Thread: GK on Elvis. UK newspaper article

Cadillac King

GK on Elvis. UK newspaper article

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Re: GK on Elvis. UK newspaper article

I find it hard to read these things because they always put themselves as Elvis' best friend and confident! George is just like all the others, selfish. We have all heard the different stories and yes we have heard the dirt being dished out to make a book more attractive to potential buyers, however it just leaves a bad taste when I hear about two way mirrors, visiting morgues and how George tried to save Elvis and then blame Vernon and Colonel Parker. Basically George is saying "Hey I was there for the good times, but I wasn't responsible for the bad times because that was the Colonel and Vernon's area of responsibility".

If George was a true friend like he says he was then he would have taken positive action and not worried about being welcome at Graceland, the fact he was worried about being welcome at Graceland tells me that George was more worried about Elvis' celebrity than Elvis' health.

George is just another cut throat in the Elvis world

Cadillac King

I agree Jumpsuit Junkie he does like to make out he was there from the start as Elvis' best best friend. Its a shame really because he seems like he could be a nice guy if he wasn't, as you say so cut throat.

I agree Jumpsuit Junkie, that's why I appreciate Jerry Schilling so much! Thanks for the link italianfan.

Agree 100% with you, it makes me feel for Elvis even more when so called best friends write books like this.

Quote Originally Posted by italianfan View Post
    I agree Jumpsuit Junkie he does like to make out he was there from the start as Elvis' best best friend. Its a shame really because he seems like he could be a nice guy if he wasn't, as you say so cut throat.
    Thanks for the link, sorry I got into a rant, it must be that I'm on my third coffee this morning

GK probably has some fantastic stories to tell, but he just can't be objective, if all the MM (or 90%) were Elvis' best friend why are they all so intent on dishing the dirt and distancing themselves from the truth that they were enablers. I prefer the West's because even if you doubt their motives, at least they acknowledged the drug problem head on even if they did it in anger.

GK seems nice on the surface, although there could be something a little darker in the centre (cue the sinister music)

Cadillac King

it must be that I'm on my third coffee this morning
    haha aren't we all

Cadillac King

Maybe we should know the reasons behind TCB & how so many "forgot" ?

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/intervie...ith_part1.html

EIN: Your relationship with Elvis is probably best symbolised by 'The Pledge'. How did it come about?

Billy: The pledge came about because we had an incident as kids and were never to talk about it. We promised each other. Later on Elvis told someone and it hurt me a lot, and he knew it. He decided to prove to me that it would never happen again, and that's how the pledge came about. Now it was a known fact among the guys that Elvis couldn't keep a secret, but if it was really important, he did. He never betrayed me again. Nor I him. I don't know where it came from or if Elvis just made it up. But he knew it from memory, and we went over it several times so I could memorize it. Afterwards we both cried like crazy and I'll remember it as long as I live.
    The first two verses went like this . .

"It's just a simple word, you see,
    To get inside you need no key.
    For we who know, know it well,
    And you who don't can never tell.

As I place my hand upon your heart,
    And you place yours on mine.
    From this day forward, our minds, our souls,
    Our hearts will intertwine."

SleepyJack

I never know what to think of George Klein.He certainly loves to talk a lot and he makes himself out to be far more important in the Elvis story than he actually was.I think there might actually be some good in him deep down,but he became too dependant on his connection to Elvis as a way to get himself noticed.I also find his way of talking kind of annoying...sometimes he really over-does the whole cool dj Rock`n`Roll hipster thing..can be very annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    I never know what to think of George Klein.He certainly loves to talk a lot and he makes himself out to be far more important in the Elvis story than he actually was.I think there might actually be some good in him deep down,but he became too dependant on his connection to Elvis as a way to get himself noticed.I also find his way of talking kind of annoying...sometimes he really over-does the whole cool dj Rock`n`Roll hipster thing..can be very annoying!
    100% agreed with the above, it's almost like he tries too hard to be at the centre of attention, almost like, Larry Geller

International Level Nicole Presley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by italianfan View Post
    I agree Jumpsuit Junkie he does like to make out he was there from the start as Elvis' best best friend.
    I read George Kleinīs book. And in his book he says when he knew him in school they werenīt friends yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    I find it hard to read these things because they always put themselves as Elvis' best friend and confident! George is just like all the others, selfish. We have all heard the different stories and yes we have heard the dirt being dished out to make a book more attractive to potential buyers, however it just leaves a bad taste when I hear about two way mirrors, visiting morgues and how George tried to save Elvis and then blame Vernon and Colonel Parker. Basically George is saying "Hey I was there for the good times, but I wasn't responsible for the bad times because that was the Colonel and Vernon's area of responsibility".

If George was a true friend like he says he was then he would have taken positive action and not worried about being welcome at Graceland, the fact he was worried about being welcome at Graceland tells me that George was more worried about Elvis' celebrity than Elvis' health.

George is just another cut throat in the Elvis world
    Everyone around him was guilty for his downfall. Including the fans for putting him on such a high pedestal for him to never see what was happening to himself.
    Check out my new blog about Elvis Presley @ http://elvis21century.blogspot.com/