Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Viva Elvis' The Album - Chart Results

TCB Mafia

'Viva Elvis' The Album - Chart Results

'Viva Elvis' is only Top 15 at present in the UK Midweek Charts (1st Report) which is disappointing, considering the amount of hype and promotion promised by SONY. Susan Boyle is No.1 with over 30,000 sold in one day.

Hopefully 'Viva' will enter the Top 10 by the end of the week. Some positions as follows:

1. Susan Boyle

2. Bon Jovi

3. Cheryl Cole

4. James Blunt

5. Kings Of Leon

7. Ray Davies

9. Cee-Lo Green

Top 15

Elvis

The Benedictine Nuns Of Notre Dame

Top 20

The Jam

Brian

Re: 'Viva Elvis' The Album - Chart Results

Im sorry but exactly what hype and publicity are you refering to . I have not seen one piece of the publicity and support that Sony promised this album would have on tv or in print . Its been sneaked out like a dirty secret . No wonder Susan Boyle is No 1 , everytime you turn on the tv or turn a page in a newspaper or mag there is an advertisement but as usual Elvis gets zilch . Maybe Sony changed their minds and decided to give all the publicity they promised for Viva Elvis to Susan Boyle instead .
    Last edited by el gerry; 11-17-2010 at 06:06 AM.

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by el gerry View Post
    Im sorry but exactly what hype and publicity are you refering to . I have not one piece of the publicity and support that Sony promised this album would have on tv or in print . Its been sneaked out like a dirty secret . No wonder Susan Boyle is No 1 , everytime you turn on the tv or turn a page in a newspaper or mag there is an advertisement but as usual Elvis gets zilch . Maybe Sony changed their minds and decided to give all the publicity they promised for Viva Elvis to Susan Boyle instead .
    Hi Gerry,

This is what SONY (UK) promised:

Promotion
    Cirque du Soleil, Pricilla Presley and the album producer Erich Van Tourneau all undertaking promo.
    Pricilla has already been on The One Show
    Major TVs are being lined up

Marketing

TV: Very heavy TV campaign across ITV, C4, Five and satellite booked from launch up to Christmas
    National X Factor launch spot the day before release

Outdoor: Nationwide Adrail campaign

Radio: Campaigns booked with Heart, Smooth and Capital

Press: Nationwide front page strip on Metro day of release
    Sunday Mirror day before release
    Red & Hello full page ads

Online: Facebook, Youtube and Google campaigns

I honestly feel that at present SONY are mainly interested in spending their money on launching new artists (especially short term quick buck 'X' Factor types) and cutting back on budgets to help pay for last year's massive 250 million dollar Michael Jackson recording deal. They will push him like mad until that is recouped. They know Elvis has a big fan base and his records will sell whatever, promotion or not. However, it is high time, in my opinion, that fans let SONY and EPE know that they are unhappy at the effect such policies are having on his legacy.

Brian

TCB Mafia

Update. The 'Viva Elvis' album is No.13 on the UK Midweek Album Charts (1st Day Report) selling some 4,500 copies. Sony state they will get a better idea tomorrow if it is likely to go higher.

Brian

Coming On Strong

I think Elvis` "legacy" is more than safe whatever happens with this release.

Agree with that.

I am slightly disappointed in Sony-considering the hype on "their hype" which has been very low key almost "Stealth" but business is business.
    Work in Progress!

I would expect that SONY is saving its money for promotional advertizing for the upcoming Michael Jackson album since they spent $250 million on his music rights. Unfair but that's the way it is.

TCB Mafia

No improvement today on yesterday's chart position with 7,000 sales as of now. There will be a major push on next week's 'Strictly Come Dancing' when a dance team from the 'Viva Elvis' Show will perform 'Blue Suede Shoes'. One can only hope this will give the album some exposure and increase sales/chart position. As regards the TV Campaign, the album has been getting exposure in areas considered demographically favourable to Elvis. Some 80,000 has already been spent on the album in these areas alone. To cover the whole of the UK would have cost 180,000 and the current level of sales cannot justify this. We must always remember that SONY is a company and therefore has to make a profit. Regarding record sales in general the UK album sales are down 7% year on year and unless an act is the 'current thing' e.g. 'X' Factor Winners, Take That, Susan Boyle et al it is always going to be difficult for established artists like Elvis to do as well as in the past with no new product. It is a challenge for Sony to know where they can go from here and it may be that we are not far from no Elvis records being released at all within the next couple of years. One must remember that the major part of the fan base is ageing rapidly and dying off which must contribute to a drop in sales. Sony also state that they cannot see a 'Viva Elvis' (Part 2) being released as has been rumoured.

Sorry to be so negative with this post but I believe in telling it like it is. I only wish I could be reporting a No.1 album with over 100,000 sales!!

I know it is no comfort, but if you think the 'Viva Elvis' album has done badly just look at Tom Jones latest 'Greatest Hits' released on the same day. It is not even in the Top 40 at present. A major disappointment for him.

Brian

Cadillac King janice mcclelland's Avatar

What I also find insulting is that I have seen countless ads for the new Take That single, and only once have I seen 'Viva Elvis' advertised.Shameful!!! If it was left to somebody competent they might have secured a 'performance' of 'Viva Elvis' on the x-factor, just think what that could have achieved, why have they reneged on their pledge to fully support this release?????

ps. I have just sent an e-mail to sony, to voice my disgust.
    Last edited by janice mcclelland; 11-10-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Quinn View Post
    No improvement today on yesterday's chart position with 7,000 sales as of now. There will be a major push on next week's 'Strictly Come Dancing' when a dance team from the 'Viva Elvis' Show will perform 'Blue Suede Shoes'. One can only hope this will give the album some exposure and increase sales/chart position. As regards the TV Campaign, the album has been getting exposure in areas considered demographically favourable to Elvis. Some 80,000 has already been spent on the album in these areas alone. To cover the whole of the UK would have cost 180,000 and the current level of sales cannot justify this. We must always remember that SONY is a company and therefore has to make a profit. Regarding record sales in general the UK album sales are down 7% year on year and unless an act is the 'current thing' e.g. 'X' Factor Winners, Take That, Susan Boyle et al it is always going to be difficult for established artists like Elvis to do as well as in the past with no new product. It is a challenge for Sony to know where they can go from here and it may be that we are not far from no Elvis records being released at all within the next couple of years. One must remember that the major part of the fan base is ageing rapidly and dying off which must contribute to a drop in sales. Sony also state that they cannot see a 'Viva Elvis' (Part 2) being released as has been rumoured.

Sorry to be so negative with this post but I believe in telling it like it is. I only wish I could be reporting a No.1 album with over 100,000 sales!!

I know it is no comfort, but if you think the 'Viva Elvis' album has done badly just look at Tom Jones latest 'Greatest Hits' released on the same day. It is not even in the Top 40 at present. A major disappointment for him.

Brian
    Brian, if the rumors are true about VE may be closng in Las Vegas sooner than expected (according to Marty Lacker) then it might be a big reason behind SONY not promoting it as they planned (according to your source). But either way SONY can't afford to just sit on those other 30 tracks mixed for the album that didn't get on and shelve them. They will eventually have to release them in some fashion in order to make profit off of what it cost to pay the musicians who played on them and the studio time it took to make those recordings. It's also possible that if VE doesn't shut down that SONY may re-release the album with the additional tracks for a delux edition sometime next year. Record companies are known for doing this now especially when an album underachives in sales. SONY'S biggest mistake though was limiting it to only 12 album tracks. They could have at least gone with 14 or 16 as most albums do today. I think the economy has hit their pockets alot more than they are willing to let be known. Time will tell.

I've never really cared about lists and charts. It might have meant something back in the 20th century, but now...sadly, it all comes down to the ability promote yourself. Music today is all about advertisements, music videos and such things that haven't got anything to do with actual music. Charts aren't at all a way to measure the quality of music. (example; Lady Gaga? Her music is crap according to every standard, but she's clever enough to know how to create an image that will sell.) I am really sorry that I had to put it this way. Most of you here know that I'm a devoted Elvis fan and that I care for his legacy, but I also understand that, however bad, it's the new music that will sell. It's just how things work and and always have worked. As a fan I am also aware of the fact that in order to continue Elvis' legacy, there has to be a way to attract new fans, but definitely not at any price. Elvis is timeless. He was a great vocalist, entertainer and showman. He will always be liked and thought of as one of the most important music icons in the history of popular music. He will never remain unnoticed. As long as there are still people in this world who have developed tastes in music and at least a little bit of knowledge about the history of popular music, Elvis will always be respected.
    I don't need a proof for that from the charts. They are just numbers, anyway.

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

I try not to care anymore for THE charting of Elvis releases. Right now we still try to measure Elvis' importance and relevance based on todays sales.

"Elvis Will Always be THE king, no matter what".

Because of THE music industry changed so much during the 50s, 60s and 70s, most music from Elvis, Cash, Beatles, Beach Boys, Sinatra sound outdated nowadays. That's probably why Michael Jackson's music from the 80s can still be used and sold easily. Not really much have changed in the pop/swingbeat scene.

The icons of the past are celebrated by history, not by THE current charts.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    The icons of the past are celebrated by history, not by THE current charts.
    And that's the true and the end of it. And its a good thing.

Elvis legacy it is just doing fine if it doesn't hit the No.1 spot. No.13th in the UK its already good enough for a dead body, believe me. Any news on how things are going in the US? Here in Mexico is getting Tom Jones luck, Im afraid to say.

But Elvis fans here in Mexico got a BIG ISSUE with it, the BONUS duet track, I don't know how SONY Mexico choosed the artist for our release but IT DOES SUCK LOL. Thalia is the name of the gal. Man, I'll put it like this, can't see how an Elvis fan, either from the old generation (people who grew with the man), the middle generation (like me born around mid 70's to mid 80's) or the new generations (the kids into it) WILL EVER RELATE WITH HER, except with a mayor YUCK! Its like SONY/BMG just said: who's our biggest selling artist? oh yes Thalia choose her, but hey, I mean big DUH! did you people notice that its like mixing pepper with sugar? Now the Viva Elvis CD got a big sticker reading Thalia, and that is like a big DON'T BUY ME sticker on it.

Thalia fans won't be interested at all on Elvis, and any Elvis fan will say my GOD THEY DID WHAT? Now any music critic over here won't mind to give it even a bad review, why? cause that dam sticker is already doing their jobs as it reads: BIG BAD JOKE, BUBBLE GUM CRAP, DON'T EVEN MIND, YOU SEE WE TOLD YOU ELVIS IS JUST A PHONEY!

JUST WHAT WE NEEDED when serious music critics/press, at least here Latinamerica where finally giving a positive notice on Elvis as a SERIOUS artist and giving him his deseved creadit as the great musical force he is, that because of the BMG/Legacy releases celebrating history (From Elvis in Memphis, On Stage, Good Rocking Tonight) so congratulations BMG you just shit on your little achievments! lol once again.

So, not a big No.1? that won't hurt him, choosing the wrong people = failing to asociate Elvis with the right frame of mind, that CAN AND WILL HURT a celebrated past.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 11-11-2010 at 12:20 AM.

TCB Mafia

Other albums, apart from Susan Boyle and Taylor Swift, heading for a high arrival on next week's Billboard 200 include Reba McEntire's "All the Women I Am," Bon Jovi's "Greatest Hits," the "Now 36" compilation, Cee Lo Green's "The Lady Killer," Elvis Presley's "Viva Elvis," Alter Bridge's "AB III" and Kid Cudi's "Man on the Moon 2: the Legend of Mr. Rager."

Brian

viva elvis is pure crap...

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by laura17 View Post
    viva elvis is pure crap...
    In your opinion. For me it is easily the BEST Album since Elvis died bar none. The sound and recording techniques are outstanding and the whole album is so innovative. Nothing like this has ever been done before. I am hoping for a Grammy next year.

TCB Mafia

A 'Best Buy' store worker in Las Vegas reports that it "Sold Out" of copies of 'Viva Elvis -The Album' in just 48 hours. Plus he reports that 'Best Buy' Radio, the in-store promotional show that is on all day, plays 'Suspicious Minds 2010' every hour or so. Way to go Vegas!!!

Brian

In your opinion. For me it is easily the BEST Album since Elvis died bar none. The sound and recording techniques are outstanding and the whole album is so innovative. Nothing like this has ever been done before. I am hoping for a Grammy next year.
    It has been done before, it was called Love.
    The sound is not to innovative, it does sound late 80's to me.
    It is not an Elvis album, its a cirque do solei soundtrack. An Elvis related one.

Anyway, despite what I've already said about the international duets issue, I'm not against it and kind of enjoy it, as enterteainment not as music of course.

But talking about innovations, hmmm... this is 2010 people, NO 5.1 DVD edition? for real? You got any news about that Brian?

For me the best recent release was 30#1s-sound cleaned up,clearer and crisper remastered originals.
    You are correct that this album is "innovative"-but what does it mean...........if the artist had no creative hand in it? The innovation is more technical, more about the production trickery than about the art of recorded music. I like the Suspicious Minds remix-mainly because it seems fairly true to the original..... the other samples I've heard have not impressed me nearly as much.
    Work in Progress!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast