Thread: Big Boss Man on Moody Blue album

Big Boss Man on Moody Blue album

Why was the live recording of Big Boss Man not included on the Moody Blue album? That would have added an up tempo rock track instead of the rehashed Let Me Be There which was already available on the Live On Stage In Memphis album. Strange decision by RCA at the time, don't you think?

Re: Big Boss Man on Moody Blue album

RCA, back in the 70's did not make strange decisions, they made of "always the most stupid" their decision of chooice.

There would have been some logic in including a live Moody Blue. I know they were short of material but splitting the album into half studio/half liver and making it a 12-track album would have made more sense

Well maybe they were thinking of releasing another album of live cuts since Elvis was not recording regularly)(if they needed to do so) perhaps 8-19-74 was considered since it does have quite a departure from the usual live set list. Big Boss Man opened the 8-19-74 show.
    Thats just a guess.
    Work in Progress!

If only true Elvis fans were making the decisions back then and today.
    VIVA ELVIS POR SIEMPRE

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Well maybe they were thinking of releasing another album of live cuts since Elvis was not recording regularly)(if they needed to do so) perhaps 8-19-74 was considered since it does have quite a departure from the usual live set list. Big Boss Man opened the 8-19-74 show.
    Thats just a guess.
    I don't think so. Elvis' next album/recording session was to be in October or November of '77 in Los Angeles, according to GK. I can understand them not wanting to use a song that already existed live on record, but Big Boss Man was never officially recorded live until April 1977. That was when the live recordings were made for Moody Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    If only Elvis would have had been given the proper treatment back then and today.
    I fixed it for you.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

Moody Blue is kinda like Love Letters (1970) and Elvis Now: it's a compilations of left-overs that didn't fit a previous release. It doesn't mean that the songs are bad, but the album isn't a coherent selection of songs.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Given the obvious lack of desire to record any studio material on Elvis' part, I have to agree with rickb that turning the MOODY BLUE album into a half studio/half live album would have definitely made more sense.

And while I agree with Albert's assessment that MOODY BLUE is much like LOVE LETTERS and ELVIS NOW, I really think that the MOODY BLUE album is considered in that same hodge podge category simply because of Elvis' lack of desire to record anything else at the time. If Elvis had actually recorded more material to complete the MOODY BLUE album, I suspect we'd have had an album which would have been much in the same vein as FROM EP BLVD. But because Elvis simply didn't want to record anything new, the MOODY BLUE album wound up being the hodge podge album that it became. Does that make sense??

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    I don't think so. Elvis' next album/recording session was to be in October or November of '77 in Los Angeles, according to GK. I can understand them not wanting to use a song that already existed live on record, but Big Boss Man was never officially recorded live until April 1977. That was when the live recordings were made for Moody Blue.
    Well as we all know Elvis had a way of -"not doing the things he was suppose to do" .....Felton Jarvis was recording live shows because Elvis was not fullfilling his contract for recordings and RCA was becoming slightly impatient about the hesitation Elvis was showing to his recording career, they hoped to get live cuts of "anything new" to release if necessary.
    And indeed it was necessary. Even though Let Me Be There was already on LOSIM-when you have very few new recordings you just "fill the time" and rely on fans to buy.
    As I said its just a guess......these type questions are really just a guess on anyones part.
    Work in Progress!