Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: John Fogerty on Elvis

  1. #1
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    John Fogerty on Elvis



    Well nothing new, but I just wanted to share this with you as Im a huge CCR fan.

    John Fogerty rules, that is one guy I would have love dueting Elvis back in the early 70's.

  2. #2
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    My "garage" band in the late 60s early 70s did many many CCR covers, they were easy to play and they felt like original 50s rock so I loved them.
    Fogerty gets what Elvis and early rock music was.
    Work in Progress!

  3. #3
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    The link is disabled, but you can still double click it and you can see it in the youtube page.

  4. #4
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    My "garage" band in the late 60s early 70s did many many CCR covers, they were easy to play and they felt like original 50s rock so I loved them.
    Fogerty gets what Elvis and early rock music was.
    A 1970-1971 Elvis and CCR would have been a killer combination. That's a recurrent day dream I have anyway. lol.

    Remember the cover they did of My Baby Left Me? that was pretty cool.

    Didn't know you had a band, nice What instrument did you play on that one?

  5. #5

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    The world of discussions about E has really changed . . . you focus on the comments of other performers, about his record sales being overtaken by someone else, you talk about and SUPPORT the gross and crass commercialism, etc. etc. etc. but no one seems to be interested in discussions about THE MAN, his real life, how the people around him TRULY affected him, what he was REALLY thinking or what he wanted out of life . . . bleh.

  6. #6
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by seyeregit View Post
    The world of discussions about E has really changed . . . you focus on the comments of other performers, about his record sales being overtaken by someone else, you talk about and SUPPORT the gross and crass commercialism, etc. etc. etc. but no one seems to be interested in discussions about THE MAN, his real life, how the people around him TRULY affected him, what he was REALLY thinking or what he wanted out of life . . . bleh.
    1. You? Who's that? I never ever started a thread about his record sales, and never ever I have supported the gross commercialism that surrounds Elvis, in fact I often post against it. Go to the proper thread to complain about that.

    2. No one seems to be interested in discussions about the Man, "his real life" etc.? Under which rock you live? I think enough fans and threads on this forum and many others focus on that, and that's all right, but personaly I think the main focus should be on his music. Elvis ITS about the music first to me, and this thread is related to that, although I explained well the reason I started it.

    3. Anyway, you are needy about the man and his real life? Get the two volumes of Guralnick's books on Elvis bio and bleh your self.

    Tender kisses to you.

  7. #7

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    First of all, my post was NOT directed to you personally, but you sure are defensive. Hmm.

    If you've purchase an FTD or anything related to EPE, you've contributed to the commercialism.

    I'm not "needy" about the man because I know firsthand.

    Books? Bleh, they are merely ways for the "author" to make a buck off E.

    No, there are no serious discussions about the man, because that would mean these so-called "fans" would have to admit his faults and his flaws, his weaknesses, and the inherent and overwhelming unhappiness that made him seek solitude - HIS WAY.

    Now, go back to your commercialism and book learnin' . . . lol

  8. #8
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by seyeregit View Post
    First of all, my post was NOT directed to you personally, but you sure are defensive. Hmm.
    Your post is on my thread. I take care of my threads just as anybody does with theirs.
    If the word "you" on your post meant: Elvis fans, TCB forum etc. Go and start your own thread exposing your case.

    Quote Originally Posted by seyeregit View Post
    If you've purchase an FTD or anything related to EPE, you've contributed to the commercialism.
    That is plain ridiculous, Elvis since day one at Sun and then at RCA became a commercial item in a liberal economy. So every time we bought a new single, a new album, or went to see him in his new movie was commercialism. Sure, there is a point when that economical sistem goes beyond the limit and becomes mere exploitation, and Elvis sadly has been constant subject of that, not just now but back then when Blue Hawaii become the staple of his movies against Elvis own wishes.

    I don't think the point is not purchase anything, but to choose carefuly what you are buying and why, but that's me. If you choose to stick to the old vinyls and never ever buy anything post '77, I do respect your view, but don't ever came here to spit shit on me if I ever had bought an FTD cause your point is not stronger than mine in anyway.


    Quote Originally Posted by seyeregit View Post
    I'm not "needy" about the man because I know firsthand.
    Yeah sure, another one claiming to be his secret cousin or friend, or yeah, one of the memphis mafia guys that does not want to reveal his identity, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by seyeregit View Post
    Books? Bleh, they are merely ways for the "author" to make a buck off E.
    Books bleh? Jesus, way to introduce yourself, well I guess we should simply quit on reading right? cause errr... writers write to make a buck.

    Yes, a writer writes to make a buck, a living. But despite of that, some writers actually develop a career on serious writing without the need of make a quick buck on a hot topic they don't even know about. Not everybody who writes for Elvis is a bag full of bull, claiming the knew Elvis first hand and so, there you go with the ultimate true on how does Elvis goes.

    Guralnick had quite a solid career, as novelist, music critic and music historian, way before "Last Train To Memphis" and "Careless Love", the two volumes he wrote on Elvis, and the amount of research, time, and most of all the style he uses its quite something, this is no: Joe Esposito I knew Elvis firsthand, here I go with my lovely story cause Im getting old and need money. Guralnick books is serious historical piece of work. That means, knowledge about art and history is not the single minded acount of a "I know that first handed" dude, but a complex work of collect all those dudes acounts, verify them, and confront that with the actual piece of work, the music, in Elvis case.

    Its embarrasing when people like Elvis exwife, or close friends, doesn't even know the name of the albums Elvis did? or when does a recording session happened? or when they show they dont even not know or understand a thing about music? No its not, they knew the man first hand, they are entitled to talk about their golden memories as grandpa told his confusing tales, but when its time to talk about Elvis art, Elvis story as an artist, I'll stick with people like Guralnick or Jorgensen, or the musicians that worked with Elvis (talking about the music not about how El gave them a cadillac) anytime.

    I guess Elvis the man I knew, and Elvis the art and the artist, in a way are really two things apart. Well, I'm sure I will go back to my book learnin' and to study Elvis the artist, the music man, and do it take by take via my FTD and Imports commercialism. You go back to your fading precious memories of the guy you knew "first hand" (sure), while sitting alone, cause I don't see any thread of yours willing to share your privileged knowledge about Elvis.


    Quote Originally Posted by seyeregit View Post
    No, there are no serious discussions about the man, because that would mean these so-called "fans" would have to admit his faults and his flaws, his weaknesses, and the inherent and overwhelming unhappiness that made him seek solitude - HIS WAY.
    Yes, there are those kind of "fans", agree with you. Yet, here in TCB WORLD I'm glad to say I have found lots of fans willing to discuss what your asking for, I've been regular for 5 years now, look deeper into the old threads from years ago, and you'll find plenty of stuff discussing openly about his weaknesses, faults and flaws, etc.

    Yet, if you are so concern about that, I dare you to start a thread adressing the kind of topics you want to discuss, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING? you got the same privileges as any other user around here.

    Anyway, what does all of your bla bla has to do with my thread?
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 12-08-2010 at 02:00 AM.

  9. #9
    Mad Tigers lightcloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    41

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Firstly, thanks for this clip Raised On Rock, I love John Fogerty. I first heard 'Bad Moon Rising' in the American Werewolf In London' movie and wondered for years who sang it, such a great song. Plus 'Proud Mary' is brilliant (and others)

    I love this clip, the bit where the interviewer asks for words of wisdom for people starting in the business. Fogerty says "see a lawyer, then see another lawyer to look at that lawyer, then see another lawyer after that to see those two lawyers and don't sign nothing until your mom reads it" LOL, the wisest words ever muttered.

    Secondly, Raised On Rock, your response to seyeregit is fantastic. I get the feeling though that seyeregit is just trying to wind you up. His name sounds like SAY YOU'RE A GIT and his personal page remains basic which leads me to believe he is not a genuine Elvis fan. Anyway, your response is great.

  10. #10
    Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In Your Heart
    Posts
    5,993

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    seyeregit, I realise people are passionate about Elvis however please refrain from making this personal otherwise you could get infraction points.

  11. #11
    PeacockLady Diane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    11,636

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Very nice clip...thank you!

  12. #12
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by lightcloud View Post

    I love this clip, the bit where the interviewer asks for words of wisdom for people starting in the business. Fogerty says "see a lawyer, then see another lawyer to look at that lawyer, then see another lawyer after that to see those two lawyers and don't sign nothing until your mom reads it" LOL, the wisest words ever muttered.
    That's great advice in any business area you want to consider making a living out of it lol. I think if Elvis would have been alive in the 80's and saw that clip would have had the biggest laugh ever for sure. That's one piece of advice he knew it was 100% true all the way back to '56 hehe...

    Fogerty and Elvis are to good examples of amazing talents that often became shortened by let's say: Too Much Monkey Business.

    Its nice to hear there are plenty of Creedence Clearwater Revival fans over here!

  13. #13
    TCB Mafia
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    I would rather read intelligent discussions on here regarding Elvis' music, it's historical impact, his influence on culture and other musicians; than the way he walked, how loving and sweet a person he was, how long and beautiful his eyelashes were or some of the other crap that has been posted on this forum.

  14. #14
    SleepyJack
    Guest

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Enjoyed watching that.Always been a Fan Of CCR and John Fogerty..those guys made some great music together.You could always hear the Elvis influence in their music,maybe more so than any other other band or artist.I think that it`s the greatest way of all to pay tribute to Elvis and to his musical influence..no tacky tie-ins,no pretending to be Elvis...just making their own great music and yet,somehow keeping the spirit and the greatness of their influences alive within it.That isn`t something that too many people can manage to do.
    To me this does more for the good name of Elvis Presley than any of the over-the-top "tributes" and insider stories...all that rubbish that the media have been gorging themselves on since 1977. If Elvis image and music had been handled properly from day one then i think that you would see a lot more examples of his influence today among serious musicians and artists....sadly though that isn`t the case. Admitting to being influenced by Elvis today will not win you as many "cool" points as it used to...and not because of Elvis...but because everybody just lumps it all in together..the ETAs,the Las Vegas glitz and glamour...the revelations,the theories,all the cheap tackiness that has come to be associated with the name "Elvis"...it`s a lot easier just to say you`re influenced by the Beatles or Chuck Berry. The machine that is still making money out of Elvis presley is the same machine that is killing him all over again....and there will come a point where it will be all undone beyond repair. I`d love to see Elvis remembered with the respect he deserves in the music industry...but as time goes on that is looking less and less likely.

  15. #15
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    Enjoyed watching that.Always been a Fan Of CCR and John Fogerty..those guys made some great music together.You could always hear the Elvis influence in their music,maybe more so than any other other band or artist.I think that it`s the greatest way of all to pay tribute to Elvis and to his musical influence..no tacky tie-ins,no pretending to be Elvis...just making their own great music and yet,somehow keeping the spirit and the greatness of their influences alive within it.That isn`t something that too many people can manage to do.
    To me this does more for the good name of Elvis Presley than any of the over-the-top "tributes" and insider stories...all that rubbish that the media have been gorging themselves on since 1977. If Elvis image and music had been handled properly from day one then i think that you would see a lot more examples of his influence today among serious musicians and artists....sadly though that isn`t the case. Admitting to being influenced by Elvis today will not win you as many "cool" points as it used to...and not because of Elvis...but because everybody just lumps it all in together..the ETAs,the Las Vegas glitz and glamour...the revelations,the theories,all the cheap tackiness that has come to be associated with the name "Elvis"...it`s a lot easier just to say you`re influenced by the Beatles or Chuck Berry. The machine that is still making money out of Elvis presley is the same machine that is killing him all over again....and there will come a point where it will be all undone beyond repair. I`d love to see Elvis remembered with the respect he deserves in the music industry...but as time goes on that is looking less and less likely.
    I praise your post the most!!!! You really got the point of this thread.

    You really hit the nail, you're, to me, the kind of Efan, of understanding mind our man most needs, before as you pointed: the machine that is killing him, make of his memory a disneyland like attraction somewhere in Memphis or Vegas.

  16. #16
    TCB Mafia Raised on Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    2,129

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknroll View Post
    I would rather read intelligent discussions on here regarding Elvis' music, it's historical impact, his influence on culture and other musicians; than the way he walked, how loving and sweet a person he was, how long and beautiful his eyelashes were or some of the other crap that has been posted on this forum.
    Right On! I do agree with you.

    Although I do respect the people who want to discuss his beautiful eyelashes, (or his "real life"). But yes, that can not be the main issue around Elvis, and somehow most of the times it is, there are more books about Elvis gossip and golden twisted memories, than about his art and his music, how come?

    Its the music, the music man, the performer.

  17. #17
    TCB Mafia Miss Clawdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Germany & Norway
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Great video, I enjoyed watching it! Thank you

  18. #18
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    [QUOTE=Raised on Rock;386002]A 1970-1971 Elvis and CCR would have been a killer combination. That's a recurrent day dream I have anyway. lol.

    Remember the cover they did of My Baby Left Me? that was pretty cool.

    Didn't know you had a band, nice What instrument did you play on that one?[/QUOTE]
    I played rhythm guitar and sang lead, but the real world took over in 1972 when I got my first real job and then married in 1973.....still play and write songs, but its a hobby now. But I love music and thank Elvis for that.
    My brother actually became a professional musician, and he traveled the US and in Norway, Sweden and Switzerland with his band in the late 1980s they were called "Ballister Crew"
    Work in Progress!

  19. #19
    International Level Tigerman1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Atlanta Georgia
    Posts
    504

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    [QUOTE=Raised on Rock;386002]A 1970-1971 Elvis and CCR would have been a killer combination.

    QUOTE]

    That would have been the jam for sure.
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands.

  20. #20
    TCB Mafia KPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: John Fogerty on Elvis

    Quote Originally Posted by seyeregit View Post
    The world of discussions about E has really changed . . . you focus on the comments of other performers, about his record sales being overtaken by someone else, you talk about and SUPPORT the gross and crass commercialism, etc. etc. etc. but no one seems to be interested in discussions about THE MAN, his real life, how the people around him TRULY affected him, what he was REALLY thinking or what he wanted out of life . . . bleh.
    There are thread after thread after thread in the archives which have indepth discussed Elvis the man-you are certainly welcome to browse thru them.
    Believe it or not-the gross and crass commercialism you speak of-started in the 1950s while Elvis was alive.
    The topics of his record sales, and what others thought about him are relevant to who and what Elvis was as an entertainer.
    How he influenced people such as John Fogerty shows his place in the history of music that the world has called rock, that is certainly relevant to who and what he was as an entertainer....and make no mistake we all came to know Elvis the entertainer-first.
    His life as a private person was not what drew people to him-it was the electrifiying talent, voice and personal charisma.
    Later as a fan you want to know more about the person behind the talent. I'm not sure what it is you feel that we are doing incorrectly (and that seems to be your assessment)
    Many many times the flaws of Elvis have been debated, his great generosity has been praised, and his motivations in life have been discussed.
    We have spoke of the saints and sinners in his inner circle-how they affected him and how he affected them-their motivations have been debated and discussed.
    But in that process-many get upset and many clashes have come about..........you can only discuss a topic so long until you are repeating points and talking in circles.
    Everyone here is a fan-and must love Elvis and his music or why would they be here?
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. john fogerty
    By pat10 in forum Off topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 03:56 AM
  2. Elvis and Elton John
    By rams in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM
  3. elvis and john
    By geordie in forum Off topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 10:23 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 12:21 AM
  5. Elvis and John Lennon.
    By Glenn in forum Elvis Presley
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •