Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1990's ELVIS TV Series On ABC

Mad Tigers

1990's ELVIS TV Series On ABC

Just wondering how many people have seen the 1990 TV series starring Michael St. Gerard? In my opinion it is the best Elvis-related product committed to film.

It's a shame it only lasted a total of 13 episodes, as it really did do a great job of "recreating" the early days of Elvis, and Sun Studios as well. Michael St. Gerard had a VERY eerie resemblance to a young Elvis, and the costuming and even HAIR were all top-notch.

For those who haven't, here's a little "tidbit" from the show. It's definitely worth finding, especially for die-hard fans!

Re: 1990's ELVIS TV Series On ABC

I also liked it And i agree that Michael did potray Elvis really good

I loved the series, I think i taped it on VHS when it was on, i've seen it available on DVD recently
    here's some info on the actor Michael St. Gerard who played Elvis in this role
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0820544/bio
    I never looked for trouble but I never ran.

St Gerard played a decent Elvis and it should have lasted more than 13 episodes. I didnt think that Jonathan Rhys Meyers did a bad job of playing a young Elvis in 2005. I am still holding out for them to grow his hair and sideburns long and finish the story. For some reason, these Hollywood producers always shy away from Elvis in the 1970's because they are still afraid of what people might think and thats sad. He's the King, we love him no matter what.
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands....

I also enjoyed Michael St Gerard as Elvis. J.R.M. was a poor choice to play Elvis I.M.O. But not as bad as Don Johnson in Elvis and the beauty Queen
    I'm the King of the Jungle, They call me Tigerman

]

I really enjoyed that series a lot and had home taped it, bought a VHS release of the first 4 episodes, but never found any more and now I have it on DVD from unofficial sources.

St. Gerard played Elvis more than any other actor - three or four times in movies and tv shows.

The only drawback to the series was not using Elvis' recordings - I loath Ronnie McDowell who has voiced Elvis in almost every production

When I saw Bend it Like Beckham, with Jonathan Rhys Meyers playing the coach, I was struck at how Elvis he looked and was not surprised when he played him.

I think he did a good job, the problem was in the script or the editing. The 2005 Elvis didn't flow - it wasn't done like a miniseries where the action built - it seemed more like a clip show of showing you key moments rather than a narrative story.

The other problems were script related with "Elvis" knowing more in the movie that he would have at the time - the scene where he references Parker being an illegal alien - that wasn't rumoured or known until Parker revealed it in the 1980's when he tried to avoid being sued by EPE.

And the scene with Elvis and Priscilla where Elvis explains about his sexual hang ups - I doubt anyone even now has that kind of insight into their kinks and hangups.
    _________
    there is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Nina's Elvis blogs: http://ntrygg.wordpress.com/elvis-index/

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

I thought the ABC series with Michael St. Gerard was an exceptional series, both in quality and acting. In my opinion, I truly think St. Gerard has done the best job portraying Elvis...the looks, the mannerisms...fantastic!! It truly is a shame that the series didn't last longer than it did...

As for Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, all I can say is UGH!!! I honestly don't know who thought of him to portray Elvis, but I hope that person was fired....awful!!! I agree with monk37 that part of the problem with the 2005 mini-series was the script...it jumped around too much and there were too many inaccuracies in the script to make it historically correct. But again, the casting of Rhys-Meyers as Elvis was a horrible choice (in my opinion)...

hounddog - where did you see the ABC series available on DVD?? I would definitely be interested in checking that out myself...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

Cadillac King

Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, UGH too !!! Michael St Gerard, not so bad .
    Don Johnson.....worst, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    Don Johnson.....worst, IMO.
    If there was an award for "Worst Portrayal of Elvis Presley", Don Johnson would win it HANDS-DOWN!!!

TCB!
    Mike

I loved this series, Priscilla had a lot to do with this one.

I dream a world where man no other man
    will scorn. Where LOVE will bless the earth
    and peace its paths adorn...

I enjoyed this series too. Michael portrayed the young Elvis very well.

Diane

i've seen it on ebay but also at ioffer and sell.com
    http://www.ioffer.com/i/ELVIS-1990-T...-DVD-109719641
    http://www.sell.com/23MP3F

i haven't bought it from any of these sites so i don't know about the quality of the disc.

I recorded it on VHS when it was on-unfortunately one of my machines ate it years ago. I thought it was done very well, if they had actually used Elvis's music instead of McDowells vocals it would have been better.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    i've seen it on ebay but also at ioffer and sell.com
    http://www.ioffer.com/i/ELVIS-1990-T...-DVD-109719641
    http://www.sell.com/23MP3F

i haven't bought it from any of these sites so i don't know about the quality of the disc.
    Thanks for the information hounddog!!!

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TCB81975 View Post
    St Gerard played a decent Elvis and it should have lasted more than 13 episodes. I didnt think that Jonathan Rhys Meyers did a bad job of playing a young Elvis in 2005. I am still holding out for them to grow his hair and sideburns long and finish the story. For some reason, these Hollywood producers always shy away from Elvis in the 1970's because they are still afraid of what people might think and thats sad. He's the King, we love him no matter what.
    your right my friend they ALWAYS SHY away from Elvis in the late 60's n 70's, although i dont think they'll be finishing the story sad, also bucause i think mr meyers had some not to nice comments about Elvis.
    Play it James!

Quote Originally Posted by molokai123 View Post
    although i dont think they'll be finishing the story sad, also bucause i think mr meyers had some not to nice comments about Elvis.
    Really? I never heard about that. Do you know what he said?
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands....

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    I thought the ABC series with Michael St. Gerard was an exceptional series, both in quality and acting. In my opinion, I truly think St. Gerard has done the best job portraying Elvis...the looks, the mannerisms...fantastic!! It truly is a shame that the series didn't last longer than it did...

As for Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, all I can say is UGH!!! I honestly don't know who thought of him to portray Elvis, but I hope that person was fired....awful!!! I agree with monk37 that part of the problem with the 2005 mini-series was the script...it jumped around too much and there were too many inaccuracies in the script to make it historically correct. But again, the casting of Rhys-Meyers as Elvis was a horrible choice (in my opinion)...

hounddog - where did you see the ABC series available on DVD?? I would definitely be interested in checking that out myself...

TCB!
    Mike
    About the Elvis series with JRM, I totally agree with you. Yet there is one thing we can not forget about those series: is the best production ever done on an Elvis themed movie or series, far superior from the 90's Elvis series with Michael St Gerard or anything else.

2005 Elvis series got the clothes right, and I mean every little detail of them, the scenarios, the haircuts, wow that was fantastic! and is the only one I remember that actually uses Elvis music and not someone else performance, that was a big step forward. To bad the scrip, the storylines and JRM where not up to the production values.

The 90's TV series where most enjoyable in terms of story line, it was a GOOD Tv serie I mean, if if you where not a fan you could find it entertainable even. But personally I don't like to much Micheal ST Gerald performances, to much on the cliché side of 50's Elvis.

Best Elvis performance still is Kurt Russell, to bad is to old now to give us another Presley deliver.

Now, if a definitive Elvis bioptic is to be filmed, finally with the right script, the right production, the right director, the right cast, everything in its right place, the big question is: Who will you say, could be taking Elvis role? (that could be a thread in itself haha)

Believe it or not I once though of Joaquin Phoenix for that, but hell, he is Johnny Cash now, and he did it good.
    Last edited by Raised on Rock; 05-02-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    If there was an award for "Worst Portrayal of Elvis Presley", Don Johnson would win it HANDS-DOWN!!!

TCB!
    Mike
    Don Johnson as Elvis, man Jonathan Rhys-Meyers IS Elvis Presley besides that abomination.
    But let's not forget Mr. Johnson has a big contender to win that price: the guy (whatever his name is) who played Elvis in another abomination: Elvis and Nixon.

Lord have mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB81975 View Post
    Really? I never heard about that. Do you know what he said?
    i beleive i read it on Elvis infonet or elvisnews.com a few years ago but it was about Elvis wearin eye shadow or sumthing about make up, it took awhile but here goes a link buddy

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...as-gay_1000355

i remeber when i read this i got pretty pissed off.
    Play it James!

i also remember that JRM had some slightly off things to say about Elvis wearing makeup. Who cares if he wore makeup and mascara one could say he was yet again just ahead of his time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast