Thread: Who/What was most responsible for Elvis' rise to fame?

Who/What was most responsible for Elvis' rise to fame?

some people say Sam Phillips...most people argue that it was Col.Parker..

I say it was the death of James Dean..
    any thoughts?

TCB

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by howardrobardhughes

any thoughts?

TCB

Wade
    James Dean couldn't sing, but Elvis could do both (act & sing - see "King Creole").

The person most responsible for EP's rise to fame was a dual effort based upon the partnership of The Col. & Elvis (which is exactly how The Col. viewed things). They needed each other, especially in the beginning. Elvis, however, eventually outgrew The Col. & his ways .... yet was successful in spite of it to the very end. Together, they (EP & The Col.) wrote & changed history.

No single person was single-handedly responsible for EP's fame, including Sam Phillips or The Col.. Each (and others), however, played critical roles at different critical time periods that made it all work out in the end. It all depends on what time period you are talking about, as to who played the critical role. The only one constant, from start to end, ............ was ELVIS.

- Capt. "EL."

My opinion

You could I suppose choose people who were instrumental in Elvis' success.
    Yes of course Sam Philips for creating Sun records and offering unknowns off the street to come in and pay their $4 for a record.

You could I suppose say Colonel Tom Parker for having the carny sense and contacts to push Elvis further.

You could I suppose say that James Dean's death opened a place for Elvis as the rebel teen idol.

But when all is said and done to answer the question who or what was most responsible for Elvis' rise to fame - I have to say that ELVIS was most responsible.
    He had the talent, the looks, the God given gift that nobody else ever had.

Let Sam Philips or Tom Parker create another one! They simply couldn't.

Great question, but only one true answer for me.....
    A Man Is Never Dead, Until He Is Forgotten.... (h)

Cool

That about sums it up!!!

International Level
    I say if it was'nt Sam Philips found and recorded Elvis's frist record, then
    Colonel Tom Parker would'nt be around, so i say it was Mr.Philips help out Elvis a lot.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

Coming On Strong
    Marion Keisker. Without her, things could have been totally different.
    Won't you sing me away to a summer night, let me hold her in my arms again.

International Level
    That's true Mr.songman.
    I Forgot about her.
    Curtis Simpkins

Long Live Vinyl. :worthy:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Songman
    Marion Keisker. Without her, things could have been totally different.
    Excellent observation. I must agree; hence my words previously ....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Elwood David
    Each (and others), however, played critical roles at different critical time periods that made it all work out in the end. It all depends on what time period you are talking about, as to who played the critical role.
    No ONE person, besides Elvis, can truly be credited (and EP could not have done it alone - got his start that is - without several key players being involved at various times).

- Capt. "EL."

Coming On Strong
    It was Elvis' enormous talent, plus he worked his *** off. Most of the other people did more to hurt him than help him.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    James Dean hasn't got anything to do with it. James is just part of the circumstances, just as all people who influenced Elvis one way or another.

Among the few people who actually had direct impact on Elvis' carreer are people like Parker, Philips and Scotty Moore.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Backstage Pass
    That's easy - Elvis.
    The man had talent, charisma and something new.
    Good timing, an ability to take all styles of music and wrap it into something new, Sam and even as much as I hate to admit it, The Colonel, all played their part, but it all boils down to the man in the middle.
    Elvis did it his way.
    rick

Coming On Strong
    Quote Originally Posted by rick
    That's easy - Elvis.
    The man had talent, charisma and something new.
    Good timing, an ability to take all styles of music and wrap it into something new, Sam and even as much as I hate to admit it, The Colonel, all played their part, but it all boils down to the man in the middle.
    Elvis did it his way.
    I Agree, Rick! Ultimately, Elvis was responsible for his incredible fame. Some times with the help of, sometimes in spite of those around him.
    "They poisoned you with compromise; At what point did you realize; Everyone loved your life but you...
    ...No one learned from your mistakes; We let our profits go to waste. All that's left, in any case, is Advertising Space"

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar
    But Elvis did need guidance, a person who firmly told him what to do. He needed to be pushed. A good actor needs a good producer and a good script, a good artist also need a good studioproducer and a good song.

So in the list of important people that were an important part of Elvis' jumpstart:
    * Leiber and Stoller
    * Ed Sullivan

What I've always found weird is that Elvis did so little constructive things during his many months of free time. He had lots of time between movies, just like between the tours and Vegas seasons. But most of the time the only that he gained during those off-periods was his weight.

For example: why didn't Elvis took actingclasses in his spare time?
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

These are very intersting aspects, Albert.

I must admit that 'til now I never thought much about what Elvis did during his free time or that he had so much of it.

It would be interesting if someone here can give more info about this.
    If you don't have nothing left to say,
    let me hold you one more time for ol' times sake

Quote Originally Posted by howardrobardhughes

any thoughts?

TCB

Wade

I dont have any better opinion but let me say this :

to me beside Sam Phillips is that lady ....Marion Keisker..... if she didnt put elvis name on that records and reminded Sam Phillips that this boy is different ...then...we'll never know what would happen to Elvis..

The Col. was good on promoting the 'larger' Elvis Presley.... his idea to set the Aloha From Hawaii was something we can not forget despite his ignorace about his boy health and condition ....even though we always hope Elvis could play out the U.S ..., overall he did a good job ..

thats all i can say Wade..

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar
    David & Albert,

My thinking is that basically when Elvis was working, he was working, and when he wasn't, he wasn't. When he was working, he worked hard and had to answer to other people and play by their rules. So I think he probably viewed his off-time as sacred, time to take some well deserved rest and do as he pleased.

True, he could have capitalized on that time better and done certain things which would have enhanced his life in various ways--and I'm sure he did to some extent. But as far as taking acting classes, he himself stated--and he may have been told this by someone, perhaps Parker--that he thought doing that could take away from his naturalness.

That does seem like flawed thinking, as there are certainly methods to employ which could have improved his stage presence and ability to more effectively emote in front of the camera. But he thought he would improve with experience, as much as anything else. Though the movies did not get much better over the years, I believe his 'presence' did. So he was probably partially right.

But being in Elvis' shoes, regardless of the era, I can see his wanting to devote all of his non-working time to fun and relaxation.

Just my take on it.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Southeastern Portion of These Here United States
    I would say that it was the people (fans) who help Elvis' rise to fame, because they were the ones who bought his records and merchandise, attended his shows, watched his movies, and latched on to what at that period in time was a truly unique and different style of music and performing.
    "Don't tamper with the property of the U.S. Male"

Coming On Strong
    He made 3 movies a year for a long time, plus put out great music during that period, then he toured almost non stopped. The man worked his tail off, so please don't say all he did in his off time was gain weight.

Coming On Strong
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    But Elvis did need guidance, a person who firmly told him what to do. He needed to be pushed. A good actor needs a good producer and a good script, a good artist also need a good studioproducer and a good song.

So in the list of important people that were an important part of Elvis' jumpstart:
    * Leiber and Stoller
    * Ed Sullivan

What I've always found weird is that Elvis did so little constructive things during his many months of free time. He had lots of time between movies, just like between the tours and Vegas seasons. But most of the time the only that he gained during those off-periods was his weight.

For example: why didn't Elvis took actingclasses in his spare time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonniebealestreet
    But being in Elvis' shoes, regardless of the era, I can see his wanting to devote all of his non-working time to fun and relaxation.
    As far as I understand, Parker worked very diligently, with the cooperation of some of the MM, to prevent Elvis from bettering his talents and learning about the industry. Lieber & Stoller is an excellent example - they wanted to work with more suitable and credible opportunities for Elvis, Parker shut them up and they quit. Similar incidents occurred with Binder when Elvis opened in Vegas, occurred with Chips Moman, and any number of others.

Elvis did have a lot of fun and was also bored senseless at times. Quite a few professionals talked about Elvis' desire to learn. So I would have to say that while it was Elvis' decision, his decision was based in large part on Parker's manipulation of events and of people, including Elvis.

Eileen