Thread: Elvis saved Bruce Springsteen (a bit lengthy but worth the read)

Elvis saved Bruce Springsteen (a bit lengthy but worth the read)

Excerpt from the book "Runaway Dream - Born To Run and Bruce Springsteen's American Vision"
    There is another presence on the cover of Born To Run. Attached to Springsteen's guitar strap is an Elvis Presley Fan Club pin.....Elvis was my religion says Bruce but for him I'd be selling encyclopedias right now." Watching Elvis on the Ed Sullivan show led to his first guitar....Still he couldn't imagine anyone not wanting to be Elvis Presley. Time and again Springsteen has talked about how rock n roll saved his life, and the list of influences always begins with Elvis. Bruce told Will Percy that "you could make an argument that one of the most socially conscious artist of the second half of this century was Elvis Presley, even if he didn't start out out with any set of political ideas that he wanted to accomplish. He said "I'm all shook up and I want to shake you up,' and that's what happened."
    Elvis saved Bruce twice over....In 1976 in the midst of a hastily put-together tour of the south, Bruce found himself in Memphis. He, Steve Van Zandt, and a publicist decided to take a taxi to Graceland. When Bruce got there at three a.m. he saw lights on and thought, I gotta see if he's home. Springsteen climed over the gate and started walking up the driveway. A guard stopped him near the house. Bruce asked if Elvis was home and the guard said he was in Lake Tahoe. He tried talking his way in, saying what a big rock star he had become. The guard gently ushered him toward the gate. Years later, when Springsteen's own fame approached that of Elvis's, he came to a deeper understanding of the meaning of the episode. He admitted to a concert audience that he "used to wonder what I would have said if I had knocked on the door and if Elvis had come to the door. Because it really wasn't Elvis I was going to see, but it was like he came along and whispered some dream in everybody's ear and somehow we all dreamed it."...."I do not believe that the essence of the rock n roll idea was to exalt the cult of personality. That is a sidetrack, a dead-end street. That is not the thing to do. And I've been as guilty of it as anybody in my life. When I jumped over that wall to meet Elvis that night I didn't know who I was gonna meet. An the guard stopped me at the door did me the biggest favor of my life. I had misunderstood. It was innocent, and I was having a ball but it wasn't right. In the end you can not live inside that dream."
    Springsteen's mature reflections on the price and meaning of fame would allow him to do his work and escape a lonely tragic end. This was all in the future. the twenty four year-old kid who wore the Elvis fan club button believed in the saving power of rock n roll and marveled at how Presley's music "came in and took away so many people's loneliness and gave so many people a reason and sense of all the possibilities of living."

Re: Elvis saved Bruce Springsteen (a bit lengthy but worth the read)

A great read, thank you.

SleepyJack

Enjoyed reading that.I`ve always had great respect for Bruce Springsteen and he always speaks with respect and love when he talks about Elvis.Thanks for sharing this with us.

This is a wonderful article, thank you for sharing.

I'm so glad I could share this with people who can really appreciate this.

It was a good article. Yep, bruce always loved Elvis for sure