View Poll Results: Which Time Period Would You Have Liked To Hang With Elvis?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1954 - 1958 Rebel Elvis

17 25.00%
  • 1958 - 1965 Army & Movies

5 7.35%
  • 1965 - 1968 Movies

1 1.47%
  • 1968 - 1971 68 Special, TTWII

34 50.00%
  • 1971 - 1975 On Tour & Aloha

8 11.76%
  • 1975 - 1977 Elvis In Concert

3 4.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everyday Elvis

Too Much Monkey Business Jumpsuit Junkie's Avatar

Re: Everyday Elvis

68-71 is a great period for sure.

oh yea - 54-58 - the early years. He was so accessible - just the kid standing on the corner - or as Guralnick's friend said - just sitting at the
    drug store counter waiting for his pals to get off of work. Watching him perform at Eagles Nest or at Hardware Store Openings on flatbed trucks -
    that's just incredible to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my fav..jpg   12010.jpg  

Just pretend, I'm holding you, and whispering things soft and low.
    And think of me, how it's gonna be and just pretend I didn't go

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

Very interesting question Matt.

I for one who have hung out with Elvis any year from 1954-1977. But to narrow my pick down I go for 1968-1973. The Comeback of his career to the highest point with the Aloha Special. Many key events in Elvis' life happened during these years that staged for his early death. I would have loved to witness though, the comeback, the live shows from 1969, his first tour of 1970 in over thirteen years. Thats why I would choose these years. And I think for the most part Elvis was an upbeat person , and there never would have been a dull moment.
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

The concerts of 1969 are spectacular, you have a star being reborn, he has to prove himself all over again. Elvis is just about as good as you are ever going to get in August 1969.

It's hard to describe how Elvis is, its like he can't be contained, he can't sing raw enough, the music is fast paced. Nothing is thrown away, Nothing taken for granted.

I would give almost anything to have been there.

Elvis Presley Blvd Unchained Melody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    The concerts of 1969 are spectacular, you have a star being reborn, he has to prove himself all over again. Elvis is just about as good as you are ever going to get in August 1969.

It's hard to describe how Elvis is, its like he can't be contained, he can't sing raw enough, the music is fast paced. Nothing is thrown away, Nothing taken for granted.

I would give almost anything to have been there.
    Brilliant post. After 1970, the oldies were pretty much throw aways, during the first couple of years into the comback of live performances, they were treated with respect and he burned 'em up too.

The only time period I would rate over 1969 as far as a well rounded performer but still rock 'n' rollin' as much would be the January - Feburary 1970 Vegas Engagement. The addition of songs like Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy, still with rockin' songs like Polk Salad, Long Tall Sally, gives a more contemporary feel of Elvis as an artist, but still rockin' like that of 1969!
    "How do I get placed in situations like this? Ah hell, I guess it's all part of showbusiness "~ Elvis in his limo on his way to perform in Omaha, NE on June 19th 1977

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyJack View Post
    Ah yes...but!!! If you had been around Elvis `68 to `71 you would be mentioned in every Elvis and Priscilla thread from here to the end of the internet!!!!
    Sweet of you to say Jack but I quess I lucked out then as I wouldn't have liked the publicity I want the choice in who I let into my private life and I hate the media.

I sure would have wanted to have been attending those fabulous concerts at the time though.

Diane

For sure the '54-'58 period,to be around when he was making music history during the early years would have been thrilling to say the least!
    You Remember That Donach Ya?

Later Elton ^j^

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    The only time period I would rate over 1969 as far as a well rounded performer but still rock 'n' rollin' as much would be the January - Feburary 1970 Vegas Engagement. The addition of songs like Kentucky Rain, Don't Cry Daddy, still with rockin' songs like Polk Salad, Long Tall Sally, gives a more contemporary feel of Elvis as an artist, but still rockin' like that of 1969!
    Agreed, up until August 1970 Elvis was absolutely awesome, second to none, by Jan 1971 you can hear the songs had been sped up, Polk Salad Annie had lost the swamp vibe and gone more up tempo which kind of lost the care it had. Don't get me wrong I would still have gone to see Elvis in his worst ever show just to have said I had seen him

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpsuit Junkie View Post
    Agreed, up until August 1970 Elvis was absolutely awesome, second to none, by Jan 1971 you can hear the songs had been sped up, Polk Salad Annie had lost the swamp vibe and gone more up tempo which kind of lost the care it had. Don't get me wrong I would still have gone to see Elvis in his worst ever show just to have said I had seen him
    Yes as time went on-Elvis just seemed to rush more and more thru the rockers, and his vocal delivery seemed to not be 100% full force but on cruise control. The songs which got his full attention and ability were the songs like How Great Thou Art or Hurt....songs that meant something to him at the moment he did them.
    I'm sure boredom had something to do with it, and his own sense of what deserved his full commitment in his own mind. When I saw him in 76 I felt he gave a good show-but the 50s songs were just "there" and his real commitment came out in "Hurt" "America the Beautiful" "Steamroller Blues" he gave 100% on these songs.
    Work in Progress!

Early 70's. Sideburns,guns and Cadillacs! What a pimp!

Last edited by TCB81975; 04-30-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands....

Being a woman I'd have to say he never looked better than the 68-71 period. That leather suit and during That's the way it is, god he was so gorgeous. I still think he was good looking his entire life, even when he was bloated. But he was on fire in black leather. I also loved his style of clothing then. He had flair and knew what he looked good in. I have the 68 concert and TTWII on my IPOD; I watch them a lot. I have the dvd's and vhs too of all his concerts and some movies. Well that's just my two cents.

1975 - 1977

I wouldn't necessarily like to `hang out' with Elvis circa 75-77, but I sure wish I could have been there to help him in some way

Purely To Witness Him Vegas August 1969 And 1970 - That Would Of Been
    A Wonderful Time To Experience ELVIS IN CONCERT.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily like to `hang out' with Elvis circa 75-77, but I sure wish I could have been there to help him in some way
    That is so true Rickb. Great point!
    I'm the king of the jungle, they call me Tiger Man. If you cross my path, you take your own life in your hands....

I Picked 1971-1975. All That Touring With Him Would Have Been Great.
    Shall I Return Safe Home Again To England.

From Elvis Presley Blvd Lonniebealestreet's Avatar

I think I have to go with 1975-1977, for several reasons.

This is the man Elvis ultimately became. This is a period that is often ignored or at least one that is subjected to the most speculation because in his personal life, there were fewer people around. So part of it would be to have the question answered of what he was really like then.

Surely it was an upbeat and a much faster, more fun overall lifestyle in the earlier periods. Successes on all fronts weren't so few and far between...These were the groundbreaking whirlwind years in which Elvis Presley became ELVIS. Nothing unappealing about them to me; that final era just holds more appeal in this situation for these other reasons.

There is also the point that some of the guys have made about his personality and how it changed throughout the years. In the beginning of course he was very unaffected and innocent and humble. As his star grew, though he never truly lost who he really was, the pressures of stardom, sure -- a certain degree of big-headedness, and the effects of some of the prescriptions he was taking gave him a harder edge and made him more prone to flare-ups and unkind behavior. I imagine that in the period I selected there were still erratic, unpredictable and perhaps even paranoid episodes BUT overall I believe, and the word of others seems to point to this, that there was a softening that took place then.

Part of that may have been in sync with the physical softening and his not looking totally god-like as he had just a few years earlier. But I have to think there was more to it. I think that this is somewhat in evidence in his stage persona as well.

Of course I am speculating on these things...as I said people have to do so much with this era. Again, this is part of the reason for wanting to see it firsthand. Think of the final year or whatever when he spent all that time with Billy Smith. Only Billy really knows -- not that he remembers or chooses to share it all -- what all they talked about and what Elvis was really like at the time.

The earlier successes were still part of him too. And there was his voice. When he wasn't touring and putting himself through all of that, he had to have sounded great sitting at the piano and singing his gospels and ballads. (Compare the strained sounds of the summer of '76 with the way he sounded at the Jungle Room sessions both before and after then.) Hearing his golden voice shine in that type of setting in a period that didn't always sparkle would have been an unparalleled treat to my way of thinking.

Don't get me wrong. Being there for all the fun and happy times would have been something. But are we talking about having been a friend of his and actually lived all of that with him or just being the ol' fly on the wall? Well, if I had the chance to actually be there in his last couple years, yes, I would leap at it. In such a fantasy situation maybe I even could have changed some things. I know that wasn't the point of this exercise but...I'm just sayin'.
    ...you won't forget me when I go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12