Thread: New Legacy release

New Legacy release

I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

Re: New Legacy release

Great to know they will keep with this reissues on the double LP format. Its the best way to keep elvis available to the new fans.

Doesn't matter we have it on FTD, FTD doesn't reach the mainstream worldwide public, its an elite thing.

I'm sure the next will be: Elvis Presley (first album) / backed with Elvis (second album).

Anyhow, as an old fan, I'm not buying this one as I haven't got From Elvis in Memphis and On Stage.

A vinyl release of this legacy reissues would be so cool. Then I'm first on line at the record shop.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 01-15-2011 at 04:13 AM.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

While I have no problem with the fact that ELVIS IS BACK! is being released to the general public, despite the fact that the FTD label has already re-issued this album (as Raised on Rock pointed out, this Legacy release is aimed at the general public while the FTD release was aimed more toward the diehard fans), my question is why did RCA/Sony choose to package the ELVIS IS BACK! album with the SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY album?? While there are certainly some great songs on the SFE album, I honestly don't see the correlation with these 2 albums in terms of being packaged together. To me, it doesn't make sense...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    While I have no problem with the fact that ELVIS IS BACK! is being released to the general public, despite the fact that the FTD label has already re-issued this album (as Raised on Rock pointed out, this Legacy release is aimed at the general public while the FTD release was aimed more toward the diehard fans), my question is why did RCA/Sony choose to package the ELVIS IS BACK! album with the SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY album?? While there are certainly some great songs on the SFE album, I honestly don't see the correlation with these 2 albums in terms of being packaged together. To me, it doesn't make sense...

TCB!
    Mike
    Well it was kind of the expected follow up to E.vis is Back! wasn't it? G.I. Blues was a soundtrack, and His Hand in Mine was a gospel release. So Something for Everybody was the next secular song collection after Elvis is Back! Both recorded at Nashville studio B, with the same backup band? (Sure, the gap over here is not as close as In Person from On Stage, and there was not a gap at all between From Elvis in Memphis and Back in Memphis).

"Something for Everybody" 1961 became a bit misunderstood, missreaded as not as exiting as Elvis is Back!, it has become one of his most underrated albums, when it is actually one of his best and most acomplished works, one that equals "Elvis is Back!" the arguably best Elvis album ever, or at least of that period in time. "Elvis is Back!" is the perfect Elvis album, showcasing each style that makes his unique sound what it is: from rock & roll to pop, from gospel-tinged ballads to tough Chicago blues, from country sounds to doo-wop & Jazzy tones, plus delivered by an Elvis that sounded not only as good as he sounded in the 50's but better, more confident & pasionate, more in control, with an expanded vocal range, in a word, a more experienced musician. "Something for Everybody" represents a 26 year old Elvis Presley that refuses to repeat himself, if "Elvis is Back!" was the sum up of everything he had ever been at the time, "Something for Everybody" was a departure from anything he had ever been as a recording artist, although a departure well grounded on the musical styles that most influenced him. With a side full of rockers and up tempos (plus the single Little Sister/His Lattest' Flame), it did satisfied the hunger of rock and roll fans expecting nothing but that of him, but it was the other side of the vinyl, what took everybody by surprise: it was a look at the future, a look into what came to be known as "The 60's Nashville Sound" in country music.

While all the raw uncontrolled sex energy of the 50's Elvis is intact on Elvis is Back!. in his second (non soundtrack or gospel) recording session after the army he uses a more restrained aproach, in this tasteful aesthetical quest, Elvis might have put aside his rough edged explosive voice that thrilled us so much and was the forte on "Elvis is Back!", sure that might have been dissapointing at the time everybody expected Elvis to be the all out rocker, an so Something for Everybody became the black shep, a regretful album in which Elvis went "soft", but by doing that, Elvis achieved one thing about his singing: perfection. After "Something fo Everybody" we all knew then, Elvis was not just about being a rocker, that was a phase, a resourse, but that Elvis was, and mainly, about being a singer, the greatest of out time, and one that was more about to explore his voice than to please fads. Suddenly, "serious" musical critics that had put him down for whatever reasons the previous decade, where paying close attention to the to the guy that they once called a rancid aphrodiciac for teenage delincuents, and that one day they will call: the artist of the century.

So what's in common to me in these to albums is that both are two sides of an artistic statment Elvis did after his army discharge, that he hadn't lost anything, that the game wasn't over for him (both records proves wrong the myth Elvis died in the army, he still have it), but more than anything, that as an artist discovering himself, the best was yet to come, and he was not going to be (as most 50's early rock artists) a guy repeating himself until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    So i guess Legacy is going to compete with them unknown label 4-6 bucks Elvis re-re-re-re-releases?
    I'm just affraid, a lot of music fans graph them 4-6 bucks re-re-re-re-releases before looking at these more expensive Legacy CD's.
    There is a lot of shitty cheap Elvis Cd's that are in need to be deleted and removed from stores. I'll will only let survive a few ones in the catalogue and let the Legacy ones and FTD upfront. Or else casual buyers will forget about these new legacy quality product, and will get some cheap cd that probably represents Elvis in not the smarter way.