Thread: Mystery behind the '74 TV Easter special

Mystery behind the '74 TV Easter special

Out of all the unsolved Elvis mysteries this one strikes me as the most appealing. Very little info has been made public concerning this advertised special that was slated for East 1974. The only ad known for it was on the single cover of I've Got A Think About You Baby record (as seen below).

Now, the question I want to know is what was the content supposed to be and why did RCA make a premature announcement advertising the special if it was never filmed nor finalised by contracts? Something doesn't add up. My theory is that the special was an idea proposed by the Colonel and someone within his circle leaked it to RCA representatives as a new project who in return jumped the gun placing the add on the single before a decision had been reached at the time of the release. Then, when it wasn't, RCA stripped the add and replaced it with the below cover.

Has a mystery been solved?
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

Re: Mystery behind the '74 TV Easter special

I am pretty sure we had a thread about this in 08 and possible one before that... The most convincing logical theory to me is this:
    I recall Aloha was repeated at or near Easter 1974 its second airing.
    That is what the "Coming Soon" refers to, someone must have not understood it was not a new special.
    Work in Progress!

Follow this link and a lengthy article gives another answer to this mystery:
    http://www.elvis-express.com/elvisra..._eastertv.html
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Follow this link and a lengthy article gives another answer to this mystery:
    http://www.elvis-express.com/elvisra..._eastertv.html
    Thanks for that link! So my theory was correct! It was all Parker's doing, as usual and it fell through. Does that not sound familiar? Look at EPE. They jump the gun all the time and then back peddle once it's fallen through. Just like the man in charge before them. It must be contagious. Anyway back to the topic. This one aprt of that link points to my theory.

"Then, from a source I cannot reveal (or lose it), I found out that the “promo words” had come from Colonel Parker’s
    office to RCA in the time between late October and December of ’73. The sleeves were printed before plans changed,
    when, for some reason, the thing fell through"

I guess the next big mystery is what was to be the content for the special? Elvis was off tour and on break from September '73 up to March 1, 1974. That would have been plenty enough free time to have filmed a production special.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Maybe The Colonel had the idea to film the Memphis 3/20/74 show and air it on TV, and when that idea fell through, he switched gears and recorded the concert for release as the ELVIS ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS album??

Considering Easter usually falls in mid-to-late March or early April, this theory would make sense...

Just something to throw out there into the rumor mill for consideration!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Looking back at it from an image standpoint, I wonder if Elvis' weigh gain had something to do with it? His midsection was beginning to poke out a bit by that time. He went through a training course just to lose the 25 pounds for the Aloha special.

Good points as well, Mike! I never really though about that as the Memphis show was planned from the start to be a live album.

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    Thanks for that link! So my theory was correct! It was all Parker's doing, as usual and it fell through. Does that not sound familiar? Look at EPE. They jump the gun all the time and then back peddle once it's fallen through. Just like the man in charge before them. It must be contagious. Anyway back to the topic. This one aprt of that link points to my theory.

"Then, from a source I cannot reveal (or lose it), I found out that the “promo words” had come from Colonel Parker’s
    office to RCA in the time between late October and December of ’73. The sleeves were printed before plans changed,
    when, for some reason, the thing fell through"

I guess the next big mystery is what was to be the content for the special? Elvis was off tour and on break from September '73 up to March 1, 1974. That would have been plenty enough free time to have filmed a production special.
    Hardly the same thing-Parker publicizing a special that no one seems to have any knowledge of except Parker? I am still not convinced that someone just made a mistake thinking the Aloha special replay was a new special. This source for the story about Parker being the reason for the sleeve mistake-was not revealed and if you check all the books on Elvis I have never found any reference to Parker negotiating with any network in 74 for a special.
    The EPE deal for the Japan theme park I pointed out did not fail because of EPE-it failed because the investors said they could easily get financing to build the park and to license the Elvis image from EPE-the investors failed.
    95% of things announced by EPE are carried thru in one form or another, and like all companies they have things which do not pan out.
    As I said, I will gladly give them a pass on a lot of things.....they inherited next to nothing of creative content, and the will instructed them to "grow and protect the estate" it did not specify "How to grow the estate" it did not say "do not sell key chains, towels, commermorative plates, tours of the house, planes, rings, watches, curtains, glasses etc" (because they all has been sold while he was alive) ...once again this was Elvis Aaron Presleys legal and binding will for the protection of his daughers financial future. EPE did not arise into being like CKX, or Apollo-it is in existence because the will set a course and the probate judge enforced the will-even to the point of recommending that Graceland be opened in order to "grow and protect the estate"

Hugely differing circumstance that I feel strongly are brushed aside, or overlooked too often.
    When Elvis was alive it would have been a simple matter to make sure of some level of ownership for the music and films (especially after 1960)
    but that was not done-after Elvis died the idea of somehow buying these things became almost impossible because after his death they became priceless....much like works of art by people like Van Gogh or Rembrandt.
    EPE is not responsible for this situation and has little chance of ever changing it-they are left with what they have.
    But thats how it is
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Hardly the same thing-Parker publicizing a special that no one seems to have any knowledge of except Parker? I am still not convinced that someone just made a mistake thinking the Aloha special replay was a new special. This source for the story about Parker being the reason for the sleeve mistake-was not revealed and if you check all the books on Elvis I have never found any reference to Parker negotiating with any network in 74 for a special.
    The EPE deal for the Japan theme park I pointed out did not fail because of EPE-it failed because the investors said they could easily get financing to build the park and to license the Elvis image from EPE-the investors failed.
    95% of things announced by EPE are carried thru in one form or another, and like all companies they have things which do not pan out.
    As I said, I will gladly give them a pass on a lot of things.....they inherited next to nothing of creative content, and the will instructed them to "grow and protect the estate" it did not specify "How to grow the estate" it did not say "do not sell key chains, towels, commermorative plates, tours of the house, planes, rings, watches, curtains, glasses etc" (because they all has been sold while he was alive) ...once again this was Elvis Aaron Presleys legal and binding will for the protection of his daughers financial future. EPE did not arise into being like CKX, or Apollo-it is in existence because the will set a course and the probate judge enforced the will-even to the point of recommending that Graceland be opened in order to "grow and protect the estate"

Hugely differing circumstance that I feel strongly are brushed aside, or overlooked too often.
    When Elvis was alive it would have been a simple matter to make sure of some level of ownership for the music and films (especially after 1960)
    but that was not done-after Elvis died the idea of somehow buying these things became almost impossible because after his death they became priceless....much like works of art by people like Van Gogh or Rembrandt.
    EPE is not responsible for this situation and has little chance of ever changing it-they are left with what they have.
    But thats how it is
    I have to disagree with EPE being limited. What EPE should have done from the beginning was focus from the start on getting the music and movie rights, purchasing the land directly next to Graceland and invest on building the visitors center there instead of investing in a strip mall and putting everything across the street. That way they would have saved a fortune on gas cost for the shuttle buses they use daily. Imagine how much they could have saved on annual gas purchasing. Add in the fact that they could have used future funding off of tours and merchandise sales to invest in building a top quality hotel. Instead, EPE spent all of its earning on coming up with tacky merchandise and invested in low price renovations, adding to the strip mall, buying out a motel and tried to turn it into a classy hotel which failed. Then waited 20 some years before beginning to purchase land that should have been already owned by the estate. This was poor leadership, visionary, and master planning for the future. This is why many have criticized Soden for his poor decision making and lack of vision. You watch, when Soden retires (and that could be sooner than later, he's already 64) there will be changes within the way EPE is ran. That's assuming they hire someone with vision and creativity. Simon Fuller would be the ideal replacement, but I don't see that happening.

Let's face it. EPE has done a poor job with such a popular attraction. Thus Graceland being in such a dire situation these days with needing all new facilities and a new hotel.

Coming On Strong

joan deary always told us when she came in convention in montreal (canada) that they wanted to do a show from vegas and the other possibility was that elvis would go on tour and then choose a location to shoot the special.
    steve grayson

Quote Originally Posted by steve grayson View Post
    joan deary always told us when she came in convention in montreal (canada) that they wanted to do a show from vegas and the other possibility was that elvis would go on tour and then choose a location to shoot the special.
    steve grayson
    Interesting. See, you learn new things everyday.