Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Paying Tribute to The King

Re: Paying Tribute to The King

Wow John Lennon,,,, how cool! Sad part I don't think he knew what Elvis said to Nixon

THE SMITHS, doing "His Latest Flame" on a medley with one of their own: Rusholme Ruffians. That Morrisey, another Elvis fan.

Last edited by Raised on Rock; 10-19-2010 at 01:20 AM.

Jimi Hendrix, who in fact went to an Elvis concert in '57, and once described Elvis as: a fine Blues singer.

Jerry Lee Lewis, at the Toronto Rock & Roll Festival, 1969. Man that was one festival Elvis should and could have closed.

Here is Willie Nelson & Leon Rusell: Heartbreak Hotel

John Lennon elected for a 1950s sound for (Just Like) Starting Over, telling the engineer Lee DeCarlo: "Make me magnificent, Lee, make me the man of my dreams. I want Elvis Vincent."

Prior to take one he dedicated the song to "Gene and Eddie and Elvis... and Buddy!"

"I'd done that music and identified with it - that was my period - but I'd never written a song that sounded like that period. So I just thought, Why the hell not? In the Beatles days that would have been taken as a joke. One avoided clichés. 'Course now clichés are not clichés anymore."

John Lennon, 1980

Hope nobody got offended by the lyrics, but this is a fine tribute, as the best tribute is to build your own sound and expres your own ideology, based on the sound of the music you love the most and is the main root of what you do.

Here are the Cramps:

Dedicated to all the ones that stated Micheal Jackson is now the King... bla bla.

But of course here are the covers:

Rick Nelson That's Alright Mama 1985 Live with the Jordanaires

Whoe! I don't get it. Sorry, Ricky Nelson was okay, but the other 2 I am lost. Of course no one could ever top Elvis. What are you trying to say with that first one?

Of course Elvis was alot of blues.

This is one guy I do not like: yuko! !

John lennon loved Elvis, little did he know what Elvis told Nixon.

Quote Originally Posted by yisagirl1 View Post
    Whoe! I don't get it. Sorry, Ricky Nelson was okay, but the other 2 I am lost. Of course no one could ever top Elvis. What are you trying to say with that first one?
    Yisagirl1, I'm not sure what are you talking about or to who are you talking to. It would be great if you could quote the post you are talking about.

Anyway, if you are talking about the post showing The Cramps it is here in this thread to say what all the other post showing other bands are saying: This is a Band that had a name and fame on their own (not a tribute/impresonactor act), that at one point wanted to show their love to Elvis and to tribute the huge influence/inspiration Elvis was to them. (That despite how much we might or not like their music and the job they did on his songs)

I started this thread as I believe the best tributes come from people that had a career and a sound of their own. I'm not so much into a dude spending his time badly disguised as Elvis doing a fool of himself and ruining Elvis image while embarrasing him and all Elvis fans with his act. Most impersonactors doesn't have a music career of their own, some not even a life of their own, that's flattering to Elvis? No way. The bands in this thread do HAVE a music career and some fame on their own, and in a big percent thanks to Elvis inspiration, now that IT IS flattering to Elvis, don't you think?
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 01-08-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Um, okay maybe I am slow! I was referring to the cramps first video. Awe, don't mind me.

Long before all the remixes, in 1998 Alec Empire (Atari Teenage Riot) decided to work on some Elvis material, the result was Alec Empire vs. Elvis, no this is no JXL vs Elvis dance stuff dance electronica, and forget about Viva Elvis, this was about Noise Art, and it was not done for the money, as he kept the album rolling only for friends for a while, until it got bootleged and circulated the underground on vinyl for a while, now is hard to find. Why Elvis? cause as far as his work with Atari Teenage Riot seem from Elvis, Alec is another die hard fan.

A video was made for the track "You Ain't Nothing" by Empire's friend and collaborator Philipp "Virus" Reichenheim. The Museum of Modern Art in New York, included it in its collection.

I think this guy could have a career of his own and we might hear some more Elvis from him...

Last edited by Miss Clawdy; 05-11-2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: replace video

Quote Originally Posted by Raised on Rock View Post
    Yisagirl1, I'm not sure what are you talking about or to who are you talking to. It would be great if you could quote the post you are talking about.

Anyway, if you are talking about the post showing The Cramps it is here in this thread to say what all the other post showing other bands are saying: This is a Band that had a name and fame on their own (not a tribute/impresonactor act), that at one point wanted to show their love to Elvis and to tribute the huge influence/inspiration Elvis was to them. (That despite how much we might or not like their music and the job they did on his songs)

I started this thread as I believe the best tributes come from people that had a career and a sound of their own. I'm not so much into a dude spending his time badly disguised as Elvis doing a fool of himself and ruining Elvis image while embarrasing him and all Elvis fans with his act. Most impersonactors doesn't have a music career of their own, some not even a life of their own, that's flattering to Elvis? No way. The bands in this thread do HAVE a music career and some fame on their own, and in a big percent thanks to Elvis inspiration, now that IT IS flattering to Elvis, don't you think?
    I think Yisa made her self perfectly clear. She wasn't impressed with the Cramps,Rick Nelson's version didn't measure up to Elvis',and also Elvis considered John Lennon a threat to the youth of America even after saying he admired the Beatles.
    Although I agree with your views on the ETAs I would not casll the Cramps versions tributes, more like murder. At least the ETAs give Elvis a little respect.
    Now something for Albert and TCB. Have you lowered your standards? I can remember when you couldn't use the words ****,***** or hell among others. Now I see the the 'F' word being used,and I even saw a movie clip on someone's page showing a couple having sex.Don't get me wrong I don't favour censorship, but you seem to have gone from one extreme to the other.
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8558/42274.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I think Yisa made her self perfectly clear. She wasn't impressed with the Cramps,Rick Nelson's version didn't measure up to Elvis',and also Elvis considered John Lennon a threat to the youth of America even after saying he admired the Beatles.
    Although I agree with your views on the ETAs I would not casll the Cramps versions tributes, more like murder. At least the ETAs give Elvis a little respect.
    Now something for Albert and TCB. Have you lowered your standards? I can remember when you couldn't use the words ****,***** or hell among others. Now I see the the 'F' word being used,and I even saw a movie clip on someone's page showing a couple having sex.Don't get me wrong I don't favour censorship, but you seem to have gone from one extreme to the other.
    As I clearly stated at the begining of this thread: this one is not about to judge how great or lousy are the bands/singers presented here (nevertheless to compare their talent with Elvis), but just to present them as people who openly acknowledge Elvis Presley as an influence in they work (whatever if we love it or hated it) and at one point, without any need of it, just because they dig Elvis, they have perform his stuff at one point.

You can rightfuly dislike The Cramps (in a way that's what they want) as any other member can openly dislike Ricky Nelson. I love them both. They are both declared Elvis Fans, and that is the only reason they are presented here.

I never ever wanted to offend you or anyone by posting a video with the "F" word. (I do apologize if I did).

But I don't think the moderators are lowering any standars by allowing me to post it and not delete the video.

Why? Because it is only here to present one aspect in music history or in modern pop culture (that despite their actually offending nature -that was punk rock right?) do presents Elvis as an influential figure to be acknoledged. We can love or hate the punk rock/ psycobilly stuff, but it was a crucial point in rock development, and Elvis influence is right there, despite how removed from the original 50's rockers it could sound on the surface. So, there you go. It sounds murder to you, that's ok with me, so did sound Hound Dog to a few thousands back in '56.

I wasn't been rude with Yisa, I really didn't get what was she talking about. So I did asked her in a polite way.

There are quotes and stuff to state Elvis actually loved the Beatles, there are quotes and stuff to state that he didn't like some aspects of their drug phase. Whatever he thought of them, or about Lennon as a solo act or his political statments is not the topic here. Lennon loved Elvis Presley and made tributes to him over and over, that's why he is presented in this thread

The Clash, well as far as I know they never recorded and Elvis song. But to make a tribute to Elvis first album, that in the cover of their most well known album, is not only a great tribute, but back then, it was a statment about the meaning of punk rock and his relation with the original 50's rock & roll music. Yes, Elvis was the original punk.

And If the cover wasn't clear enough, they manage to use Elvis himself in one of the promotional posters of their great: "London Calling".

Here it is: Father and Sons!

Last edited by Raised on Rock; 05-08-2011 at 08:29 PM.