Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The final days of Ernst Jorgensen at the FTD label?

The final days of Ernst Jorgensen at the FTD label?

Here's a post from Elvisnews.com:

Have you heard the news? This is slightly off-topic,it's about another FTD release called "A Minnesota Moment". It has just recently turned out that Ernest Jergensen misdated School Days, Hurt, Blue Christmas and That`s All Right! These tracks are NOT from Dayton,October 26, 1976 ES as stated on the cover! They are not even from the same tour! In fact they are from Anaheim,November 30, 1976 ES. From a person who regularly releases wrongly dated concerts and uses a sound engineer like Lene Reidel,what do you expect after all? This person (Ernest Jergensen) is not suitable to handle an important label like FTD. There are too many mistakes,wrong dates,terrible covers and especially terrible sound errors so it's about time to do a petition to dump Jergensen and find someone else (hopefully a real fan) who can control the label on an acceptable way. I don't expect perfect releases,but for $35 i definitely expect less errors!!! And a little more respect towards the fans! I'm not interested in weak apologies 3 times in a year. Do it better or don't do anything at all! We deserve quality products for our hard earned money!
    http://www.elvisnews.com/articles.as...garden-71/1444

Are those tracks really wrongly dated?
    If so then i have to agree with the above poster. There are too many mistakes on the FTD releases. See the latest FTD,"Fool". On CD1 Jorgensen included 3 so called different mixes of the title track but they are 99% identical! What a waste of time.
    Even worse,on CD2 he stated that there are takes 2 and 11 of "Padre" but in fact both takes are 100% identical!!! Instead of giving us something new,he included the same take twice!
    And remember that many FTD's were partly or completely wrongly dated. "Big Boss Man" was dated march 30 1975 D/S when it was actually march 28 M/S!
    On "From Sunset To Vegas" he wrongly dated "Trying To Get To You","Heartbreak Hotel"," Elvis Talking " & "An American Trilogy". And so on.
    And do you remember the sound errors on "Unchained Melody FTD" esp. track 18 "Where No One Stands Alone"? And the other sound errors on "Too Much Monekey Business" FTD,"Easter Special" FTD,"Spring Tours 77","New Year's Eve 76" and all the others?
    Is he really the right person behind the FTD label?
    Be honest,please! Thanks.
    Last edited by danny; 10-17-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Re: The final days of Ernst Jorgensen at the FTD label?

He can do no wrong in my eyes ––Ernst has been giving us fantastic release for years – he should get a top award for his work...

That's my opinion

We are very lucky to get the releases and should be grateful!

Quote Originally Posted by my boy View Post
    He can do no wrong in my eyes ––Ernst has been giving us fantastic release for years – he should get a top award for his work...That's my opinion
    It's a very dangerous way of thinking. Millions thought the same about Hitler. They thought he's perfect and everything he's doing is right...

Yes,we are lucky and we have to be grateful to Elvis who gave these concerts,the sound engineers who recorded them and Colonel Tom Parker who kept them and later sold them to RCA.
    But we don't have to be grateful to Jorgensen imo. What did he do after all? He just destroyed the sound quality and wrongly dated them then got his payment.

He can do no wrong in my eyes ––Ernst has been giving us fantastic release for years – he should get a top award for his work...

That's my opinion

I'm In Agreement with you....can't please ALL The People ALL The Time.

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

In all honesty FTD as a label has suffered over the last couple of years, Ernst has had his time and there is little to offer that hasn't already been released on bootlegs and sometimes even in better quality! I'm sure there is some material out there yet to be released that will please the fans, unfortunately Ernst is leaving it to late and fans are already starting to loose interest...

Quote Originally Posted by danny View Post
    It's a very dangerous way of thinking. Millions thought the same about Hitler. They thought he's perfect and everything he's doing is right...

Yes,we are lucky and we have to be grateful to Elvis who gave these concerts,the sound engineers who recorded them and Colonel Tom Parker who kept them and later sold them to RCA.But we don't have to be grateful to Jorgensen imo. What did he do after all? He just destroyed the sound quality and wrongly dated them then got his payment.
    I am not sure on this point-you state Parker sold them to RCA so
    -did Elvis know about these recordings being done at his concert and Vegas dates?
    If he did know of the recordings, did he know Parker would claim them as his property and make yet another payday on Elvis's talent?
    I am not sure Parker should be thanked, for yet again making money off of Elvis-lets face it Parker did not save them for Elvis, nor his estate.... or to give fans some added concert enjoyment .......he hedged his bets by having a wealth of material in his personal vaults....in the event that something unexpected happened in the future......such as Elvis finally firing him or what indeed did happen Elvis's death at a young age. The Snowman knew how to protect his own interests above all else.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    He should have been replaces years ago. He got no eyes for talent, marketing or the younger fans.
    Ernst is just not a people's person. He only talks to one one or two fanclub owners handing out illegal soundboard to folks that kiss up to him.
    Now a days companies should transparent above everything else, something FTD never really accomplished.
    He don't understand that we, all the Elvis fans are the real FTD label.
    Agreed 100%
    He doesn't respect the fans at all,regularly giving us wrongly dated concerts,there are a lot of mastering/factual/printing errors. And he doesn't respond to fans' questions and doesn't take the responsibility for his mistakes!
    He just simply doesn't answer at all,or does answer a lie like "It was recorded bady." in case of "Unchained Melody" FTD.
    And even worse,he can't learn from his mistakes!
    He did these errors 10 years ago,5 years ago,2 years ago and even now. He just can't learn because he's already too old.

He has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I am not sure on this point-you state Parker sold them to RCA so
    -did Elvis know about these recordings being done at his concert and Vegas dates?
    If he did know of the recordings, did he know Parker would claim them as his property and make yet another payday on Elvis's talent?
    I am not sure Parker should be thanked, for yet again making money off of Elvis-lets face it Parker did not save them for Elvis, nor his estate.... or to give fans some added concert enjoyment .......he hedged his bets by having a wealth of material in his personal vaults....in the event that something unexpected happened in the future......such as Elvis finally firing him or what indeed did happen Elvis's death at a young age. The Snowman knew how to protect his own interests above all else.
    Yes,Elvis knew about these soundboard recordings.
    After his death,Tom Parker owned most of these recordings and finally sold them to RCA in the early 1980's. So we should be thankful to him! He had his mistakes but in this case he did the right thing. He kept everything, photos, soundboards, checks, souvenirs, letters and other memorabilia.
    Don't forget that others like Felton Jarvis erased certain Elvis recordings and even asked his wife to burn an alternate take of "Hurt" (with some explicit talk on it). Certain sound engineers recorded over soundboards just a few days or months after they were recorded while others like Bruce Jackson kept them and doesn't want to sell them,not even for $100000.

So YES,we have to be thankful to Colonel Parker for saving of these soundboard recordings!

International Level Tigerman1975's Avatar

After his death,Tom Parker owned most of these recordings and finally sold them to RCA in the early 1980's. So we should be thankful to him! He had his mistakes but in this case he did the right thing. He kept everything, photos, soundboards, checks, souvenirs, letters and other memorabilia.
    Don't forget that others like Felton Jarvis erased certain Elvis recordings and even asked his wife to burn an alternate take of "Hurt" (with some explicit talk on it). Certain sound engineers recorded over soundboards just a few days or months after they were recorded while others like Bruce Jackson kept them and doesn't want to sell them,not even for $100000.

So YES,we have to be thankful to Colonel Parker for saving of these soundboard recordings!
    You know as much of a crook as I have always thought Tom Parker to be, I have to agree with you. If wasnt for Tom Parker we wouldnt have had an Elvis in the long run and more than likely these recordings would have been lost. Where I come from its called biting the hand that feeds you.
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands.

Does anyobody know the date of birth of Ernst?
    I'm an astrologist and i'd like to find out a few things regarding him.

Well you and I will have to disagree-if I recall properly Parker tried using the tapes as a bargaining chip with the estate.. when it was told to sue Parker by the probate judge in charge of Elvis's will in the early 80s. If Elvis knew of the tapes he surely never thought Parker would be able to sell them-without a penny going to Lisa or his estate.....I do not think Elvis would thank him for that.
    The probate judge found that far from "mistakes" on Parkers part there was out and out misrepresentation by Parker on the contracts he negotiated for Elvis with RCA, the Vegas deals etc..... this judge was amazed to find that Parker on some deals made more than Elvis and he had several conflicts of interest in the deals (being a paid consultant to RCA for example, and "perks" Parker received in Vegas with the hotels he negotiated with-not to mention his well known gambling problem and the implications of that were not lost on this judge)......
    I would say that the fact that Parker "saved" these tapes had nothing to do with we fans "thanking him" it was strictly another form of taking care of Parker.....in similar form as the probate judge saw repeatidly in his investigations of the deals Parker had with Elvis.
    I am happy the tapes exist-but am confident that had someone else offered more money to Parker to "destroy those tapes" he would have dones so-happy in the profit he had all to himself. So my friend we disagree.
    As far as Ernst-he has been the driving force behind the FTD label and has walked the line between corporate profit wishes and trying to put out things the fans want-not an easy task, and when you are sorting thru literally thousands of hours of recordings with little info on each-mistakes are bound to happen-but perhaps some newer blood would be in order to take over the label.
    Work in Progress!

Coming On Strong

Without Jorgensen no FTD label. Without Jorgensen no Recording Session-book. Without Jorgensen no "Elvis Day-by-day" book. Without Jorgensen no 50,-60-, 70 masters boxes. He has done a wonderful job keeping the Elvis legacy still alive. Show him some respect - even with the few mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy1966 View Post
    I'm In Agreement with you....can't please ALL The People ALL The Time.
    I Agree. We should be VERY grateful to him. Even if he does make mistakes from time to time.
    Thanks Ernst!

Heartbreak Hotel, Room 11 Albert's Avatar

Ernst entered RCA in the 80s as a fan... he's now just part of the greedy corporate Sony where there's (just like with RCA and BMG) no concern for the fan, only for profit.

I really believe he's a really nice guy, but I don't believe that he can honestly admit that his goals are still the same as when he started his job. He's not (by far) giving the fans what he should be giving.

Even today there are bootlegs released that are better sounding and looking as FTD's releases..... and they cost less also.
    ‎"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today"

Follow TCB-World on Twitter for website updates and Elvisnews: http://twitter.com/tcbworldcom

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Ernst entered RCA in the 80s as a fan... he's now just part of the greedy corporate Sony where there's (just like with RCA and BMG) no concern for the fan, only for profit.I really believe he's a really nice guy, but I don't believe that he can honestly admit that his goals are still the same as when he started his job. He's not (by far) giving the fans what he should be giving.

Even today there are bootlegs released that are better sounding and looking as FTD's releases..... and they cost less also.
    I agree with you that he entered RCA as a fan-with great hope for his work for Elvis and RCA-but as you point out somewhere along the way he's quit fighting the corporate greed for profit.
    I still think hes a huge fan-but he has probably grown tired of trying to do 2 things at once-promote Elvis as a artist, and reap the acceptable profit that the corporation demands.
    If his projects are over budget, he gets heat from Sony, if they do not turn the acceptable profit he gets heat from Sony.........on the other hand he gets heat from we fans for not fighting more for the respect we (and he) knows Elvis deserves. I would not like to be in his position.
    I also have noticed a slight change in his attitude for Elvis-in one interview he commented that after hearing so many takes and live versions of Suspicious Minds it was no longer such a thrill to find others...........I still think if Elvis had only left more unreleased quality material in the vaults it would have been much easier for all involved.
    Unfortunately Elvis lost the thrill for recording in his last few years, IMO his creative spirit all but gone.......... recording had become "work" in his mind.... not creation.
    Work in Progress!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

I'm on the fence about the whole situation, especially since without Ernst, we probably wouldn't even be have an FTD label to be talking about. While I agree that paying $35 a piece for CD's filled with errors is certainly cause for concern, perhaps all of these errors are not necessarily Ernst's fault. Who's to say that the tapes Ernst has to work from aren't incorrectly dated to start with?? Who's to say that some of the master tapes that Ernst has to work with aren't damaged in such a way as to cause some of the audio quality issues that have been documented on the various FTD releases?? Who's to say that, if Ernst leaves RCA, the FTD label (and even Elvis' entire catalog for that point) won't suffer significantly? Without Ernst around, my gut feeling is that Elvis' entire catalog may not continue to be cared for as well as it has.

Are there mistakes on the FTD releases? Of course there are...as I said, the mistakes have been well documented. But consider the alternative...

Perhaps a more suitable answer could be to simply decrease the number of FTD releases each year. By doing so, it would give Ernst and his team more time to correct some of these errors in dating material and fixing the audio quality issues instead of having to rush around just to meet distribution deadlines. This idea would be a win-win for everyone in my opinion. The FTD label would be able to release CD's with (hopefully) no, or at least less, errors and the fans wouldn't have to shell out so much money for so many releases each year.

Just my two-cents...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    I'm on the fence about the whole situation, especially since without Ernst, we probably wouldn't even be have an FTD label to be talking about. While I agree that paying $35 a piece for CD's filled with errors is certainly cause for concern, perhaps all of these errors are not necessarily Ernst's fault. Who's to say that the tapes Ernst has to work from aren't incorrectly dated to start with?? Who's to say that some of the master tapes that Ernst has to work with aren't damaged in such a way as to cause some of the audio quality issues that have been documented on the various FTD releases?? Who's to say that, if Ernst leaves RCA, the FTD label (and even Elvis' entire catalog for that point) won't suffer significantly? Without Ernst around, my gut feeling is that Elvis' entire catalog may not continue to be cared for as well as it has.

Are there mistakes on the FTD releases? Of course there are...as I said, the mistakes have been well documented. But consider the alternative...

Perhaps a more suitable answer could be to simply decrease the number of FTD releases each year. By doing so, it would give Ernst and his team more time to correct some of these errors in dating material and fixing the audio quality issues instead of having to rush around just to meet distribution deadlines. This idea would be a win-win for everyone in my opinion. The FTD label would be able to release CD's with (hopefully) no, or at least less, errors and the fans wouldn't have to shell out so much money for so many releases each year.

Just my two-cents...

TCB!
    Mike
    I agree with a lot of what you say.
    IMO The FTD label is only around for the fans-and they are limited by what they have in the vaults-some seem to want them to produce things they do not have. Some of the things they do have could very well have damage, or very poor sound quality and lastly 200 soundboards may seem like a lot....but thats all for eternity.
    I think its fair to be critical of mistakes but we should all remember these things were not truely catalogued properly to start with, they were haphazardly taken care of at best and when you try to sort thru miles of tapes and cassettes its very laborous and mistakes happen. I actually would not want the job of trying to promote Elvis in todays world because its a no win situation-someone is always going to be upset.
    Work in Progress!

Here's a post from Elvisnews.com:

http://www.elvisnews.com/articles.as...garden-71/1444

Are those tracks really wrongly dated?
    If so then i have to agree with the above poster. There are too many mistakes on the FTD releases. See the latest FTD,"Fool". On CD1 Jorgensen included 3 so called different mixes of the title track but they are 99% identical! What a waste of time.
    Even worse,on CD2 he stated that there are takes 2 and 11 of "Padre" but in fact both takes are 100% identical!!! Instead of giving us something new,he included the same take twice!
    And remember that many FTD's were partly or completely wrongly dated. "Big Boss Man" was dated march 30 1975 D/S when it was actually march 28 M/S!
    On "From Sunset To Vegas" he wrongly dated "Trying To Get To You","Heartbreak Hotel"," Elvis Talking " & "An American Trilogy". And so on.
    And do you remember the sound errors on "Unchained Melody FTD" esp. track 18 "Where No One Stands Alone"? And the other sound errors on "Too Much Monekey Business" FTD,"Easter Special" FTD,"Spring Tours 77","New Year's Eve 76" and all the others?
    Is he really the right person behind the FTD label?
    Be honest,please! Thanks.
    this is hardly a reason to get rid of ERNST , he has done his best to satisfy fans with what he has bin given/have , when he first came on board he had lots to prove and he and simon have proved that they are worthy. I among many fans who have bin in the ELVIS WORLD for eons are very happy with him and the label[yes they have their faults] but they also saved us from all those bad releases we had on vinyl after E.P,.'s death[most of those were rehashes with one alternate here and there] joan deary paved the way with her idea of the performer series and ERNST and SIMON revamped and took us on a great journey that still continues till today, i think he should be given an award for all the hard work that he has done and make no mistake he is truly a fan through and through, i for one hope he stays. It's as easy as this if you don't like him or the product just don't buy it , stick with some of the boot cds that have bin comming out [mostly ar's] with inferior sound .

According to my source:
    Oh, well...Hawaiian Wedding Song is NOT as stated Sioux Fall October 18, 1976 it is also Anaheim November 30, 1976.."this is the moment..Oh Lord ..of sweet Aloha"...and after the song.. "just married...thank you very much"..identify this song as also being from Anaheim. So all three sequent tracks H.Wedd.Song, Blue Xmas and That`s all Right are from Anaheim...Nov. 30, 1976. This makes sense since all songs were sung in exactly this order.
    As for Minnesota Moment:
    Introductions (dated Dayton, October 26, 1976)
    Hurt (dated Dayton, October 26, 1976)
    Hawaiian Wedding Song (dated Sioux Fall, October 18, 1976)
    Blue Christmas (dated Dayton, October 26, 1976)
    That`s all Right (dated Dayton, October 26, 1976)
    Are all from Anaheim November 30, 1976!!! ES

What a substandard work,Ernst.

Ernst is probably singing My Way quite often in these days.

And now,the end is near...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast