Thread: What is it about Elvis' voice? Why is he your fave singer?

International Level spanish eyes's Avatar

What is it about Elvis' voice? Why is he your fave singer?

For me its the way he believes in what he's singing and he puts his heart and soul into the lyrics, he feels every word he sings and cos he does this he touches my heart and soul.

I was just wondering what makes his voice special to you
    You ask how long I love you, I'll tell you true,
    until the Twelfth of Never, I'll still be loving you

LIF

Re: What is it about Elvis' voice? Why is he your fave singer?

No need for my answer, you've done it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by spanish eyes View Post
    For me its the way he believes in what he's singing and he puts his heart and soul into the lyrics, he feels every word he sings and cos he does this he touches my heart and soul.

It is what you have said and just the sound of his voice. I can't expand on that any further other than to say the sound and quality of his singing voice really gets to me. Then there's all the rest, beyond the music - the man.
    That aint tactics honey....that's just the beast in me.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/GeordieBroon/elvisheader.jpg

Elvis PRESLEY:The most important, most influential artist of the 20th century. b. 8 Jan 1935, Mississippi, US, d. 16 Aug 1977. He holds, or has held, almost every chart-related record including perhaps the most important: more No.1s than any act in chart history.

International Level Tigerman1975's Avatar

His voice was smooth as silk. It had a way of making you believe that meant every word he said.
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands.

Like everyone else, his voice reaches deep inside of me.

When he sang it was like he was singing it only to you and for you, And that's what makes him so
    Unique in my eyes. No Other Singer Could ever touch me like that. . . Ever!

Quote Originally Posted by spanish eyes View Post

You said it beautifully Maria!! I feel the same, beside he had a wonderful bariton voice, he put his whole heart and soul into the songs and he filled the songs with emotions like noone was able to do it. And of course beside that he was a beautiful man! Jerry Scheff, his bass guitarist told about him:

"Elvis was a true musician and a true vocalist, when he sang, I really believe that the lyrics went through his mind, through his heart and than came out his mouth."

I LOVE
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    ♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ [̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅L̲̅][̲̅̅V̲̅][̲̅̅I̲​̅][̲̅̅S̲̅] [̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅S̲​̅][̲̅̅L̲̅[̲̅̅E̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

My page on YouTube and on MyElvisWorld:
    http://www.youtube.com/cibetty, http://www.myelvisworld.com/cibetty

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

It's his variety in styles: his catalogue IS the American songbook. And he had such an amazing voice that matches the songs that he sung and changed over the years. Compare his voice with Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra or Tom Jones: all great singers and icons, but their voices changed very little over the years, and was used more or less the same with every song.

His movies, bigger than life persona and the fact that he paved the road for the modern music industry doesn't hurt his status either
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Quote Originally Posted by cibetty View Post
    You said it beautifully Maria!! I feel the same, beside he had a wonderful bariton voice, he put his whole heart and soul into the songs and he filled the songs with emotions like noone was able to do it. And of course beside that he was a beautiful man! Jerry Scheff, his bass guitarist told about him:

"Elvis was a true musician and a true vocalist, when he sang, I really believe that the lyrics went through his mind, through his heart and than came out his mouth."

Thanks Betti I liked the way Elvis knew exactly how he wanted a song to sound. The sound was in his mind first then he would relay it through his mouth to his band and backing singers. Sometimes I would watch him and see his frustration cos the song didn't quite fit with what was in his mind so he would keep going until the song played outloud the same way it did in his mind.

No matter how focussed he was on his singing, he was also aware of everything his band was playing, like he heard every individual instrument playing each individual note and if there was a single note slightly out of tempo from any one instrument he would hear it.
    Last edited by spanish eyes; 03-29-2011 at 05:49 AM.

LIF

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1966 View Post
    When he sang it was like he was singing it only to you and for you, And that's what makes him so
    Unique in my eyes. No Other Singer Could ever touch me like that. . . Ever!

Yeah Jimmy he did, there was something else to, let me know if any of you guys think this too........... when Elvis was on stage each fan in the audience would give him their love, each individual fan would give him their love and Elvis would give his love the same way back to them as an individual not as a whole audience. I always found that amazing the way he could give his love to thousands of people on an individual basis, IMO that's why when he sings, it feels like he sings to you and for you only.
    Last edited by spanish eyes; 03-29-2011 at 05:50 AM.

