Thread: Suspicious Minds (VIVA ELVIS) Release Cancelled

Cadillac King

Suspicious Minds (VIVA ELVIS) Release Cancelled

According it Essential Elvis. The Suspicious Minds single was cancelled in the UK. I'm not sure why it was, perhaps this accounts for the fact not many people have heard it on the radio?

In The Netherlands, the single is going to be released along with the original, but limited to 500 copies.

Even though some fans don't like the remixes or the album I think its a shame it's not going to be released. It could have done very well as a single, if only for one week.

I don't understand why it's being released in The Netherlands and not the UK, I'd say there was equal demand in both countries. And why limit it to 500 copies? It's never going to get to number one with only 500 copies up for grabs, even if all 500 copies are brought.

Cadillac King

Re: Suspicious Minds (VIVA ELVIS) Release Cancelled

Here's a bit of an update. Suspicious Minds will be included on the new 'Now' album. This should reach quite a few people. Perhaps SONY have decided to release the remix after this album has been released to create a bit more interest?

I think the new version is excellent

http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/2010/09/...picious-minds/
    _________
    there is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Nina's Elvis blogs: http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/elvis-index/

I absolutely LOVE the new version! It's great!

Nathan Belt
    www.nathanbelt.com

TCB Mafia

To say I am disappointed with SONY(UK) is an understatement. 'Suspicious Minds' was nowhere to be found on its official release day, 25th October. To make matters worse how about this:

'Suspicious Minds 2010' is to be included on the
    soon to be release hit single compilation 'NOW 36'. As we all know the whole single release
    has been a total farce and now this latest news makes it even more of a joke.

'Suspicious Minds 2010' is a brand new mix of the classic Elvis recording, however, on this
    new compilation, the song is listed as a BONUS....FLASHBACK TRACK! Flashback? Who the
    hell is responsible for the campaign? Do SONY have any clue as to what this new recording is
    all about? Does a brand new modern mix really qualify as a "Flashback Track"?

“Now 36” comes with info on how to enter a contest to win a trip to Vegas to see “Viva Elvis by
    Cirque du Soleil” at that Aria Hotel.

“Now That’s What I Call Music! Vol. 36,” the latest in the never-ending collection of current pop
    hits, will street on November 9th.

And if you think that is bad the latest Susan Boyle Album 'The Gift' has had its release date changed from 15th November to 8th November - the same date as 'Viva Elvis'. Boyle is already No.1 on the Amazon (UK) chart and guess who Boyles' record company is....................................SONY!!. So that means no No.1 for 'Viva Elvis'. Whoever is responsible for these decisions should have their job terminated immediately. Following these releases I suggest all fans write a letter of complaint to the head of Sony(UK) complaining of the way Elvis and his Legacy have been treated. I will post names and adresses later.

Brian

Agree 100% with this Brian, well said.

Cadillac King janice mcclelland's Avatar

I most certainly will lodge a complaint, outrageous!

Cadillac King

Such a disapointment. With about two weeks to go till release there is still nothing.

Perhaps with the $60 miliion EPE earnt last year, they should invest and buy back all the rights to pre 73 songs and buy the rights off Warner Bros for the films. Sure it would cost a fortune but in the long run EPE would have total control and would make back the money within a few years.

Not everyone likes EPE but at least EPE are focused on Elvis and not on several other artists.

I'm not being big headed but sometimes I feel I could do a better job. Look at earlier this month when John Lennon turned 70, youtube personalised their home page and google personalised their logo as a tribute. Small things like that make a big difference. But what does Elvis get? A cancelled single.

Quote Originally Posted by italianfan View Post
    Such a disapointment. With about two weeks to go till release there is still nothing.

Perhaps with the $60 miliion EPE earnt last year, they should invest and buy back all the rights to pre 73 songs and buy the rights off Warner Bros for the films. Sure it would cost a fortune but in the long run EPE would have total control and would make back the money within a few years.

Not everyone likes EPE but at least EPE are focused on Elvis and not on several other artists.

I'm not being big headed but sometimes I feel I could do a better job. Look at earlier this month when John Lennon turned 70, youtube personalised their home page and google personalised their logo as a tribute. Small things like that make a big difference. But what does Elvis get? A cancelled single.
    Unfortunately Sony would never consider selling, nor Warners or any of the other studios Elvis made movies for. I would venture the guess (just a guess) that the idea has been considered-but Elvis's music is practically priceless and Sony knows it has reaped untold profits from his catalogue for the last 33 years.
    The Beatles catalogue which MJ bought years ago, cost a pretty penny for MJ but it was his most consistent money earner while alive and he borrowed on it for years because every one knew it will always make money. But the Beatles still get their artists royaltees regardless of who own their songs. Elvis gets no artist royaltees of any kind for the pre 73 music, but does get publishing income on the songs his company published.
    The only properties EPE has been able to fully acquire in the last 33 years were the total rights to the 68 Special, and the Aloha Special. I agree it would be great if EPE could get the music and films-but it will never happen in our lifetime (maybe never)
    Work in Progress!

Cadillac King

I'd love to know the figure SONY would want for Elvis' music. I have a tin of pennies, think they'd except that?

TCB Mafia

I have forwared the following letter of complaint to Ged Doherty the Chairman/CEO of Sony Music (UK/Ireland) (e-mail: [email protected]).

My letter is as follows:

Dear Sir,

It gives me no pleasure to complain about the way the Elvis Presley single 'Suspicious Minds' has been handled by Sony Music (UK).

Elvis Presley fans were informed by Sony that the single, taken from the forthcoming 'Viva Elvis' album, was to be released in the UK and Ireland on 25th October, 2010. It was also played at the Elvis Presley Tribute Concert in Hyde Park recently. It received its UK radio outing on Smooth Radio some three weeks ago and all fans were ready to buy it and hopefully get it a high chart placing. I personally organised a UK Radio request campaign for the single asking UK fans to e-mail their favourite DJ's to request a playing. This was published in the 'Essential Elvis' Magazine which has a circulation of some 1500-2000. This effort has now been wasted.

However, many fans like myself, and I am 66 years of age, ventured out on the 25th in the anticipation of purchasing the said single only to be informed by the record store (HMV) that they had no record of such a release. I was astounded to say the least.

Whoever was project manager for this release should be held accountable to his/her line manager and asked to make a public apology to the UK Elvis fans and indeed the public in general. No notification was given by Sony(UK) that the record would not be on sale or why. I and many others wasted time and money travelling to purchase this record.

To say I am disappointed at Sony(UK) is an understatement and feel that Elvis Presley, the biggest money spinner for the label over the years, is being treated in such a fashion. To add insult to injury I now find that the single will now be issued on the album 'Now That's What I Call Music, Volume 36' This is outrageous and a blatant use of Elvis' name to further the careers of new Sony artists.

I had ordered some 50 copies of the 'Viva Elvis' album )(genuinely) from Amazon and HMV and was going to give them as Christmas presents to relatives and friends and the remainder given to local libraries and hospices. I now find that Sony has changed the release date of the latest Susan Boyle album 'The Gift' to the same date as the 'Viva Elvis' album (8th November) which now ensures that 'Viva Elvis' has no chance of a No.1 chart entry. The irony of this is that, as you will be well aware, Boyle is also a Sony artist. Again a bad project management decision.

In the circumstances I have cancelled my orders for the 'Viva Elvis' album, apart from a copy for myself.

I sincerely hope that you will address these issues and make a statement.

Many Thanks.

Yours faithfully,

Brian Quinn

TCB Mafia

I will find out tomorrow why the 'Suspicious Minds' single was not released in the UK. Should be interesting!

Brian

Cadillac King janice mcclelland's Avatar

Excellent letter, contained everything I would have written. Thank you, for your time and effort.

TCB Mafia

I spoke with a Marketing Director from SONY(UK) this morning and put the following questions to him:

Q. Why was 'Suspicious Minds' (new version) not released in the UK?

A. Basically due to a lack of airplay and no support from the radio stations. Radio 1 and 2 would not play it and other radio stations also. This would appear to be down to the managers of these programmes being over 40 and steeped in the tradition of one should not mess with the original releases. In the circumstances we decided to pull it and save the embarrassment of having the single appear at around No.50.

Q. Why is 'Suspicious Minds' appearing on the 'Now That's What I Call Music' No.36?

A. It is only on the U.S.A. version of this album and the idea is for Elvis' music to gain exposure to a younger demographic.

Q. As Elvis and Susan Boyle are both SONY artists why have the release dates of both their latest albums been scheduled for the same date - 8th November?

A. People do not realise how difficult it is to schedule a record for release. There was no conspiracy as to both their albums being released on the same date and in fact it may actually benefit Elvis and Boyle in that they appeal to roughly the same demographic. Many people only go out to buy a record once or twice a year and in this instance Boyle fans will see the 'Viva Elvis' album in the stores alongside and may be tempted to buy it also. Of course this similarly works to Boyle's credit.

Q. Why are there only 12 tracks on the 'Viva Elvis' album?

A. Because the producer of the album felt that they were the best of the bunch basically and was not prepared to put his name to any of the others.

Q. When will the TV Campaign begin for the 'Viva Elvis' album in the UK?

A. On Sunday 7th November.

Q. Is the proposed 'Duets' album still scheduled for a 2011 release and will it be limited to only SONY artists?

A. Yes, it is still scheduled for a 2011 release and no it is not limited to SONY artists.

Well there you have it from the horses mouth. Would be interesting to hear your comments.

Brian

TCB Mafia

The other issue I forgot to mention was that of 'downloads'. Sony state that due to the demographic of those who download singles it was highly unlikely that Elvis would have achieved a high chart placing. The record world is a different place to when we all had to go out and buy hard copies. If they were still the norm then 'Suspicious Minds', with a modicum of airplay, would have had a great chance of a Top 3 single, in the UK at least.

However, Sony did apologise for not letting fans know in advance that the single was not going to be on sale on the scheduled day of release.

Brian

Coming On Strong

As much as i would like to see Elvis rack up another hit, i cant blame radio stations for not playing this single. There is so much new material by new artists released every month i suppose its only fair they have their time, its not like Elvis has`nt had a fair crack of the whip over the years regarding airplay. I did hear this mix at about 5.30 in the morning on Radio 2 i think, a few weeks ago and at the Viva show in Vegas this May....its not bad.

TCB Mafia

I did mention to Sony(UK) that there are many great 'lesser known' Elvis tracks e.g. 'Let Yourself Go' which would lend themselves to being remixed or being used on duets. By releasing the lesser known tracks instead of timeless classics e.g. 'Hound Dog', 'Jailhouse Rock', 'Suspicious Minds' etc. it would tend to incur less wrath from the traditionalist fan and DJ's alike. SONY (UK) stated they would bear this in mind for possible future releases.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Quinn View Post
    I did mention to Sony(UK) that there are many great 'lesser known' Elvis tracks e.g. 'Let Yourself Go' which would lend themselves to being remixed or being used on duets. By releasing the lesser known tracks instead of timeless classics e.g. 'Hound Dog', 'Jailhouse Rock', 'Suspicious Minds' etc. it would tend to incur less wrath from the traditionalist fan and DJ's alike. SONY (UK) stated they would bear this in mind for possible future releases.

Brian
    Yes I have voiced the same opinion for quite a while
    ALLC was virtually unknown to the world,( and even newer Elvis fans) which IMO is one of the reasons it came across as "newer and fresher" and ended up being a worldwide smash. It had so much going for it-it had a rap feel to it (more spoken than sung) the beat was perfect for remixing into a more current sound.
    But also I have a much harder stance on remixing the timeless music-because it is already so "iconic in nature-classic"..........especially when it substantially changes the song as we know it. I do not know if thats a tradionalist attitude, because I am not against remixing totally-but I worry that it will become the rule and not the exception. Already since ALLC we have seen every tom, dick, and harry....... doing remixes of classic music......especially now that many songs are hitting the 50 year copyright end in Europe.
    But you and I agree totally on the lesser known Elvis songs should be the focus of remixes.
    Work in Progress!