Thread: So, Justin Beiber's an Elvis fan

So, Justin Beiber's an Elvis fan

This definitely helps our man with the kiddies seeing the most popular teenager on the planet wearing an Elvis t-shirt. Cool! He still can't carry Elvis' jock strap.

http://www.elvis.com/news/detail.aspx?id=5376

Re: So, Justin Beiber's an Elvis fan

Boy that will really send Elvis's stock up-
    With a little more discerning listeners that may actually send his stock down
    Work in Progress!

Hey be careful.
    Meaningful text or musical artisanship are not an issue.
    Justin Bieber is new & making money.
    Therefore you should all worship him.

With a little more discerning listeners that may actually send his stock down

And how do you rate Lady Gaga or Robbie Williams? Thought they are Elvis-fans too.. and Helmut Lotti.. and Cliff Richard..
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

all the goons I left behind, memories still linger..

Lady Gaga-hype-splash-glitter-thats my opinion of her.
    I like Robbie Williams. I have never liked much Cliff Richard, but he has talent.
    Helmut Lotti I must confess I have no clue about.
    Work in Progress!

Lady Gaga...same opinion as Ken
    Robbie Williams...okay, nothing special
    Cliff Richard....I have an old vinyl album of his that I enjoyed...no so much his later works.
    Helmut Lotti...good voice, but not something I'd listen to a lot.

Justin Beiber...a cute kid with a good voice that we won't see in ten years.

Lady Gaga...something new and pretty brave to. i'm a rebel at heart so me likes
    Robbie Williams...great voice and some very good songs
    Cliff Richard.... more than ok but not a fab one
    Helmut Lotti...real good voice!

Justin Beiber...hmm well i think he's alright... nothing glorious tho
    "you don't know it until it hits you"

you're the tea in my coffee - i'm the coke in yer choc

Right now he's the stuff to teen girls and that can only help the image of Elvis with those girls.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

I saw this article: http://www.toronto.com/article/68113...nnon-not-elvis

and I sent in this letter to the editor:

bad advice

Elvis made a lot more movies and was in the 1960's the highest paid actor in hollywood

Elvis' movies were one of the most successful formulas, and light musical comedies that are family friendly were a smart strategy because it means that they have a long shelf life.

Elvis didn't make art movies, he made popcorn movies

and popcorn movies hold up under repeated viewings.

Elvis is the template for rock star turn movie stars.

JB would be lucky to have half the career that Elvis did

I don't know if they ran it, I didn't get a confirmation call. But not all papers do that anymore.
    _________
    there is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Nina's Elvis blogs: http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/elvis-index/

Okay, I think I'll stay neutral about this. Never been a fan of Justin's music, actually I haven't really explored his music (I only know one song, I think) and I am really not interested in listening to more of it. That makes me irrelevant on this subject. If he's a fan of Elvis - well, good for him, there's a lot that can be learned from Elvis, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's good news for Elvis' legacy.

Justin is just the latest Fabian - the only thing that made me notice, is that he is a fellow Canadian.

But, he's no Elvis - his music is over produced - the boy version of Tiffany - remember that one hit wonder from the late 80's?

I was actually appalled that the week that Liz Taylor died, there was an all Justin magazine on the stands proclaiming him a superstar

remember when that was reserved for people who'd lasted more than 2 decades and spanned generations of fans?

not highly packaged and sanitized kids with no assured lasting power
    _________
    there is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Nina's Elvis blogs: http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/elvis-index/

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    remember when that was reserved for people who'd lasted more than 2 decades and spanned generations of fans? Not highly packaged and sanitized kids with no assured lasting power
    It seems the 12yo girls like the pussy-boy kind of type. It doesn't concern sexual orientation, the pussy boy is just a bit of a lapdog.
    A few years ago I had the taste many 12yo girls seem to have. After a while the athletic type becomes somewhat more appealing; but it has to remain cuddly though.

Just glad to read all your opinions on different artists mentioned above! Perhaps sometime a big name like David Hasselhoff might acknowledge being Elvis-minded?
    No doubt that the biggest more recent voices such as Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey and Celine Dion should enjoy his music too.

What amazes me though - and I don't even know his music or voice - is that Justin is known all over the world. Whatever Billy tried didn't work (not even in the US), and when he was a child star he was supposed to be in the league of Michael Jackson, you know?
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 04-19-2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: heeey spetter!
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/999022_359272057534723_1223625887_n.jpg

Maybe the "Colonel" was resurrected and is secretly mananging Justin? There's an awful lot of hype about him as there was for Elvis.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Maybe the "Colonel" was resurrected and is secretly mananging Justin? There's an awful lot of hype about him as there was for Elvis.

I don't know why, but I have a hunch that Justin's career won't last long. Unlike Elvis', that thanks to his great talent managed to linger through the decades. I think that the Colonel was very well aware of the talent that Elvis possessed and that's probably why he never even thought of giving up of his managing function.
    And I am skeptical that it will be the same with Justin's case.

I think you're right, Justin may not be around in the spotlight long but he's so young and to me that lifestyle is not healthy for someone that young. So many of them have their lives ruined by it...drugs, alcohol etc. He should be out having a good normal life with friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    He should be out having a good normal life with friends and family.
    I understand some may see him as being more important than the royal family.. (more important is: how does he regard himself?)
    Which reminds me - how would you fans appreciate Prince William being an Elvis-fan? (Great-Britain is supposed to be somewhat pro-Elvis.)

Could be acts like Justin fade away, where he may enjoy the celebrity life and publicity. Elvis' music lives on - and he didn't like it.

The question itself worries me as much as wondering if Britney Spears may send Elvis into oblivion. When musicians die, the majority forgets it and a loyal core remains. That is why Elvis-mania isn't the same now as it was compared to 1956. Guess you members here are that loyal core!
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 04-20-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: divertemente

Yeah, we are the loyal core but odds are Britney will send herself into oblivion and won't be remembered over 30 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticSun View Post
    I understand some may see him as being more important than the royal family.. (more important is: how does he regard himself?)
    Which reminds me - how would you fans appreciate Prince William being an Elvis-fan? (Great-Britain is supposed to be somewhat pro-Elvis.)

Could be acts like Justin fade away, where he may enjoy the celebrity life and publicity. Elvis' music lives on - and he didn't like it.

The question itself worries me as much as wondering if Britney Spears may send Elvis into oblivion. When musicians die, the majority forgets it and a loyal core remains. That is why Elvis-mania isn't the same now as it was compared to 1956. Guess you members here are that loyal core!
    I don't think Justin has realized just yet what being famous really means.
    As for Britney, I agree with Diane; I don't think her career will have the same destiny as Elvis', that is to be still relevant after so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post
    I don't think Justin has realized just yet what being famous really means.
    Who does? LOL

As for Britney - she's a product of her time. I don't have cause to worry about any record held by Elvis - the music speaks for itself..
    (even if, say, president Obama would start a singing career to break every record, it doesn't change a thing)

Do you btw think that the average level in music and human creativity is the same as 50 years ago?

Carter Family - Dixie Chicks
    Hank Snow - Garth Brooks

Is it all just the same?
    (of course you could come up with non-C&W examples as well)
    Last edited by EnigmaticSun; 04-20-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: djambo bwana

Who does? LOL
    I guess you're right..There are some though, that serve for an example of people who have learned how to cope with it over the time.
    What I really meant is that Justin probably still hasn't experienced the responsibilities that go arm in arm with fame itself.

As for Britney - she's a product of her time. I don't have cause to worry about any record held by Elvis - the music speaks for itself..
    (even if, say, president Obama would start a singing career to break every record, it doesn't change a thing)
    They are all a product of a certain time, but only some of them succeed to become timeless. And Britney is not one of them IMHO.
    I don't really care for charts and records myself and I tend not to see every other artist as a threat to Elvis.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marijaep View Post
    I don't really care for charts and records myself and I tend not to see every other artist as a threat to Elvis.
    Same opinion here.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977