LIF

I love his voice for so many reasons, but mainly it's his vibrato and pronunciation of words. I also love the way he definitely KNEW what he was singing, he didn't just sing the song. You see him on stage thinking every word. Many singers, especially today, just sing the words and it leaves a cold impersonal feeling.

To summarize, his voice is like black leather. Thick, strong, long, aromatic, and so smooth. Any style of song, any key, any pitch, it was still persistent and smooth to listen to, even his '68 husky rocker voice! It's impossible to describe, to be honest.

EDIT: Just read the thread thru now, and I see I am not the only one who noted strongly Elvis truly knew what he was singing and processed the words in his mind and his heart. Yeah, it always strikes me so I'm glad so many others notice ... his eyes are really thinking when you see him sing in concert footage, especially ALOHA and the '77 CBS.

his voice and songs over the years are so diverse, you cannot get fed up with the wide choices he gave us.............a voice that melts straight to your heart
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

His voice touches my soul, my heart-sounds corny but thats it.
    Work in Progress!

I like to think that god sent us his favourite singing angel, just to let us have a sound of heaven if only just
    for the short time that we had him with us.
    At Least WE All now know what An Angel Sounds Like Now.

I agree with what you all have said here about his voice and its effect on you . I read somewhere that his voice is like a crashed velvet and I think it's a very suitable description. He acted on gut instinct and expressed himself by the way he held the microphone, by the way he moved his hips, by the way that he sang down the microphone That was his genius .elvis Presley could say more in a single performance of somebody else's song than anyone could say in an entire book.The following assessment comes from Myrna Smith, member of the vocal group the Sweet Inspirations, who performed with Presley for a number of years during the last phase of his career. Smith has also performed with Aretha Franklin and other exceptional vocalists.

'When Elvis was in true form, he was fabulous. He had so much energy.His voice was a lot more remarkable than it ever came of on record, and his vocal pitch was much better than it came of on record. He was just a much better singer than could ever be captured. There are a lot of singers like that: You can't capture truly what they sound like. Some great singers' voices are just too big. Elvis was like that'
    New Zealand soprano Kiri Te Kanawa about the greatest voice she'd ever heard, probably expecting her to name Luciano Pavarotti or Maria Callas, but she said: 'The young Elvis Presley, without any doubt'.

He was the firstest with the mostest.

Quote Originally Posted by mistymorning View Post
    I agree with what you all have said here about his voice and its effect on you . I read somewhere that his voice is like a crashed velvet and I think it's a very suitable description. He acted on gut instinct and expressed himself by the way he held the microphone, by the way he moved his hips, by the way that he sang down the microphone That was his genius .elvis Presley could say more in a single performance of somebody else's song than anyone could say in an entire book.The following assessment comes from Myrna Smith, member of the vocal group the Sweet Inspirations, who performed with Presley for a number of years during the last phase of his career. Smith has also performed with Aretha Franklin and other exceptional vocalists.

'When Elvis was in true form, he was fabulous. He had so much energy.His voice was a lot more remarkable than it ever came of on record, and his vocal pitch was much better than it came of on record. He was just a much better singer than could ever be captured. There are a lot of singers like that: You can't capture truly what they sound like. Some great singers' voices are just too big. Elvis was like that'
    New Zealand soprano Kiri Te Kanawa about the greatest voice she'd ever heard, probably expecting her to name Luciano Pavarotti or Maria Callas, but she said: 'The young Elvis Presley, without any doubt'.
    Well said Shani. I remember reading this statement from our Dame Kiri. I too was surprised at what she said. I felt good when she said this as I always felt Elvis never got the true recognition he deserved from his peers. To have this come from someone of such high esteem as her confirmed what we Elvis fans always new.
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif

This is why I love his voice, his ability to make you believe the words and the story in the song was happening to him. This song below is my favorite right now.

he is unique, Soulful and Original, i think we all will notice it was Elvis on the radio before the DJ told you it was him singing .

Backstage Pass

What made him great was he sounded amazing regardless of the genre and style of music he was singing. A lot of the voices in popular music only sound great in one genre. Elvis was successful in so many different styles of music which I think highlights how special his voice was. Many other great singers could probably do well singing in multiple styles of music but their image or narrow music taste restricts them from doing so. Elvis's music can suit whatever mood you happen to be in.
    Last edited by Steamroller Blues; 04-02-2011 at 04:19 AM.