Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTD's ... to many ... to soon ?

FTD's ... to many ... to soon ?

Owing to recent comments about poor sound and packaging on recent FTD's... it prompts me to ask the ? ....do you think they are rushing to many projects out just to make release dates ? .... without enough care being taken on the no.1 priority ... SOUND .
    When the FTD catalogue started , i think we were all impressed with the great sound and look of the offerings but now i get the feeling people are thinking " o here comes another one ! " simply because some of these releases are no better than some already available great sounding BOOTS ...... SO SHOULD THEY RELEASE FEWER ...and focus on a better all round package ?

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    To be honoust: I don't really care if the shows or outtakes on FTD are of the best soundquality. But I think that the re-releases of the soundtracks should be of the best quality possible. These soundtracks aren't in the normal stores anymore (the double features series has been deleted). So these re-releases on FTD's are the only change to have the soundtracks.

Soundwhise many of the soundtracks are quite dissapointing. A few have fantastic soundquality, most have average and a few even 'bad'.

I would like to have the soundtrack FTD's complete as soon as possible, but shouldn't be on the expensive of the soundquality. If I had the choice, I'd rather have the soundtracks complete next year and do it one year without liveshows and outtakes (that we're already getting on the soundtracks).
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

I have zero complaints against the FTD Label & all of their releases to date. Have bought all, minus one (already have multiple copies in better quality on boot). Considering the alternative - minimal or no releases ................. I'm glad for each & every single one made available. Many are easy to see what they will become in the coming years - essential classic releases & highly sought after.

Honestly couldn't care less about the packaging / covers. Have no issues with the sound quality either (some are outstanding, while others are to be as expected); I am not an audiophile.

On the whole, I give the FTD Label a solid "A" for their work (then again, I'm a simple fan, pretty easy to please in this department, & appreciative in the sense that I remember very well what it was like to live with the alternative).

- Capt. "EL."

PS - Once the label is history, the prices on the secondary market for FTD's will soar.

TCB Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    I have zero complaints against the FTD Label & all of their releases to date. Have bought all, minus one (already have multiple copies in better quality on boot). Considering the alternative - minimal or no releases ................. I'm glad for each & every single one made available. Many are easy to see what they will become in the coming years - essential classic releases & highly sought after.

Honestly couldn't care less about the packaging / covers. Have no issues with the sound quality either (some are outstanding, while others are to be as expected); I am not an audiophile.

On the whole, I give the FTD Label a solid "A" for their work (then again, I'm a simple fan, pretty easy to please in this department, & appreciative in the sense that I remember very well what it was like to live with the alternative).

- Capt. "EL."

PS - Once the label is history, the prices on the secondary market for FTD's will soar.
    Could not have put it any better Capt. Agree totally
    TCB Chris.

---------------------------------------

Backstage Pass
    I really and truly appreciate the FTD label and all it has accomplished but...I really dislike the quality of FTD's Follow That Dream; we pay too much money for the sound to be that bad. But the packaging of the Sound tracks in my opinion is GREAT! As for the regular FTD's, as long as the sound is the best that it can be...then I am satisfied with all but the hefty price tag which really hurts.

International Level
    I am going to try to buy all ftd cds.
    when they frist came out i was buying them and i do love them very much
    but when i lost my job in 2001, i to sale every elvis cd i had, so now i have a good job now, and i am going back into ftd cds, i also did had some very good boot cds, but to me i will be getting the ftds, even the ones i had before, so i am way way behind on my elvis ftds cds.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

Steve
    What You Think About This????????

Here is the latest update on the Follow That Dream release classic reissue series. The series continues with ?Elvis is Back!? (Release Date: March 1, 2005) and ?Today? (Release Date: April 1, 2005) 1/6/2005

In addition to its regular quarterly releases of collectors? material, Follow That Dream Records regularly reissues Elvis movie soundtrack albums and classic Elvis albums that are no longer part of the mainstream Sony/BMG (RCA Records label) catalog. Next in their series of ?classic album? reissues are the 1960 album Elvis Is Back! (Release Date: March 1, 2005) and the 1975 album Today (Release Date: April 1, 2005).

FTD Records will release a 2-CD version of Elvis is Back! in the customary 7? format. There is a very limited number of previously unreleased outtakes on the studio albums, hence the 2CD solution ? combining all previously released versions ? masters and outtakes.

Today will receive the same treatment. Since many of the studio albums have been deleted by SONY/BMG, it?s FTD?s mission to make sure that the material is still available, in order to keep Elvis?s recorded legacy intact.

Following are the track listings for both albums:

ELVIS IS BACK!

(An * indicates previously unreleased take.)

DISC 1

From the Original Album Release:

Make Me Know It ; Fever ; The Girl Of My Best Friend ;I Will Be Home Again ; Dirty, Dirty Feeling ; The Thrill Of You Love ; Soldier Boy ; Such A Night ; It Feels So Right ; Girl Next Door Went A?Walking ; Like A Baby ; Reconsider Baby ;

The Original Singles Released from the Sessions:

Stuck On You ; Fame And Fortune ; It?s Now Or Never ; A Mess Of Blues ; Are You Lonesome Tonight? ; I Gotta Know (including Take 1*) ; Alternate Takes: Make Me Know It (Take 1) ; Fever (Take 1) ; The Girl Of My Best Friend (Take 3) ; Soldier Boy (Take 1) ; Such a Night (Take 1) ; It Feels So Right (Take 1) ; Stuck on You (Take 1) ; Fame And Fortune (Take 2) ; It?s Now Or Never (Take 1) ; Are You Lonesome Tonight (Takes 1,2)

DISC 2

The March Session:

Make Me Know It (Take 3) ; Make Me Know It (Takes 9*,10*,11) ; Make Me Know It (Takes 17,18) ; Soldier Boy (Takes 2*,3*,7) ; Soldier Boy (Takes 9*,10) ; Stuck On You (Takes 1-FS, 2) ; Fame And Fortune (Takes 4*,5) ; A Mess Of Blues (Take 1) ; A Mess Of Blues (Takes 2*,3*) ; It Feels So Right (Take 2) ; It Feels So Right (Takes 4*,3) ; The April Session: Fever (Takes 2*,3*-?f---? at end taken out) ;Like A Baby (Take 1-FS/BD*) ; Like A Baby (Take 2) ; Like A Baby (Takes 3,4*) ; It?s Now Or Never (Take 2) ; It?s Now or Never (Takes 3,4*) ; Girl Of My Best Friend (Takes 2*,4*,5*,6) ; Girl Of My Best Friend (Take 9) ; Dirty, Dirty Feeling (Take 1) ; Dirty, Dirty Feeling (Takes 2*,3*-sp last chord from 4/m) ; Thrill Of Your Love (Takes 1,2*,1-PB) ; Such A Night (Takes 2,3,4*/5-sp) ; Girl Next Door Went A?Walking (Takes 1,2,3) ; Are You Lonesome Tonight (Takes 4*-FS,3*, wp 1/2-sp*)

TODAY

DISC 1

T-R-O-U-B-L-E ; And I Love You So ; Susan When She Tried ; Woman Without Love ; Shake A Hand ; Pieces Of My Life ; Fairytale ; I Can Help ; Bringin? It Back ; Green, Green Grass Of Home ; Outtakes: ; Tiger Man ; And I Love You So - take 2 ; Pieces Of My Life ? take 1; Fairytale - takes 1,2 ; Bringin? It Back - take 1 ; Green, Green Grass Of Home - take 1 ; Shake A Hand - take 1 ; Susan When She Tried - take 3 ; Pieces Of My Life - takes 2,3 ; And I Love You So - take 3 3:43

DISC 2

Original Session Mixes:

Fairytale ; Green, Green Grass Of Home ; I Can Help ; And I Love You So ; Susan When She Tried ; T-R-O-U-B-L-E ; Woman Without Love ; Shake A Hand ; Bringin? It Back ; Pieces Of My Life ; 6363 Sunset Material: Green, Green Grass Of Home - takes 2,3 ; Susan When She Tried - takes 1,2 ;And I Love You So - take 1 ;Bringin? It Back - takes 2,3 ;T-R-O-U-B-L-E - take 1; Shake A Hand - take 2

Source: EPE / updated: January 06, 2005

"I think This is rip off, ok for the Alt. takes but dont release them like This"

Steve

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    Steve, I think it's a great format. It makes them the ultimate releases for the featured material.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

As a collector of the FTD releases I have never missed one. But it is difficult to keep up with the speed as far as the money goes. That you have to find $50.00 because two are released at once or as with my last order for On Tour- Kid galahad- and Follow That Dream, it was even more $$$$.

Sure I could wait - but I have never been a "wait 'till you can afford it" kind of collector...
    It was the same with the DVD movie releases - nothing for a while and then 6 at once..Oh my!!!
    As far as the quality of the FTD's are concerned I really can't complain. I don't have the latest three in my hands yet so I can't comment on the Follow That Dream disc - but I trust that they will use the best source available to them. and that's all we can ask!
    I hope they continue for years to come...and I hope my wallet can take it.

A Man Is Never Dead, Until He Is Forgotten.... (h)

Reactions - epecially criticism - such as Steve's are far too premature on the above releases.

-------------------------

I agree with others who state that these upcoming releases sound g-r-e-a-t!

IMO, ..... much of the criticism is coming either from those who simply have not (or are not old enough to know / remember) lived with the alternative (that I mentioned in my earlier post), are simply spoiled, or both.

-------------------------

Generally speaking:

If one doesn't want a release (or feels some are "rip-offs"), simply do not buy them ......... & wait for the next one that - hopefully - meets with your approval. In the meantime, let those that want it & appreciate it, ....... buy & enjoy.

I agree that FTD's have become a bit pricey, but one should keep in mind that if they are this much now -----> they are unlikely to be had for cheaper in the coming years as titles become unavailable or things change with the label.

- Capt. "EL."

I think this highlights the point i was making beautifully too much too soon ... and like some people have have said its hard to be able to keep up and afford them !
    As far as the releases go .... i do have the Elvis is Back sessions (2cd) as a boot which i think is a great job as it is .... so i think ill stick with that.
    But a different story with the Today album ... for me thats a magical album and to have an official version of that .... AWESOME ... JUST HOPE THEY GIVE IT THE TREATMENT IT DESERVES !

I totally agree with that last point, Denny, and am confident that they will.

I also empathize with not being able to keep up with the release schedule, but that doesn't mean I'm not glad they are available. Besides, it's fun playing catch-up.

Well said Bobby ... the thought of the Today release is just getting too much ... i think i need a lie down.

I love the Ftd releases and I'm happy with the quality. For my wallet there are too many releases, but I buy the ones I want 'directly' and save for the others. It is nice looking forward to something.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar
    ERNST LOVES US!!!!

I was SO thrilled to see that my favorite Elvis album ELVIS - TODAY would be released in the special 7 inch format on April 1st!!!

FINALLY...we get to hear the ORIGINAL MIX for each song without the overdubbed material!! I CANNOT WAIT!!! In fact....I think I'm going to go pitch a tent outside next to my mailbox so that I can be on the lookout for the mailman!! Yes it's January 12, but I don't want to miss him!!!

THANK YOU ERNST!!!!

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

The original mix ! thats awesome Mike .... but April1st wouldnt be a cruel joke would it ? ..... sure hope not.
    Have any of the originals been released before ... as a boot maybe ?
    im thinking of Bringing it back + Way down sessions .... im hoping not but even so im sure Ernsts releases will blow them away

I hope it's not a cruel joke DennyElvis....but I've seen the information on several websites including EPE's official FTD page, so I am guessing that this is genuine!! And as I said above, I CANNOT WAIT!!!!

I know the TODAY tracks have been released before on bootlegs SUPPOSEDLY in their original undubbed form...but after listening to these tracks, on the YESTERDAY/TODAY bootleg most notably, I am skeptical as to whether they were the actual undubbed recordings or whether they were taken from the original album and "doctored" up to sound like they were undubbed! Regardless, it will be SO EXCITING to finally have the original mix of each song, so that we can hear how Elvis truly wanted the songs to sound (how he heard them in the studio) before they were overdubbed!!

One thing I was a little disappointed about regarding the TODAY reissue on FTD is that there aren't going to be any other previously unreleased outtakes of the songs, aside from the original mixes. According to the news on EPE's website, there are no other previously unheard outtakes to be included on the FTD release. So that must mean we have them all now??

Nevertheless....I am THRILLED that Ernst has listened to the fans and will be releasing the TODAY album in April!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Mike, I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by jungleroom76
    ...there are no other previously unheard outtakes to be included on the FTD release...
    Do you mean other than the ones already named? Aren't about half of them previously unreleased? Or are you saying there will be no usable takes left in the can after this release (which I would assume is true since we are getting some previously released outtakes on it)?

Or am I just not recognizing some of the above-named tracks as having escaped before?

Sorry to be so .

Sorry to be so confusing pal...

What I meant to say was that there won't be any new outtakes that we haven't already heard! All of the outtakes that they are including on the new TODAY reissue are ones that have been already released on various albums (6363 SUNSET, GREAT COUNTRY SONGS, CLOSE UP, etc.).

Based on the fact that there won't be any new outtakes on the CD that haven't already been released, I an guessing that there are no more usable outtakes left in the vaults.

Does this clear it up for you pal??

Sorry again for being so confusing...

TCB!
    Mike

I see. No, you weren't confusing (except for the mention of Close Up ); I just didn't recognize all of those as being previously released. My mistake.

I'm still very excited about this one though.

Am I correct to interpret 'original session mixes' as undubbed masters? Between those and the new mixes, whew! Both are something I have been wanting to hear for quite some time. Either would have been great, but getting both of them is fantastic!

Then having all the outtakes together on one release is just a nice bonus.
    Last edited by Lonniebealestreet; 01-19-2005 at 11:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast