

I know if I felt my friends betrayed me, people whom I trusted with secrets, personal stuff and what not, I'd be devastated and I'm just a working stiff. To have been in Elvis' position, would have been brutal!

Mad Tigers

July 13, 1976 —Vernon Presley fired Elvis' bodyguards ...

In October 1976 Red and Elvis phone call:
    Red West: ok, let me say one more thing before you hang up. If everybody is worried about the book tell them not to? Man, I mean including yourself. We're writing the good stuff Elvis. People.....

Elvis: worried about the book? I don't think so.

Red West: ok.

Elvis: not on my part.

Red West: ok. Good. Because I was out, I was broke. I was made an offer to write the book. I said I'll write the book if I can tell all from day one the good days. He said alright, whatever.

Elvis: well, you do whatever you have to do. I just want you and pat to know I'm still here.

As far as the Bible and the Koran.I have both. I think you'd be surprised how much alike they are .

TCB Mafia

Breakfast killed Elvis.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

In reality, Elvis killed Elvis.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Unfortunate 'Unchained'..................but alas, true
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

So many things and people contributed to Elvis' death...his bad habits and the stress people put on him all played a part in his early death.

Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    Breakfast killed Elvis.
    ?????????????

Forever Best Friends

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyInsane View Post
    ?????????????
    Meaning a lifetime of poor eating habits and unhealthy life style.