Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis In Concert-one time only tv special or dvd for 2012?

Elvis In Concert-one time only tv special or dvd for 2012?

Do you think that EPE should consider putting the best of the Omaha and Rapid City concerts filmed by CBS into a one time only tv special in 2012 or release a dvd for the 35th anniversary? I'm not a fan of this footage being commercially released but, I do think that the outtakes would be appealing to the collectors and some new fans who weren't around back then. If they did consider it, they would definitely need to edit it and remove the bad parts, like the struggling to I Got A Woman and the band intros and use angles that don't show his weight from the side.

There are some nice performances from these shows that show that he still had some magic left prior to his death.

Re: Elvis In Concert-one time only tv special or dvd for 2012?

Showing that on TV would be a mistake from my point of view. Show Elvis in his prime to the world outside his fans.

Release the CBS special plus outtakes as a DVD with remastered sound and image ONLY for the fans via FTD, definetively. Its about time to release is it. (Anyway I don't see FTD working with video anytime soon, and next year would be busy for Sony with the Elvis on Tour and the MSG gigs aniversary, well, hopefuly)

Let me just say that I don't think it will happen but was just something I was thinking about if it did. I would say a dvd would be best.

they missed the boat - they should buy the materials and re-release the Final Curtain officially

they have no leg to stand on by suppressing it and pretending it doesn't exist and then trying to punish the folks who are giving the fans what they want

it is really not as bad as they make out and by suppressing it, make it seem even worse
    _________
    there is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Nina's Elvis blogs: http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/elvis-index/

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Release the CBS special plus outtakes as a DVD with remastered sound and image ONLY for the fans via FTD, definitively. Its about time to release is it. (Anyway I don't see FTD working with video anytime soon, and next year would be busy for Sony with the Elvis on Tour and the MSG gigs anniversary, well, hopefully)
    That would most certainly be the way to go for sure!! By releasing EIC and the outtakes on FTD, the footage would only be available to the diehard fans and not to the general public, as EPE claims as one of the main reasons why they choose not to officially release it.

But as you said, with EOT and MSG both celebrating anniversaries next year, I would suspect those will be getting a majority of the attention from both the FTD label as well as the mainstream Sony/RCA label.

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    they missed the boat - they should buy the materials and re-release the Final Curtain officially

they have no leg to stand on by suppressing it and pretending it doesn't exist and then trying to punish the folks who are giving the fans what they want

it is really not as bad as they make out and by suppressing it, make it seem even worse
    All good points monk37!!

Yes, there are clearly moments on both audio and video in the FINAL CURTAIN set which are difficult to watch/listen to, but I truly believe that many people would be surprised with some of the material presented throughout that set. For instance, I mentioned in another post that I was watching some of the fan-shot 8mm. footage on one of the DVD's and Elvis performed POLK SALAD ANNIE during one of his Binghampton shows in May '77, and it was a very good performance!! Was it as physically involved as Elvis in 1970...of course not, but one has to remember while watching this footage that if you disregard Elvis' obvious health issues, the man was 42 years old and certainly couldn't be expected to move around and perform physically demanding songs like PSA as well at 42 as he could at 35 or 36 years old. So to see Elvis perform such a number like PSA and the energy he put into the performance, taking into account both his age and his declining health, is quite amazing in my opinion. This is just one example of a highlight I think people would be surprised to find if they perused the entire FC set!!

So, while I clearly agree with you that an official release along the lines of the FINAL CURTAIN set would be an excellent idea, I highly doubt we'll ever see anything like this released through official channels.

TCB!
    Mike

If he was my father, I'd have no intention to show him on a dvd in the state he was in at the time. And I certainly do understand, why EPE was hunting the guys, who produced and sold the infamous THE FINAL CURTAIN box, which included the tv special and several outtakes. I guess at some point -when everything else is released and there is still some money to be earned- EPE will release some kind of "best of" of the footage (including stuff like TRYING TO GET TO YOU, FAIRYTALE, IT'S NOW OR NEVER, etc.). But I don't think that this is anything one should expect for the near future. Up next are -as far as I have heared- blu-ray editions of the 1968 Comback and Aloha. This is footage of Elvis at his best and there's still some money to earn with the well known footage. So don't hope for an official release of ELVIS IN CONCERT.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

They should re-edit the show (remove various cuts from fans and the audience) and precede the special with a short (10 minutes) documentary that places the show and Elvis' mental and physical situation in the right perspective. Yes, it's that simple. Release it through FTD only.

The public thoughts about Elvis final two years is much worse than what the CBS special portrays
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    They should re-edit the show (remove various cuts from fans and the audience) and precede the special with a short (10 minutes) documentary that places the show and Elvis' mental and physical situation in the right perspective. Yes, it's that simple. Release it through FTD only.

The public thoughts about Elvis final two years is much worse than what the CBS special portrays
    I agree with you 100% Albert!! The idea of adding a short documentary placing the footage in the proper context is definitely a spot on idea!!

TCB!
    Mike

If the question is Would EPE consider doing this-the answer is no IMO
    Work in Progress!

I do not think this should ever be released to the general public, we as fans might look at this with love and sympathy...........the general public would love to have a pop at him.....................
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

They could always alter the footage to where it makes Elvis look thin.

I do not think think altering the special footage to make Elvis look thin is a wise idea-not even sure its technically/economically feasible.
    Plus it is not just the weight-its his manner-the mumbling weak sound of his speaking voice at times, the singing voice is fine on some numbers like Hurt, but on others his performances are very uneven.
    I do not see how this would help with the image problem-it can only hurt.IMO
    Work in Progress!

Backstage Pass

No, they should not release Elvis In Concert in any shape or form. I would love to have a remastered copy of the EIC footage but more important things are at stake. I'm sure EPE would love to release a remastered version of the material for Elvis fans as most of us have all seen the footage before, but they are afraid of the reaction they may get from the general public who are not fans and are for the first time seeking out his music.
    Even though there are a few highlights from the tapes of the Rapid & Omaho shows, it would still be the worst possible introduction to his music. I understand people will say but EIC was officially released on cd, Yes it was, but a major part of his legend is his dynamic on stage presence and 1977 was a sad joke to the image of him that we all would rather remember. For me at least the guy I see in "That's The Way It Is" I consider to be the real Elvis Aaron Presley, what I witness in EIC is someone else. I really am surprised though how long the footage from the EIC special and tapes has been up on youtube for. You would think that if they were that adamant about not releasing a EIC DVD that they would also get someone to take as many videos as possible off the net, since Youtube's audience is as big as any.

and you all wonder why they won't release it look at your selfs talking etc.

" I Just LOVE MY ELVIS !"

Totally agree, what the heck is wrong with you guys. when i first was introduced to elvis, i was actually listening to his 77 songs and i loved them then the rest came and im a big fan by now and i love the cbs special more then i do with TTWII,! u guys look at urself then u wondering why they dont release more footage from it, for you guys who actually complain about how he looked or how he mumbled sometimes, But i think elvis looks good always even in a bad shape he was class. i dont know for you guys but here is my statement

RELEASE THE CBS SPECIAL WITH ALL OUTTAKES EVERYTHING THAT IS FILMED COZ I WOULD LOVE IT! MANY OTHERS WOULD TO (Not the kinds that are looking at how he looked) and what the hell about the image
    as elvis sayd it him self

The Image is one thing, The human being another and ELVIS IS THE HUMAN! elvis aint a image elvis is elvis.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

I really hope we get a deluxe dvdset of the EOT material next year, it would easily be my favorite set if it contained all available rehearsal footage and the complete shows that were filmed for the documentary...we can dream can't we
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

it should be availbale openly as an offical release those that want a copy can legally get one and those that don't won't buy it. It's that simple really.
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

i can't see it ever being televised again but being available officialy by E.P.E and mastered by people who know what they are doing with master tapes both video and audio need a revamping . I really wish FTD would get into the dvd buisness after all this label was created for fans by fans and many fans want this in pristine quality. The final curtin set was ok but we were mislead by being told that the concert was remasterd from 1st gen tapes[blue ray quality] -not, so yes i believe something official is very welcome and needed.

It just makes no sense for the image of Elvis to release this special.
    Sure he was human, sure he was not "the image"-but haven't we seen enough of the down side to "the human being he was" in the last 34 years?
    Fans constantly complain about how he is portrayed by the public at large and press- fat, ill fitting white jumpsuits and mumbling his words.
    Some progress has been made (some) in the last ten years of building a much more even portrait of Elvis. Do we want to take away from that progress by releasing a filmed record of how he ended up? I for one do not. If TTWII was his last filmed performances-and they were holding it back- we could then truely have a gripe-but not over EIC.
    I love Elvis and his music, but was heartbroken when I watched EIC in 1977, it saddened me to think that in the 4 years since Aloha this is what he had become. Time has not changed that in my heart.
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast