Thread: Sony Closes CD Plant

TCB Mafia

Sony Closes CD Plant

Please go to the following URL:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20028334-261.html

Looks like we are coming to the end of an era.

Brian

Re: Sony Closes CD Plant

The end of an era indeed. It is amazing anyhow that Elvis has been a mayor selling figure though it all, from 78rpm, to SACD, DVD and mp3 downloads.

Im sure Elvis will still be surprising us all with his undying popularity in whatever formats the music business will take in the next 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    They only closed shop in Jersey.

CD's will be around for at least a 100-200 years. Tapes and records and even 8mm are still around so CD's should be able to outlive them weaker media sources.
    Frankly, as long as CD's keep spinning I'll keep playing them.
    I'm sure Cd's will be around 50 years from now and more (200 is a bit to much to say), just as Vinyl, tape etc. is still around. And people will keep spinning them just as today I still buy vinyl and love it. But they won't be the main media source of the music business just as Vinyl or tape isn't anymore.

Hmmm... could be posible that Vinyl will outlast Cd's? There's a chance we still be seeing Vinyl as deluxe collectibles in stores by 2110 but no Cd's anymore, just as brand new vinyls are being released today, but cassette tapes are rare to find.

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Honestly, I'm not surprised by the news...especially with the continuing advancements in technology. And while I too take advantage of today's music technology, I have to say that there is nothing more exciting to me than checking my mailbox and seeing a new Elvis CD in there. Unwrapping it, cracking it open for the first time, checking out all the artwork while I am putting the CD into the player for it's inaugural spin. It's so much more exciting that way to me, than to simply hit a button and suddenly you have the song/album on your music player. Nothing to see, nothing to hold....just push a button and the song is there. Not that there is anything wrong with that, as I said....just give me a good ol' CD!!

Actually, what amazes me more is that vinyl is making such a comeback!! I knew it was still always out there, that it never really went away completely...but now, it seems that vinyl is really taking off again. In fact, the other day I was at the mall browsing in the music store and noticed that for the first time in years, they now have a VINYL SECTION again...and quite a selection of current music too!!! I knew that specialty things, like the FTD vinyl releases, were still being made but I thought they were mainly manufactured to satisfy a small collecting niche. But there on the rack were vinyl copies of albums like the new Michael Jackson album, the new Ke$ha album, etc...it was actually pretty cool to see!!!

Anyway, thanks Brian for the info. Now, we'll have to wait and see when the audio cassette and the 8-track make a comeback...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    Honestly, I'm not surprised by the news...especially with the continuing advancements in technology. And while I too take advantage of today's music technology, I have to say that there is nothing more exciting to me than checking my mailbox and seeing a new Elvis CD in there. Unwrapping it, cracking it open for the first time, checking out all the artwork while I am putting the CD into the player for it's inaugural spin. It's so much more exciting that way to me, than to simply hit a button and suddenly you have the song/album on your music player. Nothing to see, nothing to hold....just push a button and the song is there. Not that there is anything wrong with that, as I said....just give me a good ol' CD!!

Actually, what amazes me more is that vinyl is making such a comeback!! I knew it was still always out there, that it never really went away completely...but now, it seems that vinyl is really taking off again. In fact, the other day I was at the mall browsing in the music store and noticed that for the first time in years, they now have a VINYL SECTION again...and quite a selection of current music too!!! I knew that specialty things, like the FTD vinyl releases, were still being made but I thought they were mainly manufactured to satisfy a small collecting niche. But there on the rack were vinyl copies of albums like the new Michael Jackson album, the new Ke$ha album, etc...it was actually pretty cool to see!!!

Anyway, thanks Brian for the info. Now, we'll have to wait and see when the audio cassette and the 8-track make a comeback...

