Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elvis' mid life crisi

Elvis' mid life crisi

expert:
    * massive selling records, done
    * sold out concerts and tours, done
    * hit movies, done
    * tv appearances and specials, done

Like a lot of entertainers, Elvis tried his hand at the other side of the camera coming up with an idea for a karate documentary/movie that he would narrate and perform in.

But, lacking the business skills and oddly enough, industry connections Elvis never really trusted Hollywood after they used him and never took him seriously. That ran out of steam too.

As charitable as Elvis was in donating money to charities, benefit concerts, publicly participating in charity campaigns like the March of Dimes and Blood Donation he never set up a formal foundation to manage his donations and receive tax benefits from it and perhaps if he had a foundation, this would have be a source of much pride and satisfaction for him, instead of the ad hoc way he supported charities and gave to individuals.

Sort of like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet now.

http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/2010/05/...ne-in-despair/
    _________
    there is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Nina's Elvis blogs: http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/elvis-index/

Re: Elvis' mid life crisi

Basically, Elvis had no respect for money, meaning that he spent it like it was going out of style! Yes it came back to haunt him a bit as he got older, but he had a lot of fun along the way, sharing his wealth. Joe Louis (the great heavyweight boxing champion of the 30's) owed the IRS a lot of money, (this after making a ton during the great depression) long after he retired and this always put a fear into Elvis that this could happen to him, thus he didn't look for any loopholes, instead, he paid huge taxes.

Where entertainers setting up foundations in Elvis time? I think of this as a more recent occurance. Lisa has set up Presley Place (i think it's called that ). I think if Elvis was alive today he would be proud of it.

I also think Elvis didn't like getting to much attention for his donations. He just want to help without to much fan fare.

Does anyone know if the Pearl Harbour monument has a mention of Elvis' role in helping to get it built?
    Last edited by hounddog; 05-28-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: to fix unlcear info on Presly Place
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

It did have a plaque giving Elvis credit for his efforts for fund raising

however the department responsible for the memorial, a US Senator had it removed in the 80s because he felt Elvis was a bad role model.
    _________

personally i think that plaque needs to be replaced. How dare someone just erase anyone's contribution just because they don't "approve" of the person. Ok rant finished. Thank you for the info monk37.

links:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=3ixn...morial&f=false

Scotty Moore's site has pictures of Elvis at the memorial
    http://www.scottymoore.net/blocharena.html
    _________

When you love Jesus as your Lord and Savior as E did, when you tell what you give to people that in itself is your reward. E's strength was a humble man.

I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..

I'm sorry dear, I am one who feels he(Elvis) had no such thing as a mislife crisis per say... his short 42 years was a crisis pretty much all the way through, in one manner or another. God rest his soul. Nobody that wonderful, talented and handsome should have had so much going for him and so many taking it away...

"I just wanna be......your Teddy Bear"

I have two homes, and have been on the road, normally I live inSeattle and Spokane area..

Dear Lord I hope I am correct, but I do believe that there is in truth a memorial and honoring of Elvis Presley's contributions, as well as the Hospital in Memphis.If I'm wrong we can all just be madder than we are already..

Elvis had respect for what mattered the most, and money was not it. People, people in need, animals in need and people not as lucky as he was to have anything he wanted.

Last time I was at Pearl Harbour there was a sign that did mention Elvis`role (2007)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0331.jpg  

I'm 42 and having a midlife crisis.

I think turning 40 was when Elvis' started
    _________

There is no such thing as a midlife crisis. It's just a label that many unhappy people create to push the responsibility of their misery to some outside factor. How is turning 40 a "crisis"?

i'm glad that the memorial at pearl Harbour mentions Elvis and his benefit concerts for the memorial

Im 44 What Is A mid -life Crisis?
    I'm Having A Wonderful Time And Life IS THE BEST...

Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    There is no such thing as a midlife crisis. It's just a label that many unhappy people create to push the responsibility of their misery to some outside factor.
    Great post. And greater avatar picture. Love him in that gold colour shirt, with the tan! and the long sideburns.

Anyway, 50 is the new 40 or something like that! apparently!

SleepyJack

How can you have a mid-life crisis if you don`t know when the end is going to be?...and if you don`t know the end then you don`t know where the middle is....... and that`s all I got to say about that!

If you aren't midlife or where lucky enough to be happy with your life at that time, then more power to you.

it doesn't make it not real for other people - the pressure and expectation on you to have achieved a certain level and falling short does make people act out

in the 70's, - partly following on the 60's - don't trust anyone over 30 - for Elvis turning 40 in 75, you can't pretend that you're a 20 something anymore

also in the 70's the life expectancy was lower - so 40, and you could reasonably expect your self to be passed the halfway mark to the age you die

40s is when you re-evalute
    _________

you just go by the insurance agency charts for life expectancy - how long do people of you gender, smoking,drinking habits, wieght, lifestyle (food/exercise) - and throw in your particular family average
    _________

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    How can you have a mid-life crisis if you don`t know when the end is going to be?...and if you don`t know the end then you don`t know where the middle is....... and that`s all I got to say about that!

GOOD ONE
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast