Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ELVIS ON TOUR DVD UPDATE

Re: ELVIS ON TOUR DVD UPDATE

2012 will be the next big Elvis year so expect some major surprises. It'll also be the 40th anniversary of the On Tour filming. Releasing the footage now wouldn't be a good stretegic marketing plan by TW.

i think they should release it now
    everybody is already exited about the release this year
    so why wait another 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Of You View Post
    i think they should release it now
    everybody is already exited about the release this year
    so why wait another 2 years
    Truthfully it just boils down to maximizing their profit. EPE will make nothing from this release but Warners and Turner can make a bundle. They release it now with no extras and they know those who really want a DVD of EOT are going to buy it-the movie has already made a bundle since 1972-and everything is virtually profit after the expense of packaging and minimal marketing. Then in 2012 Turner and Warners agree on the outtakes-they come out with the 40th anniversary set, they charge a higher price for the collectors set and they rake in even more profits.
    Then later in 2022-they come out with the "ULTIMATE EOT" with even more outtakes for the 50th anniversary-and they rake in more profits......thats business.
    All the while-the film made in 72-made back its production costs turned a profit in its year of release, made a bundle in the rest of the world, sold to TV, sold on VHS in a couple of releases and the DVD releases are all just icing.
    Its just the way it works-right or wrong, fair or not.
    Work in Progress!

It's possible that a complete show could be released commercially in 2012 in the form of 'The Lost Performances'. Keep in mind that the Richmond show filmed on April 10 has yet to see the light of day with the exception of about a minute featured in EOT. If properly marketed it could be a giant seller and profit.

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    It's possible that a complete show could be released commercially in 2012 in the form of 'The Lost Performances'. Keep in mind that the Richmond show filmed on April 10 has yet to see the light of day with the exception of about a minute featured in EOT. If properly marketed it could be a giant seller and profit.
    Well proper marketing is the key-TTWII SE was poorly marketed when it was released-had no advertising, was shown first on Turner Classic Movies before release and had no extras..............and they wondered why it did not do well?????DUH
    Work in Progress!

With Elvis On Tour!!! Jungleroom76's Avatar

If I were a betting man, I would bet that this upcoming release of EOT will be nothing more than the movie on DVD. No clean-up or improvements...just a straight forward transfer to DVD. That way, they can say they finally "listened" to the fans and released EOT on DVD. Of course, they are only PARTIALLY listening as the fans have been asking for not only EOT on DVD but the outtakes as well. Then somewhere down the road, say 2012 for the 40th anniversary of EOT, they will re-release EOT with newly remastered video and audio and miraculously, Warner Bros. and Turner will have been able to reach an agreement for the outtakes!!!

I still say The Colonel didn't really pass away and they have him stashed away somewhere still making deals...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB-World...OPEN for business!!!

I'll buy this years release, yet, I'm anxious to 2012: Elvis on Tour SE, different edition without the boring stuff like TTWII SE, plus extras including the original edit now really upgraded in terms of sound and image maybe a full concert.

Yet, that might not happen, if this year DVD does sell below expectative.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungleroom76 View Post
    If I were a betting man, I would bet that this upcoming release of EOT will be nothing more than the movie on DVD. No clean-up or improvements...just a straight forward transfer to DVD. That way, they can say they finally "listened" to the fans and released EOT on DVD. Of course, they are only PARTIALLY listening as the fans have been asking for not only EOT on DVD but the outtakes as well. Then somewhere down the road, say 2012 for the 40th anniversary of EOT, they will re-release EOT with newly remastered video and audio and miraculously, Warner Bros. and Turner will have been able to reach an agreement for the outtakes!!!

I still say The Colonel didn't really pass away and they have him stashed away somewhere still making deals...

TCB!
    Mike
    Unfortunately I agree with you Mike, it's all about maximising the $$$$$$$$$$

Because they can't get any new music/footage of him, they just spin out what they already have
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

TCB Mafia

Have had EOT on DVD for many years now and will not be buying the new release. I never liked the format of the movie i.e. multi-screen for much of it which was popular at the time but not for today's audiences who prefer full screen action. Further, Elvis' appearance had deteriorated somewhat since TTWII in 1970. Hopefully, Warners will release an outtake DVD from EOT and this will make us all happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Quinn View Post
    Have had EOT on DVD for many years now and will not be buying the new release. I never liked the format of the movie i.e. multi-screen for much of it which was popular at the time but not for today's audiences who prefer full screen action. Further, Elvis' appearance had deteriorated somewhat since TTWII in 1970. Hopefully, Warners will release an outtake DVD from EOT and this will make us all happy.
    There is a widescreen version available in addition to the multi-screen version –surely that is the version Warners will release?

IMHO, I think TW will give us either a complete concert or a "best of" collection of unreleased performances from the April tour in 2012. I say this because Elvis is getting more and more popular these days and more kids are seeing that he was a dynamic performer and are taking an interest in his work. Back when the TTWII SE was shown on TCM prior to the DVD release the marketing of Elvis had a limited budget for advertising. Today that is not the case. EPE has more money and TW sees that he's still a profit maker. Otherwise his movies wouldn't be transferred to DVDHD and would only be to DVD from VHS.

I find it difficult to feel bad for the Official owners who won't release material that the bootleggers are releasing.

Sometimes, I think the official companies are behind the bootleggers as a testing the waters.

Quote Originally Posted by monk37 View Post
    I find it difficult to feel bad for the Official owners who won't release material that the bootleggers are releasing.

[B]Sometimes, I think the official companies are behind the bootleggers as a testing the waters.
    [/B

you could be right
    "NO-ONE, BUT NO-ONE,IS HIS EQUAL, OR EVER WILL BE. HE WAS, AND IS SUPREME".Mick Jagger

TCB Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by my boy View Post
    There is a widescreen version available in addition to the multi-screen version –surely that is the version Warners will release?
    Never knew about the widescreen version - hopefully, as you say, it will be that which is released.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    Unfortunately I agree with you Mike, it's all about maximising the $$$$$$$$$$

Because they can't get any new music/footage of him, they just spin out what they already have
    That's why I still feel like the ol' Colonel is still wheeling and dealing somewhere...

TCB!
    Mike

TCB Mafia

TCB!
    Mike
    When it was announced Elvis on tour was going to be put on DVD there was no mention of any bonus footage.

Unless they specifically mention that additional footage will be included it is almost always correct to say there won't be.

That's why I still feel like the ol' Colonel is still wheeling and dealing somewhere...

TCB!
    Mike

you sure don't like Tom do you Mike............

Quote Originally Posted by vivaelvis View Post
    IMHO, I think TW will give us either a complete concert or a "best of" collection of unreleased performances from the April tour in 2012. I say this because Elvis is getting more and more popular these days and more kids are seeing that he was a dynamic performer and are taking an interest in his work. Back when the TTWII SE was shown on TCM prior to the DVD release the marketing of Elvis had a limited budget for advertising. Today that is not the case. EPE has more money and TW sees that he's still a profit maker. Otherwise his movies wouldn't be transferred to DVDHD and would only be to DVD from VHS.
    EPE having more money has absolutly nothing to do with any film released by Warner or Turner, any money spent on marketing for TTWII SE, EOT, or any other Elvis film would come from whoever owns the films. I will say that as far as I saw...there was no marketing by TCM anywhere but on TCM for the TTWII SE. I recall they previewed it in a few markets in theaters but that was about it.
    The Elvis films which have gone to DVD are money makers... only because they are spending next to nothing to market them. Its faily simple and cheap to convert them to DVD.
    I recently got 8 Elvis movies on 2 DVDs at Target both priced $9.99.
    I got 8 films for $20.00. Most Elvis films are going at Walmart for $5.00, I saw a GI Blues/King Creole 2 film set for $5.99 at a local discount store. But these are plain jane releases, no extras except a trailor and maybe a few have a printed bio to read.

Now EPE did spend money and time to promote the Aloha Special SE and the 68 Comeback Special SE because they own them lock stock and barrel.
    Work in Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    When it was announced Elvis on tour was going to be put on DVD there was no mention of any bonus footage.

Unless they specifically mention that additional footage will be included it is almost always correct to say there won't be.
    At the time of the initial EOT announcement, they stated that further details would be forthcoming, so we didn't know if there would be outtakes included or not. And technically, we still don't know for sure since this latest information did not come from EPE.

But I would suspect that this information is probably correct...obviously we'll find out more when EPE releases an official announcement.

TCB!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by debtdbruno View Post
    you sure don't like Tom do you Mike............
    REALLY???

What gave it away???

TCB!
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12