TCB!
    Mike
    Great post. I got back into vinyl through the FTD vinyl releases and haven't looked back. I don't think the CD will die out completely because, well, vinyl is a case in point.
    I download music through iTUNES once in-a-while, but CD and vinyl are my main music choices, especially vinyl. There's so many great vinyl's being released Elvis. Jimi Hendrix, and The Rolling Stones (just bought EXILE ON MAIN STREET - DELUXE EDITION). There's no stopping me now and it's fantastic to have the vinyl in your hand,it's like candy, and the wonderful artwork. Best thing I've ever done is buy a turntable again.

Cheers,

My Boy

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by my boy View Post
    Great post. I got back into vinyl through the FTD vinyl releases and haven't looked back. I don't think the CD will die out completely because, well, vinyl is a case in point.
    I download music through iTUNES once in-a-while, but CD and vinyl are my main music choices, especially vinyl. There's so many great vinyl's being released – Elvis. Jimi Hendrix, and The Rolling Stones (just bought EXILE ON MAIN STREET - DELUXE EDITION). There's no stopping me now and it's fantastic to have the vinyl in your hand,it's like candy, and the wonderful artwork. Best thing I've ever done is buy a turntable again.

Cheers,

My Boy
    One again my friend, we think alike...

I have been toying with the idea of picking up a new turntable myself, especially with the recent resurgence in vinyl popularity. While I have refrained (well, actually forced myself is more like it ) from picking up the FTD vinyl releases (mainly for a lack of available funds), I am thinking that I am probably going to have to start investing in these little gems very soon...

I agree with you that, like I mentioned with CD's, there is nothing better than holding that LP cover in your hands...slicing the shrink wrap to open the jacket, pulling out the paper sleeve and carefully extracting that vinyl gem from within!! With the gentle application of the album to the record player and the ever so careful placement of the needle on the record, Elvis fans can once again sit back and enjoy some GREAT music from The King while being transported back in time with the sounds of the occasional vinyl crack, pop or hiss. One can argue that vinyl is the only way to truly enjoy The King's music...

Now having said all that, I guess it's time to start searching for some new funding for that turntable...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Sometimes I get weary when it comes to downloading music and would rather buy cd's whenever I can. This fear comes from a little experience I had with iTunes crashing on my computer and I was only left with music I had downloaded from cd's I've had. This has happened with a few of my friends. As long as the risk of there being glitches and things that could go wrong in the digital world I think cd's will be around for a while.

While Christmas shopping last year I've seen this turntable that connects to your laptop or desktop and it takes music from vinyls and puts them on your computer. I thought this was a cool device to have because I have some vinyl and my mom has TONS of vinyl that I would love to have on my iPod!

Vinyl is back! And I love to see I'm not the only vinyl freak over here.

Yes, the kind of turntables that Awickedreigndrop mentions, old style but with USB port and all will be the way to go in the next 15 years. Many rock and pop bands do release a vinyl version of their latest work, even 45rmp singles are back, it is not just a thing for oldies people. Casual audience do download, from there if you really like it or already a big fan, you go for the vinyl. Seems that would be the trend in this decade, although Cd will still be strong but decaying.

But where is Sony/Legacy releasing Elvis on vinyl? where was vinyl release for Elvis '75, On Stage/In Person, From Elvis in Memphis, Viva Elvis even?

FTD as always is thinking quicker and is already doing a fantastic job on that area. Can't wait for the How Great Thou Art on Vinyl! so glad I didn't got the CD release of that.

I think the FTD vinyl releases are just the beginning. There's loads more to come I think... "Promised Land" "On Stage" – how about the new "White Knight" FTD on vinyl?

The possibilities are endless for at least another 10 years...

A lot of years ago we were told here,"It's the end of vinyl !! This is the age of the cd !!" Yeah, right. Vinyl has never died out and to this day 'records' are still an option. No, it's all a very clever marketing ploy. "More people are switching to cds!". Well, of course they are if they can not get their hands on records because the companies are phasing them out, in this country anyway.
    An other good example of marketing & promotion was the Beta v VHS for video recorders. Beta was the far superior format, but VHS won the battle.
    Last edited by Cliff; 01-14-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif