Thread: Charlotte concert footage in Elvis On Tour.

Backstage Pass

Red face Charlotte concert footage in Elvis On Tour.

Hi guys,
    I am wondering if anyone knows which concerts were filmed for EOT other than the 4 shown in the film, them being:
    Hampton Roads,VA - April 9 72
    Richmond VA - April 10 72
    Greensboro NC - April 14 72
    San Antonino, TX April 18 72
    Now, there is another concert shown in the film. We see around 3 seconds of footage during the Love Me Tender scene,where Elvis leans over to kiss a girl, he is wearing the White Fireworks suit and has a blue scarf around his neck. This footage is from none of the 4 concerts i have listed above.
    In a booklet I got with my EOT dvd there is a photo included of the directors standing in front of lots of reels of film which several of them are labeled "Elvis: Charlotte" and "Elvis:Albuquerque". Elvis did wear the White Fireworks suit for the Charlotte show on April 13 72 and the Albuquerque show on April 19, so I'm guessing the short footage from LMT is from one of these 2 concerts. Have you ever spotted this before?. Please share your thoughts. Thank you.
    Last edited by Steamroller Blues; 02-24-2011 at 07:41 AM.

Re: Charlotte concert footage in Elvis On Tour.

Here is Elvis author and expert joe Tunzi's thoughts on unused footage from EOT and what may or may not be still hidden or unreleased as far as concert footage:
    QUESTION- Do you think that the unreleased filmed shows for “Elvis On Tour” in Richmond, Macon and Charlotte will ever be released? This is a crying shame that nearly 30 years since the sad passing of Elvis we still haven’t got what Elvis probably thought would be out to the fans.

Joe Tunzi: The footage from many of the cities on the April ‘72 tour was done strictly on assignment, whereas someone from the production of the film was sent with a camera to film something the producer was looking for, whether that be something as mundane as a city limits sign along the highway, interviewing a local mayor in Roanoke, entering the stage or leaving the stage, Elvis dropping down on one knee or even holding up a pair of women’s panties while on stage. A prime example of this is the sign outside the T.H. Barton Coliseum in Little Rock, Arkansas was shot but the entire show wasn’t shot. These clips were added to the shows where a good majority of the show was filmed and recorded (Hampton Roads, Richmond, Greensboro and San Antonio) to fully illustrate a sense of Elvis going from city to city.......

So perhaps the only shot from some of these concerts was just what you see in EOT.....whatever the producer had assigned for that nights taping.
    Work in Progress!

Backstage Pass

The Photo I am referring to above, can be viewed here -
    "http://dessaintes.webbuilder03.hostbasket.com/page138909.htm"

just scroll halfway down the page, you can't miss it. Has everyone seen this photo before?.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamroller Blues View Post
    The Photo I am referring to above, can be viewed here -
    "http://dessaintes.webbuilder03.hostbasket.com/page138909.htm"

just scroll halfway down the page, you can't miss it. Has everyone seen this photo before?.
    Yes I have seen the photo-but that does not mean that an entire concert was filmed in Charlotte or anywhere else-it would depend on what the producer/director wanted filmed for that assigned night. It may have been Elvis just waiting to go on stage, or hot dog vendors, or crowd scenes etc.....they have miles of film in the cans but not all of it is musical stuff.
    Work in Progress!