Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When Eric Clapton Met Elvis

Re: When Eric Clapton Met Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by King Of The Whole World View Post
    I know he would have done a good job on the song but as much as I love Elvis, I think Clapton would do it better. That song, Clapton really poured his soul into that song with the death of his son.
    I know what you mean, but Elvis could take any song and make it as his own. Look what he did with My Way, Bridge Over Troubled Water, You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin, Never Been To Spain, and Unchained Melody. And just think, we came just 1 week away from him living long enough to have performed I Will Always Love You on what was to be his next tour. I know he would have OWNED that performance and taken it to an over-the-top level as only he could do.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    I know what you mean, but Elvis could take any song and make it as his own. Look what he did with My Way, Bridge Over Troubled Water, You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin, Never Been To Spain, and Unchained Melody. And just think, we came just 1 week away from him living long enough to have performed I Will Always Love You on what was to be his next tour. I know he would have OWNED that performance and taken it to an over-the-top level as only he could do.
    Why do you think he would perform that on his next tour? Dolly didn't want to give Elvis the publishing on that song. I would have love to hear Elvis do that song, he would have killed it!!
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

Why do you think he would perform that on his next tour? Dolly didn't want to give Elvis the publishing on that song. I would have love to hear Elvis do that song, he would have killed it!!
    Elvis' publisher's at RCA wanted to get publishing rights to the song and Dolly was hurt thinking it was Elvis making that bold move. But it wasn't and he didn't know of it until she told him. He made a promise to her that all he would do is record a live version on his next tour (in August) for his next upcoming album. That way she got to keep royalties to the song. Unfortunately, that never got to happen.

TCB Mafia King Of The Whole World's Avatar

Elvis' publisher's at RCA wanted to get publishing rights to the song and Dolly was hurt thinking it was Elvis making that bold move. But it wasn't and he didn't know of it until she told him. He made a promise to her that all he would do is record a live version on his next tour (in August) for his next upcoming album. That way she got to keep royalties to the song. Unfortunately, that never got to happen.
    Ok, I have never heard that before. I knew he wanted to record that song badly. I wish it would have happened in the recording studio so that we would be able to listen to it today. Dang Parker.

What is weird for me, a lot of songs that Elvis recorded in the studio were not as good as some of the live versions. Elvis like to record his songs "live" in the studio but he would do even better versions in his shows, i.e. How Great Thou Art, My Way, Suspicious Minds ect. I think the more he performed the song the more he would try to make it different each time it was performed. I also think he fed off the audience's energy so much that he would hit the best high notes in the songs. So if he would have recorded I will Always Love You in concert it probably would have been a better version than a studio recording.
    Love Elvis...The Greatest

RIP Tommy

This meeting happened at the Memphian Theater & Carl Radle, Eric's bass player, was also there.

Dolly claimed in a recent interview that Col Parker was the stumbling block in Elvis recording that song.
    Work in Progress!

Heres an idea of how Elvis may have done "Tears in Heaven"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESbAF...feature=fvwrel
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Heres an idea of how Elvis may have done "Tears in Heaven"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESbAF...feature=fvwrel
    I saw this. Good job for an amateur. He can't hit the high notes nor carry a long note the way Elvis could. Also Elvis would have probably had drums and more backing vocals on his version. But a good idea of what it might have sounded like.

I saw this. Good job for an amateur. He can't hit the high notes nor carry a long note the way Elvis could. Also Elvis would have probably had drums and more backing vocals on his version. But a good idea of what it might have sounded like.
    I am not much on most tribute artists-but Doug Church is pretty good on a lot of songs.
    Church actually fooled me on a Christmas song a few years back that a local store employee had playing over the stores intercom-I knew Elvis had not recorded this song but I thought that sure sounds like Elvis.....the clerk told me it was a Doug Church cd.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    This meeting happened at the Memphian Theater & Carl Radle, Eric's bass player, was also there.
    Yes Carl Radle! Such an underated musician, lucky for him to have met the king with Clapton!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12